BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Plse Help Stop the Arguing About 1 or 2 Tortillas on Mexican Tacqueria Tacos!
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 06:29 PM
Plse Help Stop the Arguing About 1 or 2 Tortillas on Mexican Tacqueria Tacos!

{Crossposted from Chowhound)

" I am coming to you today because I need an 'authoritative answer' to the following question, which has been much too much discussed and argued on the Boston board of Chowhound!:

Tacquerias in Mexico>> I know there are just a few of them there : ) but is there a 'norm' when it comes to the use of single or double corn tortillas on a taco? The Mexicans that i have asked in Boston have said that it depends on the tacqueria owner; that there is no "Mexican norm" from state to state or region to region, and neither is found more than the other. What is your experience there, and, if you are Mexican, what do your parents say about their experience where they grew up?

I have a few more questions that I've always wanted to ask. Plse understand that i KNOW mexico is a huge country and tacos are found in a million different variations, just like pizza and hamburgers are- here in Boston.

-- Is it common for some types or preparations of tacos to have 'messy' fillings such that the taco may fall apart as you are eating it?

-- This last question involves how tacos are handmade in Mexico. Here in Boston we have a very good tacqueria called la Verdad. It is the only tacqueria here to have latino women on staff who make their corn tortillas and gorditas. I am fortunate enough to watch these women when i regularly have lunch at this tacqueria. These woman do not use a tortilla press. They take a ball of masa and push it down into a metal ring and then they hand pat/push each one into a finished tortilla. Do most tacquerias in Mexico have hand patted tortillas that they use or are they mostly from tortilla presses? We are lucky that we have a tortilla factory here, Ricardo and Maria's, but the hand patted tortillas at La Verdad are amazing.

Please tell me your experiences there, so I can report back to the Boston board! Thanks so much."

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/762812

[Edited on 1-31-2011 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 06:37 PM

There is no argument - 1 tortilla is all you need.
If made and stored correctly, a single tortilla will not fall apart.
Less tortillas means more room for more tacos !! :biggrin:
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 06:54 PM

Most places serve one tortilla so you can taste the food inside more intensely and not get filled-up as quick- that way you will buy three or four tacos instead of two. ;)

[Edited on 1-31-2011 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 05:31 AM

One Tortilla is all you need.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 06:17 AM

Fresh masa tortillas right off the griddle are good with or without filling. Two is twice as good.:tumble:
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 07:21 AM

Doncha know? The second tortilla is a SPARE!
Eat your taco over top of the spare & everything that falls out turns into ANOTHER TACO!!!

Isn't life wonderful? :tumble::spingrin::yes:

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 07:24 AM

Since I have a problem deciding on corn or flour, I usually go with the 2 tortilla approach when given the option. This also allows me to way over stuff them and save little 'reminders' of lunch on my shirt.

I think the world is run by C- students.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 07:31 AM

I love fresh corn tortillas. The ones I buy from Mulege are really bland though. Kinda like the ones from the States. Some from Santa Rosalia have a flavor that bumps them up a notch and I could eat them plain with the same gusto as a good taco. Must be lard or something?
Oh, one per taco works for me if they're fresh.

[Edited on 1-31-2011 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 07:51 AM

I've seen them use tortilla presses everywhere here in Mexico.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 08:53 AM

Have a caste iron tortilla press. Works like a charm. Makes much better tortillas than those mass produced ones.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 09:18 AM

Two (small) corn tortillas overlapping is Mexico City style. Machine-made tortillas are most common everywhere and it is increasingly difficult to convince younger women to make them by hand. But, some of the classier restaurants will have a lady making them by hand where everyone can see her and it's still a tradition among rural families. They're just better.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 09:34 AM

I prefer the double tortilla style for my tacos - four and I´m full...

sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 01:11 PM

Usually you get a double tort when you order "cabeza" tacos. They are wetter and the second tort serves as a back-up when the first tort breaks apart.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 01:19 PM
I Agree

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
Usually you get a double tort when you order "cabeza" tacos. They are wetter and the second tort serves as a back-up when the first tort breaks apart.

Would rather have the extra if I need it, than to have filling break through and land in my lap. The moister the filling, the more one needs two tortillas.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:

Would rather have the extra if I need it, than to have filling break through and land in my lap. The moister the filling, the more one needs two tortillas.

If your single tortilla breaks, you're eating too slowly. Your taco should not have time to soak up any liquid.

:lol:

Incidentally, I note here that Tacos Los Poblanos in south Maneadero has apparently changed hands or at least its name -- it is now called Tacos El Recreo. My guess is that they're now a branch of the El Recreo that's across the highway from Tacos El Poblano farther north in Maneadero.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
Quote:
Quote:

If your single tortilla breaks, you're eating too slowly. Your taco should not have time to soak up any liquid.

Incidentally, I note here that Tacos Los Poblanos in south Maneadero has apparently changed hands or at least its name -- it is now called Tacos El Recreo. My guess is that they're now a branch of the El Recreo that's across the highway from Tacos El Poblano farther north in Maneadero.

Never tried Los Poblanos in Maneadero, I always grub at the Los Poblanos in San Quintin....the best.

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
Quote:
Quote:

Never tried Los Poblanos in Maneadero, I always grub at the Los Poblanos in San Quintin....the best.

Los Poblanos is one of our local favorites too. And is that Don Pancho I see as your new avatar???

:lol::lol::lol:

sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 04:00 PM

You know, Ron, I've known him for a few years now and I don't even know his name. He lives half way up that hill behind Don Alvaro's house. I just call him "Guero" whenever I see him and he comes. We've become good friends but he sure drinks a hell of alot of my beer:lol::lol:

Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 04:11 PM

My husband from La Paz always wants "tortillas de mano", and harina to boot. I guess his mom spoiled him with them as he was growing up, but s he doesn't even make them by hand anymore! He's been trying to convince me to make them for the 13 years that we've been married...but I have never even tried! Now he's working on my little girls (10 and 7) to make him some homemade tortillas! I came home from shopping one Saturday, and the 3 of them were in the kitchen making tortillas (and a mess!). Don't think he's convinced them that it's going to be a daily habit, yet! My suegra blames the tortillas for the arthritis she feels in her hands! Oh well, plenty we can buy around here, that taste almost as good...although hubby still compares them to his mamas!
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 04:25 PM

yuletide
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.