Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Driving Sonora highway 003 around the Sea
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 06:37 PM
Driving Sonora highway 003 around the Sea

Last weekend I decided to drive from San Carlos, Sonora to the campos south of San Felipe, Baja Ca., Norte. and back.

En route to SF from SC, I went through four checkpoints; the big military one at Benjamin Hill, one near Caborca, Sonora, one below Luis B. Sanchez, Sonora and the one at the junction of Hwy 5 and Hwy 3. Pretty much the same on the way back EXCEPT THAT THE NEW ADUANA CHECKPOINT EAST OF CABORCA IS NOW IN OPERATION. This MIGHT have replaced the one just south of Sonoita, Sonora; I dont know. The red light/green light jig was not being used; they stopped and talked to EVERYONE, usually very briefly. I was a nutin'-to-declare.

The road is in great shape and in many areas, speeds of 80-85 are possible for long stretches.

Hwy 4 between Luis B. Sanchez and Hwy 5 has many stretches being worked on and the new pavement is excellent.

There are two dirt detours between La Ventana and the 3/5 junction on Hwy 5. One is pretty rough going.

It really pays to look for roadside vege stands in northern Sonora. So many things being grown there. Right now, asparagus was being harvested and I loaded up. Three bundles for 20 pesos, any thickness you want.

I last drove this route about two years ago and I was surprised at the increased number of grapes being grown between Caborca and San Francisco. I expect it's table grapes in that extremely hot area.

Grande shrimp being hawked to the gringos in the south campos was 250/kilo for blues and 220/kilo for the browns., starting prices. Dickering is possible.

[Edited on 2-25-2011 by Hook]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-24-2011 at 08:05 PM

Any map of Sonora roads so we can visualize the route, Hook?

Did you use the 'new' highway from Puerto Peņasco to El Golfo? Is there a coastal highway from Puerto Peņasco down to San Carlos/ Guaymas?

Thanks!

Baja Angel and I are planning a Puerto Peņasco trip in 2 years... and we will see some other spots in Sonora, too.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.