Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: New Tires for Tacoma Today: Hankook Dynapros
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

cool.gif posted on 2-18-2011 at 12:32 AM
New Tires for Tacoma Today: Hankook Dynapros

The stock tires on the Tacoma (BFG Rugged Trails) with only 20,590 miles have already had two rock punctures in Baja and a nail up here... tread is getting pretty light... enough/ basta!!

On previous Tacomas I have (after the BFGs) Pep Boys Futura (Destiny now) Dakotas, Cooper Discoverer STTs, Cooper ATRs, and Toyo Open Country ATs.

I like trying tires... I only wish they were way cheaper and didn't last so long so I could try more!

I was wanting to try the new General Grabber (designed after the off road racing model, with red letters), but it is not yet available in a size that fits an un-raised/ un-modified Tacoma... as well as being very pricey (so far).

Now, I need both good and 'cheap'... I have had real good luck with the Toyo and Cooper ATR on my last Tacoma... but, as I said...I like trying new tires that get good reviews from off roaders/ Tacoma drivers... One of the tires that had no bad reviews and just lots of good reports is the Hankook Dynapro ATm.

I went with a tire one inch taller than stock (which adds 1/2" of ground clearance)... 265/75-16 (a 32" tire)... Price about $141... and installed, tax, etc. under $690.

I got them on late this afternoon, so no big test yet... but they were quiet on the road driving home... Stay tuned for future reports!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 05:48 AM

there is no such thing as good and cheap. They are mutually exclusive.

Price, service, quality - pick any combination of 2 out of the 3.

you might try and like the Maypop 500s i used to run with. Excellent retreads. you see them all over the interstates.:lol::lol::lol:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 06:31 AM

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.js...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
He did... good + cheap = quality + price.

;D

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 07:18 AM

Im running the same tire {10 ply} on my F350 Crew. 9000# truck goes through tires quickly. I use to run Toyo MT's and AT's great tire but they wear out quickly, 30-35K. So far so good on the Dyna Pros.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 07:32 AM

Hmm so DK finally admits that the BFGs suck big time! 20,000 with two rock punctures is a sign of poor quality.

The new tires are used by many people in Baja and here they go for 2600-2800 pesos.
bajatravelergeorge
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 08:09 AM

I just put a set of yokohama geolander at-s on my 4x4 ford escape. I'll provide reviews as well.
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajatravelergeorge
I just put a set of yokohama geolander at-s on my 4x4 ford escape. I'll provide reviews as well.

I think you will like them - I have a set on my 2005 Tacoma and really like them. I don't do much off roading, however, I have a friend in Mulege who does and he says the Geolanders are much better than the original factory tires. Jim
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 08:42 AM

I just go to Costco and get Michelins for my Tacoma. The last set I had, and I kid you not , had 100,000 miles on them. The new ones are the comparable to the last, they are Michelin X Radial LT2. After my last time in Baja I took it in to get rotated and the guy comes out and said "I haven't seen these square nails for a while". I knew where those came from!! There were 2 and unfortunately 1 was in the wall and I needed a new tire. Luckily they have road hazard warranty and I only had to pay $50 for the replacement. I do go off road a lot in Baja but mostly I drive on normal pavement.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Hmm so DK finally admits that the BFGs suck big time! 20,000 with two rock punctures is a sign of poor quality.

The new tires are used by many people in Baja and here they go for 2600-2800 pesos.

You must not read my tire posts? I am often 'harassed' for being anti BFG, here... The world knows the All Terrain T/A is the #1 Baja (popular) tire...

However, I have seen far too many sidewall failures with a tire that uses the 3 ply sidewall as a selling factor... I would only have them if they were given to me!

The Tacoma Off Road truck (all three of mine) comes with the BFG Rugged Trails... and the most I have gotten from them is 25,000 miles... and that was after several flat tires, too!

I have gotten a flat or two of the Pep Boys Dakotas... they also lasted only 25,000 but were very cheap and had a 50,000 mile warantee so the replacements were 1/2 price!

Not one flat on any of the others (two types of Coopers and the Toyos).... The Cooper Discoverer STT tire gave me nearly 45,000 miles but was very noisy on the highway and was terrible in Sand (but great in mud). The Cooper Discoverer ATR and Toyo Open Country AT, both gave me about 35,000 miles (estimated on the ATR because they were on the '05 Tacoma when I traded it for the '10).

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 09:01 AM

So....I think I get part of this: BFG "Rugged Trail" tires that are original equipment on the Toyota are junk...duh!....and duh!...that is SOP. But I am confused about David's statement that he has seen too many failures in tires that "advertise a 3 ply side wall." So advertising is bad....duh!...I get it. But David, how many failures have you seen on BFG T/As with 3 ply side walls...advertised or not.

