Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Squid
bajasuzie
Junior Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 09:57 PM
Squid

Can anyone tell me where to buy frozen squid in Cabo for shore fishing?
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 10:03 PM

A lot of stores have frozen squid in a red box, about 3lbs. Walmart, Mega, Sorianas etc all have fresh squid in the fish dept., probably frozen too if you prefer. They have clams and anything else that fish might eat too....they even have fish if you get skunked....good luck...dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
bajasuzie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 10:18 PM
Squid

Thank you dt for the info! Wish us luck!!
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 10:24 PM

When are you going?

bajasuzie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 08:14 AM

We are coming down to surf fish! Never done it before! When we were down in November, some guys were fishing on the beach where we stay and we thought we would give it a try!
Do you know if the poles are allowed as carry on for airlines? We don't want to take the chance of them not showing up:)
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 08:32 AM

People bring fishing equipment down on the airlines all the time but I don't know the details. You definitely can't carry them on. I had to go back to the counter at TJ and check my carry on because I had a fishing reel.

You can probably rent some gear at Minerva's

Perhaps other Nomads will chime in with advise.......dt

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajasuzie
Do you know if the poles are allowed as carry on for airlines? We don't want to take the chance of them not showing up:)

If you are surf fishing, you will need at least a 10-12 foot pole, these are usually made in two sections each 5-6 feet long. My guess is that is too long for carry on and they have to go with the luggage. And the eyelets will get damaged, or the tip will get snapped off by the monkeys in the baggage handling, unless you have a rod carrying tube.

Probably safer to buy a pole at Wal-mart when you arrive.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Tbone
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 09:09 AM

I bought a telescoping rod on ebay to take to Cabo for shore fishing. I paid about $20.00 for a pretty good rod that goes from 18 inches to 13 feet. I had the rod and reel in my carry-on bag with no problems.

Mas Pacifico
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tbone
I had the rod and reel in my carry-on bag with no problems.

That will depend on who you fly with. Volaris had me strip off 300 yds of Spectra :o

Alaska seems to be the most fisherman friendly as rod tube and tackle box combo only counts as one piece of luggage and no over-size fees.

In Memory of E-57
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 09:24 AM

Bajasuzie,
I understand your concern about your rods not showing up, but it usually is no big deal and they usually show up. I have flown into Los Cabos many times with my fishing gear and it has always made it. I would be more concerned with how much the airlines might charge for the rods/rod tube these days. I have always made my own rod tube out of 3" (or smaller) PVC with a solid cap on one end and a screw on cap on the other. You can probably make one for under $20 and get the supplies from Home Depot or Lowes.

If you still don't want to check your rods, go with Tbone's or Taco de Baja's suggestions. Good luck! When are you heading down?
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Quote:
I had the rod and reel in my carry-on bag with no problems.

That will depend on who you fly with. Volaris had me strip off 300 yds of Spectra :o

Alaska seems to be the most fisherman friendly as rod tube and tackle box combo only counts as one piece of luggage and no over-size fees.

Thats good to know that Alaska still doesn't charge oversize fees....
(for the rod tubes)

[Edited on 2-2-2011 by Pacifico]
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
I bought a telescoping rod on ebay to take to Cabo for shore fishing. I paid about $20.00 for a pretty good rod that goes from 18 inches to 13 feet. I had the rod and reel in my carry-on bag with no problems.

9 ferrules???

That rod may be good for small fish, but it would not last on a decent sized fish. I have a feeling a 10# Jack crevalle or Rooster will make a pile of high tech toothpics out of it.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 10:41 AM

Quote:

suzie......If you will be staying in San Jose, there is a little bait and tackle shop next door to the municipal market that carries, or used to carry, containers of frozen squid.
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Quote:

suzie......If you will be staying in San Jose, there is a little bait and tackle shop next door to the municipal market that carries, or used to carry, containers of frozen squid.

This tackle shop is one street to the south of Manual Doblado. Look for the sign to turn left on the left, it is nailed to a telephone pole.

Squid will be cheaper at a grocery store however and readily available almost everywhere seafood is available.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 10:56 AM

I made a great pole case with 5-6" diameter white drainage tubing, two end caps, and several nylon ties all bought from Home Depot for under $9USD. Glued one end closed and drilled two holes at a 45 degree angle at the ends so that the holes would go through both the cap and the pole end and used the nylon ties to keep opening end closed. It looks obviously home made so it is not attractive to robbers.

I am so proud of that pole carrier, I will never pay $80 for a pole carrier again.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor

......This tackle shop is one street to the south of Manual Doblado. Look for the sign to turn left on the left, it is nailed to a telephone pole......

I'm glad to hear this tackle shop is still in operation. A few years ago on a visit I found on the wall a rack of old original 12" DoorKnob marlin feathers on sale for 50 pesos. I bought 6 for 250 pesos and have caught countless marlin, sailfish, dorado, etc. with them. I still have some that occasionally get into the rotation for a change of pace.
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 11:12 AM

I have the guy's business card and contact info here somewhere.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 11:15 AM

My squid story- I've been travelling to baja my whole life-camping with my parents, going on busses with my backpack, hitchiking, etc.
My first trip with a boat (12' inflatable and small outboard) happened in 1996. I had practically memorized "The Baja Catch" and was more then ready. My minivan was loaded to the top with more stuff then was on The List that circulates through Nomads.
I was convinced that we needed to take 5 lbs of frozen squid for bait. I got dry ice the day before we left and put it in the freezer overnight. In the morning all that was left were a couple empty bags that the dry ice had come in. The squid was frozen so we packed the cooler and left.
Our destination was Punta Chivato and we put the boat together and promptly caught fish using lures. The squid was rapidly thawing under the May sun and before we knew it we had a river of squid juice running through our storage tent!
While I was gathering all the warm squid for a future chum line, live squid started swimming up on the beach! My buddy Johnny grabbed a couple and promptly fried 'em up for one of the best meals ever.
All those boxes of extra gear, four tackle boxes and backup to the backup never got touched. I pack about one fourth of what I took on that trip to Chivato. And my buddies always ask if I'm bringing the squid and dry ice... every trip.
Don't Take Too Much Crapola!
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 12:35 PM

If you are of a criminal bent, you can often catch your own squid. Fresh is much better bait than frozen. Here is a photo of my scofflaw daughter with one illegally jigged up one morning before first light off Islas Coronados

squidrs.jpg - 31kB
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 01:23 PM
Bill..here's another outlaw for the calaboose..

Mi old Baja amigo, Randy, with what he calls 'an accidental catch'. A scurilous character for sure.

I know him well, but love him anyway. :yes:

p.s. If there's any kind of reward for turning in illegal squid catchers, let me know. Randy's could cover my bar bill nicely.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.