Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Netting rules?
maspacifico
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2011 at 11:03 AM
Netting rules?

A spearfisherman friend just stopped by. Said he'd been checked for a fishing license while out on his kayak. I was shorefishing and saw the boat come up to him, and to the three or four pangas that have moved into the neighborhood. The pangas have been setting drift nets for a couple weeks. I've never seen a specific rule regarding Mexicans using drift/gill nets. Are they legal? I'm south of Los Frailes.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-13-2011 at 11:27 AM

Yep, They're legal. And they're killing the Sea of Cortez with 'em.:(
maspacifico
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2011 at 05:29 PM

Just back from the beach. Not sure what the official guy said to the netters, but they packed up and left....think they are headed to North Idaho to do some tuna fishing.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2011 at 05:37 PM

:lol:
maspacifico
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2011 at 05:55 PM

This whole thing is a mystery to me. I have never seen anyone get checked for anything here. The only time we see anyone "official" is either at Christmas when the cops make their annual visit for donations (and that is THE ONLY time we see them), or, if it's a "permit guy" with his hand out. The boat that checked on people today came from the South and the only place to put a boat in the water South of here is La Playita, or, Los Cabos Marina, or, whatever that place is now called. Nice day for a boat ride, but that's not an easy cruise for a government official. I am not sure why the netters left, actually not sure why they came because there hasn't been much here for a month or so. I hope they left because there was actually someone checking up on them. Pretty sure everyone would pay a lot more for their license if things were on the up and up. Wishful thinking.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2011 at 12:00 PM

It is my understanding that the East Cape and the Cabos area was made off limits to netting due to the work of the resort and hotel associations. The East Cape Charter captains were able to remove any nets found and the net situation has been enforced by PESCA officials. So that may well be what you witnessed. Now if we could only get them to act up north in our area. Yellowtail fishing has been the pits this year and last week we got to witness the net fishermen working the rocks at San Marcos Island and hauling in over 30 tons of fish, ripe with spawn.

Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 3-14-2011 at 12:34 PM

There is plenty of netting happening at East Cape both legal and illegal. Mas Pacifico...the pangas from Boca del Tule south of you have permits, or so I'm told. I've seen them set up to 4 gill nets along the beaches in that area. No idea what they are targeting but it's insane they are allowed to fish that way.
Commercial pangas aside...I frequently see guys fishing gill nets from shore at East Cape. No enforcement to be seen of course.
1bobo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2011 at 01:05 PM

Twice last week I witnessed what (appeared) to be a panga stretching a net between the pangeuro beach and the lighthouse at the mouth of the estuary. I can't imaging that's legal, but...

It's not my country. What really got me angry was trying to fish the mouth of the Klamath among and between the "native" gill nets. Those people are armed and frequently fire shots to get your attention. I won't go back.

Eventually someone around here will realize they are being short sighted and put a stop to the rape. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2011 at 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1bobo
Eventually someone around here will realize they are being short sighted and put a stop to the rape. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

Don't hold your breath.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2011 at 09:24 AM
Klamath

Oh yeah....what a joke those rules up there. And the wonder why the fishing got so bad. Anyone using a net in any country.....deserves to fall into their net and hit the bottom.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2011 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
It is my understanding that the East Cape and the Cabos area was made off limits to netting due to the work of the resort and hotel associations. The East Cape Charter captains were able to remove any nets found and the net situation has been enforced by PESCA officials. So that may well be what you witnessed. Now if we could only get them to act up north in our area. Yellowtail fishing has been the pits this year and last week we got to witness the net fishermen working the rocks at San Marcos Island and hauling in over 30 tons of fish, ripe with spawn.

that is my understanding too...
it is a realitivly new law. i read about it about a month ago...somewhere?

Glad they checked the spearfisherman, they need to check everyone who fishes.

If you fish you should have a license..period. shorefishing, kayak, boat, spearfishing..it don't matter.

yes...I know that shorefisherman don't need licenses, but that law was based on providing subsistenence for the locals... Buying a license helps fund the authorities which are responsible to enforce the rules and regs such as making sure the nets are not used.

[Edited on 3-20-2011 by fishabductor]
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2011 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Oh yeah....what a joke those rules up there. And the wonder why the fishing got so bad. Anyone using a net in any country.....deserves to fall into their net and hit the bottom.

using your logic...

anyone wearing a viking hat deserves to trip and fall on it bottom first...

yes I come from a legitimate commercial fishing family and I am proud of it!

