DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 08:52 AM
COULD THE US BE HEADING OFF TO WAR IN A SCHOOL BUS

By Matthew D. LaPlante

The Salt Lake Tribune

First published Feb 07 2011 07:12PM
Updated Feb 7, 2011 11:12PM
Fretting over a scenario in which armed U.S. soldiers could be called to the border — or even over it — to hold back lawlessness and violence, Undersecretary of the Army Joseph Westphal invoked a contentious word to describe Mexico’s problem with drug cartels:

He called it an “insurgency.”

Speaking at the University of Utah’s Hinckley Institute of Politics on Monday, the second-highest ranking civilian official in the U.S. Army spent most of his lecture explaining the economic and bureaucratic obstacles faced by defense budget makers amid complicated challenges in the Middle East and South Asia.

But in response to a student’s question about strategic blind spots in U.S. foreign policy, Westphal switched hemispheres.

“One of them in particular for me is Latin America and in particular Mexico,” he said. “As all of you know, there is a form of insurgency in Mexico with the drug cartels that’s right on our border.”

“This isn’t just about drugs and about illegal immigrants,” he said. “This is about, potentially, a takeover of a government by individuals who are corrupt.”

Westfall — who said he was expressing a personal opinion, but one he had shared with the White House — said he didn’t want to ever see a situation in which “armed and fighting” American soldiers are sent to combat an insurgency “on our border, in violation of our Constitution, or to have to send them across the border.”

Westphal is the most senior U.S. official to publicly compare Mexico’s drug cartels to an “insurgency” since Secretary of State Hillary Clinton made a similar assessment last September.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 09:46 AM

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/02/clinton-legalize-drugs-to...

Why can’t the US legalize drugs? There’s ‘too much money in it,’ Clinton says

By Daniel Tencer
Monday, February 7th, 2011 -- 5:55 pm

In what will likely be seen as something of a Freudian slip by the US Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton said recently in a Mexican news interview that the United States cannot legalize drugs as a means of fighting the black market because "there is just too much money in it."

Asked by Denise Maerker of Televisa what she thought of drug legalization, Clinton said it was unlikely to work.

"There is just too much money in it," Clinton said. "You can legalize small amounts for possession, but those who are making so much money selling, they have to be stopped. They can’t be given an even easier road to take, because they will then find it in their interest to addict even more young people."

The comments drew criticism from legalization advocates who argued her position was a misunderstanding of the situation.

"Clinton's response illustrates not only the intellectual bankruptcy of the prohibitionist position but the economic ignorance of a woman who would be president," Jacob Sullum argued at Reason.com.

Clinton evidently does not understand that there is so much money to be made by selling illegal drugs precisely because they are illegal. Prohibition not only enables traffickers to earn a "risk premium" that makes drug prices much higher than they would otherwise be; it delivers this highly lucrative business into the hands of criminals who, having no legal recourse, resolve disputes by spilling blood.
At the Drug War Chronicle, Scott Morgan called Clinton's argument "perfectly incoherent" and argued it flew in the face of economic theory.

I can't help but wonder what everyone on the left would say if this preposterous analysis came from Sarah Palin, rather than Hillary Clinton. It's the sort of profound nonsense that ought to get you skewered by Jon Stewart, yet our Secretary of State will almost certainly get a free pass on misunderstanding literally everything about the escalating violence below our border.
Clinton's interview focused mainly on Mexico's drug war, which was launched in 2006 by President Felipe Calderon and has cost an estimated 34,000 lives, including more than 1,000 minors.

The toll's severity prompted former Mexican President Vicente Fox to come out in favor of legalizing drugs as a way of taking the steam out of organized crime.

President Calderon has not gone as far himself, but did approve legislation decriminalizing possession of small amounts of most recreational drugs, and has called for a debate on new approaches to dealing with drugs.

-- With additional reporting by Stephen C. Webster
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 10:21 AM

Dennis: Mexico has always been Coorupt,especially in their thinking about the STates.

After the PRI was defeated, a more Liberal Group took over and allowed the DOPE Connections to grow. It is very similar to what is happening in the States.

Gnud: As an Ole Timer with a Police Background I think if DOPE is made Legal that the Health Care System will surely go down the Drain.
Look at the number of Arrests of Users and Dealers. What will we do with their problems, we already have the Prisons Full from Criminals doing time for Crimes Committed while using DOPE.

