Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Newbie to Baja, looking to fish
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2011 at 11:02 PM
Newbie to Baja, looking to fish

Hopefully heading down to Baja in the next week or 2. Want to get some good fishing in. I grew up in Florida and am familiar with our style of surf-fishing.

Usually a ~10ft heavy pole, double-dropper rig and a pyramid weight of around 1-3 oz depending on waves. We dig up some sand fleas or cutbait and sling it out there then bust out the beers and wait

Sound about right for Baja?

I also have a smaller rig (7ft mid-heavy) for flats/inshore fishing that I am going to bring along.

I believe we will be sticking mostly the the Eastern shores.

Heres a nice Redfish I caught in the flats off of Floridas east coast, I miss fishing back home, this Northern California fishing is way to cold for me!

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 2-7-2011 at 08:33 AM

Your setup and technique sound perfect frag. When you say Eastern shores where specifically do you mean? Most areas have variations in equipment and technique that work well locally (just like everywhere) If you can narrow down some specific areas there will probably be some "local experts" that can give advise.....

BTW, nice redfish and welcome to Nomads.....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-7-2011 at 08:43 AM

Surf fishing was one of the main draws for my family to go to Baja in the 1960's.

The prize surf fish for us is the California Corbina and two varieties of Croaker (Yellowfin and Spotfin). Caught close in, under the breakers on all sandy Pacific side beaches as well as the upper Sea of Cortez on incoming tides... cut bait, mussels, clams being the primary bait.

Photo from 1967, at Bahia Santa Maria (nothing there back then), 23 miles south of San Felipe. Pair of corbina...

corbinas.jpg - 43kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2011 at 08:46 AM

On the Pacific side of Baja... 76 miles south of Ensenada, turn west at Colonet to San Antonio del Mar...

66-67 pics 017.jpg - 37kB

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2011 at 08:48 AM

Welcome! I think you'll have a great time. Your tackle should cover most of the fishing conditions in Baja. As dtbushpilot mentioned let us know where you'll be headed and someone will lend a hand on what setups work in the area. You'll probable be pressed for time to see what Baja has to offer so mention what you'd like to see and do and you'll get a lot of really helpful advice here.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2011 at 08:54 AM

Here's a closeup of a corbina... it has a bottom facing mouth with a barb on the chin... excellent eating... best time of year to catch is late summer & fall.

The croaker, also a bottom feeder, makes a croaking sound out of the water like a frog or pig! The Yellowfin croaker is called a 'boca dulce' by the locals. Here on Nomad, 'Woody' has caught what may be the world record spotfin croaker... See his and other Baja fish varieties on http://www.MexFish.com

ccorbheadmitch.jpg - 42kB

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-7-2011 at 08:54 AM

Hola Defrag and a big ole baja style hearty welcome to this forum.
If shore fishing is your thing...come on out to Asuncion...it is going off right now...wide open bite at dusk for nice corbina, yellowfin croaker and halibut. It's a gas and fun to fish alongside the locals right in front of the campground.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BigOly
Senior Nomad

Mood: Easy Birder

[*] posted on 2-7-2011 at 09:10 AM

Or if you travel south to the tip of Baja you may catch something like this roosterfish I caught right off the beach.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2011 at 09:26 AM

Awesome photo!

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2011 at 11:45 PM

great photos!

Were not sure on our destinations yet, pretty much going to figure it out as we go in true adventure fashion. Your place looks great Shari, we might stop by we shall see!
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 07:56 AM
I'll assume you meant Sea of Cortez side

The fishing is great on the Sea. This is my main area for fishing. I do lots of rock and surf fishing. Boating out is good way too....if you have the time and patience.....otherwise rent a panga for the day ($70.00 per person)(somewhat). I tell you to rent a boat because ramps are far and few on the Sea.

Ten foot rod is not my prefers. I go with 3-5 rods of various length and flex strength pending what hole I am at and the wind conditions. My favorite is the seven footer with 40 pound test line. Use a steel led if you are going after Trigger fish. Sinkers....no. Too much loss from the cobble stone and rock of Baja (unless you are in a boat). We use finely manufactured ROCKS! Yes....I said rocks. Try before laughing.....

Do not leave home without this bible!
"The Baja Catch"

http://www.amazon.com/Baja-Catch-Fishing-Camping-California/...

Does it work, the info from this book? Yes.....I have duplicated the exact set of of the gear / boat and have stories to tell.......

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=48739#pid5615...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=48757#pid5616...

Start fishing at Puertecitos and NOT north of this town (it stinks). Work you way down to Gonzaga Bay.

BEST MADE BAIT SECRET:
Best fish to use for making your bait, in this order:
Spanish mackerel
Sand Crab
Mussel
Claim
Shrimp

Start with a box of kosher salt. Do not use iodized salt. Select a container with a flat bottom suitable for the size bait you want to cure.....Mayonnaise jar works great too BTW. Place twice the thickness of salt in the bottom as the thickness of the bait to be cured. If your bait is 1 inch thick, put 2 inches of salt in the bottom. Place the bait on the salt followed by another layer of salt over it the same depth as the starting layer. DONT GO CHEAP ON THE SALT! You can continue building layers a bait and salt until all the bait is covered in salt. Do not seal the container. If you want to cover it just place a towel over the top. It needs to be exposed to the air to dry out. Seal before you go on your vacation...it be fine by then. Unseal when vacation is over.