However I am all for regulation and closures to protect the resource. I am a sportfisherman at heart.

fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2011 at 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1bobo
Twice last week I witnessed what (appeared) to be a panga stretching a net between the pangeuro beach and the lighthouse at the mouth of the estuary. I can't imaging that's legal, but...

It's not my country. What really got me angry was trying to fish the mouth of the Klamath among and between the "native" gill nets. Those people are armed and frequently fire shots to get your attention. I won't go back.

Throw a hay bail off a upstream bridge...it'll knock out the river nets...or so I have heard:lol:
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor

If you fish you should have a license..period. shorefishing, kayak, boat, spearfishing..it don't matter.

yes...I know that shorefisherman don't need licenses, but that law was based on providing subsistenence for the locals... Buying a license helps fund the authorities which are responsible to enforce the rules and regs such as making sure the nets are not used.

Couldn't agree any less on the shore fishing. Keep the license requirement off the backs of shore anglers. There is plenty of cash coming in from the sale of licenses for boat bound anglers. I was told not long ago that license sales in Baja Sur amount to a monthly total in the many tens of thousands of dollars. Yet there are still plenty of nets and very little if any enforcement.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 08:24 AM

The Panguero netters are working the shoreline around the mine and further south. Some have divers that gather their nets into a circle. They are taking everything. The rocks there used to be the habitat for Cabrilla, Trigger Fish, Grouper and Yellowtail.

Up until a couple of weeks ago the shrimpers were working around Wilbur's hole, and also just offshore from El Patron. It has been difficult making bait as a result. They must have taken everything and gone back to Guaymas, because they are not there now.

This is the first year we got skunked by Pinto Bass. Before, you could count on them as a sure thing.:fire:

fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
Quote:

Couldn't agree any less on the shore fishing. Keep the license requirement off the backs of shore anglers. There is plenty of cash coming in from the sale of licenses for boat bound anglers. I was told not long ago that license sales in Baja Sur amount to a monthly total in the many tens of thousands of dollars. Yet there are still plenty of nets and very little if any enforcement.

I fish that stretch everytime I put in and rarely see a net in the water, in fact I used to put in exclusively at tule. There are nets there for sure, but the palo escopeta guys(tule) do have permits or at last did before the law changed.

I agree that there is zero enforcement. I have never been checked once in 8 yrs!!

10's of 1000's is nothing when you really think about it. A new super panga goes for about $30k plus judging on what I have seen used ones selling for in barriles.

I agree that the locals should not be required to have a license to fish from shore, but us "rich" gringos can afford to buy a license for $50, we need it in the states, why should it be any different here in baja, esp. when the fish belong to the mexican people. I paid $700mn for mine in La paz last time around!

One of the main problems is that the coop anglers have a lot of friends in high places. I heard that the fish buyer is actually a political figure or a close relative to one...but this may just be a rumor.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
Quote:

I fish that stretch everytime I put in and rarely see a net in the water, in fact I used to put in exclusively at tule. There are nets there for sure, but the palo escopeta guys(tule) do have permits or at last did before the law changed.

I agree that there is zero enforcement. I have never been checked once in 8 yrs!!

10's of 1000's is nothing when you really think about it. A new super panga goes for about $30k plus judging on what I have seen used ones selling for in barriles.

I agree that the locals should not be required to have a license to fish from shore, but us "rich" gringos can afford to buy a license for $50, the fish belong to the mexican people.

The fish are gone. The Mexican people? They're still there.
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 01:13 PM

The fish are here, but like a steelhead you need to get out and find them. I rarely get skunked when I go out, so I know there are at least a bunch of stupid fish out there.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
The fish are here, but like a steelhead you need to get out and find them.

Comparing fishing for steelhead to catching a mess of fish in the Sea Of Cortez says it all. Thanks for the comparison.:(
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Quote:
The fish are here, but like a steelhead you need to get out and find them.

Comparing fishing for steelhead to catching a mess of fish in the Sea Of Cortez says it all. Thanks for the comparison.:(

How close are you to the Clearwater? My buddy hit 5 metalheads there about a month ago.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.