We have to concentrate on teaching the next Generation that it is not always the best outcome to "If it feels Good, just do It' thing.We must learn to Control our Desires.

First thing to do is get rid of the NEA and the next is do away with the Teachers Unions. That would make a good start,People must be taught that a bunch of Govt. nannies are not the Way to go.!!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Dennis: Mexico has always been Coorupt,especially in their thinking about the STates.

WOW...I never thought of that. Now, I understand.

By the way, Skeet....it was de La Madrid, the PRI president who told the cartels of his day that if they left their money in Mexico, Mexico would leave them alone.
He didn't realize he was talking to an agressive cancer.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
"If it feels Good, just do It' thing.We must learn to Control our Desires.

Yep. You got it, Skeeter. Then, we can get rid of them nasty birth control pills. Those women out there wouldn't have to be taking them if they could control their unbridled urges.
We on the right track now.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 12:15 PM

After living across the street from a "tiendita" for a year I changed my mind about the illegality of drugs, all of it should be legalized. I saw very small children buying, police, doctors, and all sorts of "important people". What bothers me most is that they'll sell to kids in diapers and that's just one of the problems with of keeping some drugs illegal.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 12:20 PM

Dennis; Right about De La Madid.
He could not beleive the rapid growth caused by the heavy use of Dope in the States. By that time It was out of Control.

It is the GUYS Dennis, not the Ladies.The Guys have to step up to the Plate and if they are going to Feel Good they are going to have to Accept the Responsibility of their Actions.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 12:24 PM

Pam and Dennis:

I really do not like to say so but it is going to take a WAR to change things.

Look at what happened to my Generation starting off with the Great Depression, The Dust Bowl, World War 2, Korean War, Vietnam.

We and I mean many people changed our lives but not to DOPE, we went to Work, Helped opur Neighbors and did something without DOPE. Question:

Why cannot this Generation do the Same?????

WAR !!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
It is the GUYS Dennis, not the Ladies.The Guys have to step up to the Plate and if they are going to Feel Good they are going to have to Accept the Responsibility of their Actions.

Again, you are correct, Skeet. 150 million randy, horn-dogs running all over the place lusting and coupling like satyrs at a pajama party. We have lost our sense of self respect and decency.
We have to come to terms with our excesses...just like you say.
Don't give up hope quite yet, Skeeter. Hallelujah. :saint:
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Pam and Dennis:

I really do not like to say so but it is going to take a WAR to change things.

Look at what happened to my Generation starting off with the Great Depression, The Dust Bowl, World War 2, Korean War, Vietnam.

We and I mean many people changed our lives but not to DOPE, we went to Work, Helped opur Neighbors and did something without DOPE. Question:

Why cannot this Generation do the Same?????

WAR !!

well after all the USA is a WAR driven economy so be it that's your decision, but I'd rather have peace, legalize la droga and we'll have peace and prosperity in Mexico, but that's OUR business and OUR decision to make...keep la droga illegal in the USA and you'll get your war
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 01:54 PM

Some or most seem to overlook the fact that we are at war in four countries now, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Yemen and today USA has ordered multiple platoon troops to Egypt, not to mention the fact that we fund and are synonymous with Israel aggressions. We have perhaps 800 active military bases worldwide involved in daily shenanigans.

Combine these military tactics with our financial wars, food wars and space wars and one can't resist concluding we are and have been embroiled in worldwar 3 at full tilt. But mention this to the average person and they look at you sideways and say its irrelevant, yet ask them about the superbowl and they can recount every commercial and every word misspoken by Christina Aguillera while they eat plastic and aspartame.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 02:18 PM
Spot On, Kid!

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Some or most seem to overlook the fact that we are at war in four countries now, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Yemen and today USA has ordered multiple platoon troops to Egypt, not to mention the fact that we fund and are synonymous with Israel aggressions. We have perhaps 800 active military bases worldwide involved in daily shenanigans.

Combine these military tactics with our financial wars, food wars and space wars and one can't resist concluding we are and have been embroiled in worldwar 3 at full tilt. But mention this to the average person and they look at you sideways and say its irrelevant, yet ask them about the superbowl and they can recount every commercial and every word misspoken by Christina Aguillera while they eat plastic and aspartame.
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 02:24 PM
From another thread - Important Reading

Not quite sure why it was posted in the thread about corruption in Mulege rather than here, but I read the article posted below (it is quite long, very gripping, and quite graphic ~ but it changed my perspective on the "Drug War". I recommend this to all of you:

Quote:
http://variousenthusiasms.wordpress.com/2009/04/28/the-sicar...