Small pieces of shrimp can cure in a day or so. Whole fish can take several weeks. It all depends on how much of the raw meat is exposed to the salt. All the moisture has to be drawn out of the bait by the salt before it will be cured. That’s why a whole fish can take so much longer.

The bait stays on the hook....really nicely. It almost tough to get on the hook in matter of fact :-) Less bait being stolen......if any!

It's a knock out - got you boy - yahoooooo bait!

A true story:
Learned this bait trick, down in Point Mugu , Santa Monica Mountains ocean side, in the late 70's. Old man Murf was living in a beat up station wagon...living off his catch and I assumed pension money. He was on the road for a long time...Point Mugu he was there for several years. We saw him every week end. Just a Irish of a guy. Lonely. Shaved needed. Wash clothes needed. I caution my first born about him.

He taught me how to surf fish...and boy did he! I never seen Surf Perch so big....Buttermouths....oh Gods! Without this bait...I caught zip. With it....whoa.

Old man Murf would fry the fish on his green camp stove...placed on the tailgate. Cooked to perfection! One night there as he was cooking, I asked him just what did he do for a living...he looked at me with a embarrassing smile and said "I was the VP of Firestone! Yes...it was true for I checked it out.

Anyhow...enjoy the bait secret. Older it gets ....the better. Keep reading the fishing post here...I am bout ready to drop a secret fishing hole location that will blow your socks off :-) The big ones....

Now...really important:
Rid the brown outfit you are wearing in the picture you posted. You look like a Game Warden! :o

Good fishing to you Sir.

[Edited on 2-8-2011 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Spearo
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 09:07 AM

We use spectra braid with a flourocarbon leader attached with a 14 turn albright. Lots of terminal tackle as you will be sacrificing that to the sea gods. I also pack a 5 ft cast net for making bait.
ddawson
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigOly
Or if you travel south to the tip of Baja you may catch something like this roosterfish I caught right off the beach.

BigOly, that's an epic rooster!

To the OP, I would suggest that you head far South. Here is my catch from New Years Eve 2010 off the beach in Cabo (Pacific Side).

My setup is a 7ft Seeker MH rod with a spinning reel spooled w/ 40lb spectra and 25lb flouro topshot.

I would suggest getting a Baja Catch book. There is a lot of good info. You might also want to look on youtube for how-to and technique videos for Baja. I have seen footage of guys using bigger poles in the surf line with great results.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 02:58 PM

defrag4, Welcome aboard! Those reds are sure fun to catch, also to eat. Spent the better part of Dec. and Jan. fishing the marsh country down in MS, lots of reds and specs. Looking forward to your fishing report.:D
BigOly
Senior Nomad

Mood: Easy Birder

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 04:54 PM

ddawson, You were fishing the same place I was. Just 8 or 9 years apart. I was fishing alone and my wife was watching from the Sol Mar. After about an hour of fighting this fish(20lb line and about 3 feet of 60lb leader) and one of Jeff Clauson's Rangers, I had gathered an audience from the bar. The surf really came up and I about drowned trying to revive the fish but it didn't make it. I'm so sorry for that but I gave it to the "crew" that worked there so it didn't go to waste. A magical day of fishing. 3 or 4 roosters all over 30 pounds. Jacks up the ying yang and my arms were about to fall off. Oh, and a sierra they weighed at the restaurant the guys said weighed 17 lbs! Gee maneeze. Almost a world record! Never saw anything like it before or since. And did I say?? I was fishing all alone.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ddawson
Quote:
Originally posted by BigOly

BigOly, that's an epic rooster!

To the OP, I would suggest that you head far South. Here is my catch from New Years Eve 2010 off the beach in Cabo (Pacific Side).

My setup is a 7ft Seeker MH rod with a spinning reel spooled w/ 40lb spectra and 25lb flouro topshot.

I would suggest getting a Baja Catch book. There is a lot of good info. You might also want to look on youtube for how-to and technique videos for Baja. I have seen footage of guys using bigger poles in the surf line with great results.

Oh Yes! That's a catch ddawson!

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 06:41 PM

Thanks for the info guys, all packed up and ready to head down tomorrow!
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by defrag4
Thanks for the info guys, all packed up and ready to head down tomorrow!

So........
Where you heading?

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 07:01 PM
Reel???

Dawson......what kind of reel are you using????

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 07:38 PM

No set destinations yet, Keeping it open to be a true adventure.

LA Bay, Bahia Asuncion, Bahia Concepcion, La Paz, Who knows, We are planning to be down there for about 2 weeks and going to take it easy. Primarily camping in the truck/tent and fishing/eating as we go.

Always open to suggestions!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.