krafty
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2011 at 10:28 AM

love happy endings!
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-27-2011 at 11:18 AM

If you have NOB dental insurance you may be able to save even more as some dentists in the border areas are affiliated with certain plans and will accept a reduced copay as well.

Definitely worth asking...

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2011 at 11:29 AM

Wow!! Good one!! I am sending this along to someone I know who needs this sort of help. Thanks for this post!

Iflyfish
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2011 at 04:20 PM

Gawd! I just had a root canal here in OC, with so-called dental insurance, and my out of pocket cost was $650! Guess I know where I'm headed next when dental work is needed.

Thanks for the info.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-27-2011 at 04:29 PM

keep going south,,that was a good deal!! but it's lot better price's sur!!
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2011 at 04:34 PM

I'm interested in the words "getting numbed and being sore" toward the end of your post, as it sounds like you did neither!:O

So what was the anesthetic? I'm pretty dentaphobic, can't do it without nitrous oxide in addition to novacaine.:no:
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2011 at 04:59 PM

Just a small personal editorial- Diver mentions the soreness from the injection sites. I guess I've been around either too long, or just long enough to recall when dentistry was done in the absence of any anesthetic. Simple cavities, for example, that could be repaired without any or with very little pain. I've always believed that in the case of a number of dental procedures, administration of injected anesthetic was mnore for the dentisit's peace of mind than for the patient. After all, if the dentist is certain that you will feel nothing, there is no reason for he or her to be gentle. JMHO.

But before y'all want to jump on my post, root canal is not what I am referring to here.
bigdog1

[*] posted on 3-5-2011 at 08:22 AM

Here in San Felipe I am getting 8 small fillings where my gums are receding ( old age you know, also called 'long in the tooth' ) and 4 large fillings to replace old fillings which contained mercury. I have had 4 appointments with one more to go. No pain and I actually look forward to going because the dentist and staff are so friendly.
This is at Melinas 'California Dental Spa' on Mar Caribe. Total cost for 12 fillings........$560. U S

south of San Felipe--close to heaven
grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2011 at 12:28 PM

Respectfully...as a retired dentist with a US education and training, and being quite aware of some of the dentistry being done in Mexico, especially the border towns; I would admonish you to recall the old proverb "you get what you pay for". ( I am also a Mexican citizen.)
drarroyo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2011 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grizzlyfsh95
Respectfully...as a retired dentist with a US education and training, and being quite aware of some of the dentistry being done in Mexico, especially the border towns; I would admonish you to recall the old proverb "you get what you pay for". ( I am also a Mexican citizen.)

Very intriguing response. Are you implying the 'dental revolution' (major headway in last 10-15 yrs) south of the border is a myth? Have you personally had to right some wrongs?
We hear that while there's still some bad apples ... finding reputable practitioners SOB can result in incredible dental cost savings.
Or are YOU still 'living in the past'?
Serious questions... and I'd be fascinated with your response.(et al) (Hey,there's a first time for everything ...even at BajaNomad.depends) !!:lol:
grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2011 at 02:10 PM

I personally repaired many (an I mean hundreds) of botched cases, and my employees did the same. You think this is new? Its been going on for many years. A mexican dentist will, for a fee...put cheap gold "caps" on the front teeth of an otherwise beautiful Mexican girl. Root canals are done by dubious methods. I could go on....but you and the other bargain hunters have your minds made up, and my 30 years of experience at the chair will not change that.
drarroyo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2011 at 02:52 PM

Quote:
I personally repaired many (an I mean hundreds) of botched cases, and my employees did the same. You think this is new? Its been going on for many years. A mexican dentist will, for a fee...put cheap gold "caps" on the front teeth of an otherwise beautiful Mexican girl. Root canals are done by dubious methods. I could go on....but you and the other bargain hunters have your minds made up, and my 30 years of experience at the chair will not change that.