Incredibly DISTURBING !

I don't believe that this is a "war" that the US can win via conventional means and thinking.

In fact, I'm reeling from reading this and I don't honestly know WHAT it would take ~ but it is not a simple or small task !

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 02:38 PM

read it day before yesterday and that's badas$ sh!t for sure. its war. thanks for the funding for the Merida Iniciative but it would be nice if you just let Mexico take care of itself instead, NONE of this sh!t has happened with this alarming frequency since this war on drugs was started by the PAN.

now if you wanna laugh here's a good video (foul language warning)

George Carlin "We love war"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rlqjxst6xU&feature=relat...
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 03:04 PM

Legalise pot and release all the folks in jail on pot charges.:D
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 04:28 PM
Dope dont harm me you fools!

Before and after meth user

3395872_f520.jpg - 47kB

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 04:50 PM

Hey Deno. Did you ever consider the possibility that harder drugs such as meth have proliferated in the black market simply because marijuana was not legal and available?

I just have to think that if pot was legalized , controlled and taxed, there would be an enormously reduced market for other drugs.

Problem, in my mind, is that a long time ago, the people in charge decided to label marijuana as a gateway drug, without a shred of evidence.

So, today we find ourselves with a huge bureaucracy employing thousands of people that are dedicated to achieve two goals. Goal number one is to preserve their high paying jobs. Goal number two is to somehow eradicate the biblical need for humans to get high.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 05:11 PM

"Hey Deno. Did you ever consider the possibility that harder drugs such as meth have proliferated in the black market simply because marijuana was not legal and available?"

Sorry odd, this doesn't pass the smell test. Marijuana is just, if not more so available as meth or any other harder drug. Meth was her drug of choice, I have no doubt that meth wasn't the first drug she tried. She probably started by sneaking her parents booze like the rest of us, I'm also relatively sure that she was smoking pot before she started doing meth......dt

[Edited on 2-9-2011 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 05:23 PM

Not really looking to get into a debate. My observation was on a generic level. Just have to believe that if there was widespread legal availability of pot, and maybe even a few other drugs, the stories we read about hard core addicts would be fewer.

Face it. There is a significant percentage of our population that are genetically predisposed to abuse. Whether it's cigarettes, booze, or drugs, the verdict is in.

Science has shown that
many of our friends, brothers and sisters have a disease. I just think that as a pragmatic approach to that, we could control the available intoxicants and just maybe eliminate a big proportion of the crap.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 05:48 PM
opps.....I didn't have clue

But: I can tell you that since 1983 I have acquired and / or built Nightclubs in Sacramento to the last one in downtown San Francisco (48000 sq ft of club). I have not only owned the clubs, I worked them too. from bartender to bouncer (whoops...security)..to floor host. I have seen the nightlife. I seen the drugs (dope is dope is dope)(liqueur is a legal drug). I have seen "just a weeeeee bit" of a snort gal to a freakin crank hoar... smoking crank and pot. Dont get me started on the use of drugs being innocent. Bullchit.

I know more about the drug culture than anyone here at this board....including the retired cops here. Yes...and I hang out with retired cops and a retired Federal District Attorney that is my best friend here in Sacramento. The stories are not innocent nor cute. my friend quit because of the sickening aspects of the drug culture...kept getting worst and beyond help.

Hey...I aint not angel. The rest of you here are angels, compare to me I am sure. Go ahead...have a drink or two. Go ahead and blast a line or two. See if I care. Just stay the hell away from me and my family when you become a drunk or a tweeker. I really hate the POTS SMOKERS the most. They act like zombies and marooons........not all of of them.

Fact is in this country....all crime, all criminal issues... are coming from 3% of the population. The rest of the 97% of the population complies with the common law of our land. That 3% will jump higher with the legalization of drugs.

What to do about drugs?

Execute drug manufactures (meth labs to cola converters).
Execute drug dealers classified as 3 time felons.
Execute drunk drivers and druggie drivers involved with death

Just because you cant beat it...you don't freaking join the club!!!

[Edited on 2-9-2011 by mcfez]

drug.jpg - 9kB

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.