BTW...I am on my 8th!! set of those things and I have never had so much as bump.

BB :-)
bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 09:45 AM

I'm with Bucko! The BFG All Terrain TA KO's are a completely different tire than the BFG Rugged Trail tire. I've owned both and I'm on about my sixth pair of All Terrains KO tires!

I'm not new to 4X4's and tires. I've owned and driven trucks in baja since 1967!

[Edited on 2-18-2011 by bigboy]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.js...

Doug, that chart does not have my new tire included... the model I have is the ATm RF10

Here is the Hankook model on your chart... it doesn't even belong rated with the other AT tire, if you ask me!:

[Edited on 2-18-2011 by David K]

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 09:54 AM

DK-

I'm amazed with all the flats you get. I don't want to jinx myself but the only flat I've had in all my years was the result of a nail.

I wonder if there is something else going on besides the tire :?:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonanza bucko
So....I think I get part of this: BFG "Rugged Trail" tires that are original equipment on the Toyota are junk...duh!....and duh!...that is SOP. But I am confused about David's statement that he has seen too many failures in tires that "advertise a 3 ply side wall." So advertising is bad....duh!...I get it. But David, how many failures have you seen on BFG T/As with 3 ply side walls...advertised or not.

BTW...I am on my 8th!! set of those things and I have never had so much as bump.

Plenty... the sidewall failures were all on All Terrain TA's... I was with Amo Pescar on his truck's first Baja trip with brand new All Terrain TAs... sidewall rip... on a sandy road (no rocks around... He and Neal Johns had to put multiple tire plugs to try and seal it, so we would have a spare the rest of the trip. Ask Ken Cooke who also was dismayed by BFG All Terrain failures seen on the trail.

For most folks it is a great tire... but the sidewall construction is not bulletproof when it comes to failures off road. They are also overpriced compared to others... and that is probably to pay for all the advertising?

My wife had a CJ-5 Jeep and it had All Terrains on it, and she LOVED them... so this is a divided house! LOL

I am glad you and others like them... nothing wrong with your joy, at all.:light:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 10:06 AM
BFG Rugged Trail TAs

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
DK-

I'm amazed with all the flats you get. I don't want to jinx myself but the only flat I've had in all my years was the result of a nail.

I wonder if there is something else going on besides the tire :?:

On the 2010... flat #1 was at 13,000 miles... nearing Laguna Chapala southbound from Coco's Corner... driving a normal clip (for me) ~35-40 mph. Fixed with one plug... patched the next day in El Rosario.

Flat #2 was at 16,000 miles... just a few miles down the Punta San Carlos road going to Las Pintas. Took two plugs to seal... returned to El Rosario to have a patch installed, then returned to go Las Pintas.

I don't remember getting any flats on the '05, but I did replace them with Cooper STTs pretty young in their life.

On my 2001 Tacoma... many flats on my trip to Cabo... all while on dirt roads... the tires were pretty well worn before the trip.

bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 10:25 AM

DK...kind of sounds like fishing.....I usually get skunked with the same pole mi esposa limits out on.

As above, I've had nothing but continuing good luck with the TAs. If price were not an issue what brand and tire would you buy?

BB:-)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
there is no such thing as good and cheap. They are mutually exclusive.

mikey:
your 2 statements don't agree. which are you standing by? does your statement apply to all things in life or just tires?
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by bonanza bucko

Plenty... the sidewall failures were all on All Terrain TA's... I was with Amo Pescar on his truck's first Baja trip with brand new All Terrain TAs... sidewall rip... on a sandy road (no rocks around... He and Neal Johns had to put multiple tire plugs to try and seal it, so we would have a spare the rest of the trip. Ask Ken Cooke who also was dismayed by BFG All Terrain failures seen on the trail.

For most folks it is a great tire... but the sidewall construction is not bulletproof when it comes to failures off road. They are also overpriced compared to others... and that is probably to pay for all the advertising?

My wife had a CJ-5 Jeep and it had All Terrains on it, and she LOVED them... so this is a divided house! LOL

I am glad you and others like them... nothing wrong with your joy, at all.:light:

I will have to agree with you DK about the BFG All-Terrains. I've have had several sets in the past and have had several sidewall problems. It is a known problem with that model of tire..... Now, for offroad, I only run the BFG Baja T/A. It is a very impressive tire!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 11:03 AM

drove to panama and back...went thru 13 tire's...mostly 16.5 's and the boat trailer were 13" finding those size's in hondura,nicarigo,guatamala,,,,could write a good book about trying to locate those tire's LOL
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.