My father was a dentist in another land. I respect your feedback 1000% (I think you may have kinda mis-read my questions)
I'm looking for 'qualified' opinions and thank you greatly! Salut
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2011 at 07:53 AM

I mentor a group of young men the in the building trades from the Slavic community in our area. Their church organizes dental trips to TJ a few times a years; literally 100s of people go on these.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2011 at 03:04 PM
All American Dentists are far superior than Baja's

Quote:

Bargain hunters such as you? You got to be kidding...is this why you are living in the east cape.... cheaper housing, maid service and such in Baja? :o

Here's a VERY partial list (below) of your fellow practitioners:

#
Woodland Dentist Convicted of Molesting Patients | News10.net ...
- 2:03pm
Mar 10, 2009 ... Woodland Dentist Convicted of Molesting Patients After eight days of deliberation, a Yolo County jury found Dr. Mark Anderson guilty of ...
www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=56070&catid... - Cached

#
Dentist Convicted for Fondling Patients' Breasts | NBC Bay Area
Mar 11, 2009 ... WOODLAND, Calif. -- A Sacramento-area dentist accused of groping his female patients was found guilty Tuesday on 11 felony counts and one ...
www.nbcbayarea.com/.../NorCal-Dentist-Convicted-for-Fondling... - Cached
#
Dentist Convicted of Medicaid Fraud Tells a Cautionary Tale for ...
Jul 17, 2008 ... The devil is in the details. It's an old saying that speaks volumes. The lesson is, if you don't pay attention to the details, the costs can ...
community.pennwelldentalgroup.com/forum/topic/show?... - Cached - Similar
#
Orange County dentist convicted of killing 3 with anesthesia ...
Jul 22, 2010 ... An Orange County dentist convicted in 1984 of killing three patients was granted parole Wednesday, his attorney said.
www.foxnews.com/.../california-dentist-convicted-killing-ane... - Cached
#
Governor Schwarzenegger revokes parole for OC dentist convicted of ...
Dec 31, 2010 ... Governor Schwarzenegger, in one of his last acts as California's chief executive, has revoked the parole granted a Costa Mesa dentist who ...
www.scpr.org/news/2010/12/31/dentist-no-parole/ - Cached

[Edited on 3-7-2011 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2011 at 04:38 PM

Grizzlyfsh95 makes a valid point. If you shop based solely on price you'll get bit. I did and it cost hundreds and several visits to remedy the problem. I now have a dentist I trust implicitly even though she charges 25% more than the border shops. Still a bargain over States prices, though.

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 3-7-2011 at 06:33 PM
Remember, Diver's Original Post

Stated that you should pick quality over price and get personal referrals.

He DID NOT recommend picking a dentist at random based on lowest cost.

Dr. Avila in Rosarito has has several offices and runs a teaching college; he has been in business for over twenty years.

Coincidentally, (HAH! I used a pun), several years ago, I had a root canal done in the U.S. and it cost somewhere north of $1500, and, they never apologized or adjusted the fee for botching up the filling that caused the infection that caused the need for a root canal.

Three years later, I needed another root canal and I visited Dr. Avila. The procedure was quick, efficient and relatively pain free during and after--nothing like my experience with the U.S. dentist. As I recall, the cost was $450

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2011 at 04:25 PM

and I have posted here before, we have a dentist in TJ that I have been going to for over 20 years, my kids were all treated by him, tooth removals, fillings, he is just fantastic.

Samuel Gomez

and we just met a guy in Laka Chapala who went to Algondones to get teeth work done, found out he had to wait 10 days for his stuff to arrive, so he hopped on a bus to get R & R in Lake Chapala. Talk about a nice vacation !!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
newtobaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 01:05 AM

Can I get a few recommendations on good dentists in tijuana or ensenada? I will need dental implants this year

thanks
O.G.
Nomad

Mood: waiting for the green flash

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by newtobaja
Can I get a few recommendations on good dentists in tijuana or ensenada? I will need dental implants this year

thanks

I have used Dr. Ricardo Carrera in T.J. He lectures at Loma Linda University in the U.S. Had two implants done by him. $1700 per implant; $1900 for a sinus lift. Excellent work. His U.S. number is: (619) 202 0233
newtobaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 11:53 PM

thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by O.G.
Quote:
Originally posted by newtobaja

thanks

I have used Dr. Ricardo Carrera in T.J. He lectures at Loma Linda University in the U.S. Had two implants done by him. $1700 per implant; $1900 for a sinus lift. Excellent work. His U.S. number is: (619) 202 0233
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.