Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Today on the water
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-19-2011 at 06:11 AM
Today on the water

I was thinking of What to fish for today? ….and What to use…? Hmmm…?? Hmmm…..hmm..ouch..

Well, my head started to hurt… so I quit thinking, closed my eyes, and tried to relax…but then the voices started coming from my tackle box.

I heard this:

“Hey, there…going fishing again? Here’s what to do. Use this….The jig: every fisherman’s ‘meat and potatoes’. Listen up, Pompano….you can fish this versatile lure anywhere on the globe… in fresh and saltwater. It is one of the most dependable ways to provide a good fish dinner.

Are you writing this down?

Why are you covering your ears?”

So…for some reason….Today I decided to try some ultralight gear using a plain white marabou-style jig.

The rod: a custom graphite 6’ ¾ oz action.

The reel: a Diawa SL20SH 6.1:1 hi-speed level-wind.

The line: 4lb mono Berkely (tomorrow I try Fireline 4lb. as a comparison and will troll #5 walleye shadraps along the 25-45 ft structure edges.)

I got going at the crack of dawn. Sometimes you have to wait for the ‘crack!’, but today it was right on time.

Using my super-sophisticated sonar/fishfinder/gps/toaster, I began checking for the proper fish structure in various depths along the Pt. Conception shoreline. This is very good scientific way to locate the fish…requiring a great deal of skill and experience.

Another good way.…is to look ahead and see fish jumping out of the water….while birds dive in amongst them. This is a very good way to locate the fish…requiring only a minimum IQ like the skipper of this boat..

Some sights of the day: The gypsum freighter from San Marcos island underway with another load…destined for Bremerton.

One of the most long-lived fish camps in the Mulege area. Playa Domingo at Pt. Conception.

Playa Domingo. Where I pull ashore for a cool one break….

..And to take a photo of today’s fun…fishing with an ultra-light and a white jig …just like I do for walleyes Up North. Hey, it’s all fun.

Note: tomorrow put on sunscreen…..ouch! Those smarty-pants 'voices' never mentioned that, did they??

[Edited on 3-20-2011 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 3-19-2011 at 06:18 AM

Hey, dinner Pomp! Great day with Dra. Bajabass on the water yesterday. One needlefish and one trigger. :no: Oh well, next time.

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 3-19-2011 at 06:36 AM

Thanks much... that was fun.... :):)

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-19-2011 at 06:39 AM

Pompano, Thanks for the report and pictures. Fish for dinner!:D
tattuna
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 10:26 PM

Cabrilla on 4 lb is impressive!
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2011 at 08:03 AM

Bimini for Christmas?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2011 at 08:19 AM

Wow! #4 is a bit on the ridiculous side isn't it. I thought a #10 flouro topshot was light! You did an exceptional job hauling in those beauties on #4! The more I look at your photos the more I think there must be a typo. It looks like at least #20 line? Anyway with that heavy jig and #4 you the man!:o

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2011 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Bimini for Christmas?

You betcha, Ken! But it was not a Xmas present....got it from Co-Pilot for Dec. birthday. I am just too damn busy to install it. Please stop by and help! Will pay in beer and hammock time.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 3-21-2011 at 08:36 AM

Didn't even pay any attention to the # test used... that is light... we used to fish off the rocks in La Mision with 4#-6# for small perch... with mussels.. and our fresh water gear, .... that used to be really fun... and we did ok too...

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2011 at 08:53 AM

I thought I remembered you talking about finding one you liked, good news. When I look at your boat I start squinting!:lol::lol::lol:

You'll want that baby on before my next trip south.

By the way, on your recommendation, we ate at Danny's on a Saturday for his carnitas. My my was that good. We ordered two each with some bean soup, them two more. Then it occurred to me, like the table next to us, we should have ordered a kilo. Next time. Funny how that Mulege date fed Pig turns you into one. :lol:

[Edited on 3-21-2011 by tripledigitken]
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2011 at 09:00 AM

I was going to get a bimini last time up north, but figured it would just get in the way on a 16' tin boat. I seem to end up chasing fish doing circles around the boat too often for a bimini to work for me.

So I depend on suncreen, big brimmed hats, Cabelas sun shirts, and ex officio pants all exceeding 30spf except for the suncreen which is 50spf.

Looked like you had a great day, I was thinking about you on my drive through 2 days ago, but couldn't remember which beach you lived on.

fish on my friend
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2011 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Wow! #4 is a bit on the ridiculous side isn't it. I thought a #10 flouro topshot was light! You did an exceptional job hauling in those beauties on #4! The more I look at your photos the more I think there must be a typo. It looks like at least #20 line? Anyway with that heavy jig and #4 you the man!:o

Hmmm...? Not quite sure how to take your remark about a typo. Nope, no typo on the 4lb. test. Maybe you're looking at the boat rod with the rock cod rigs on it? I always keep one handy for 200-300ft rock piles..instant pintos. :yes

Here's the line I used for these smaller fish...cheap stuff by Berkely...not the expensive super-small diameter like Fireline, Spiderwire, etc. The fish were all smaller than 8 pounds. Think having a ball catching Dinner..or losing it! It's all fun!

Well, I am certainly not 'the man'. just an old fisherman.....I buy lures...I use them...I also lose them. Any damn fool can do the same. Fishing ultra-light lines is just more fun nowadays ..but maybe that's just me.

Why do this? I write these posts for the fun of it..and to give out any helpful into I can to some new fishermen. I've fished the Cortez and the waters near Mulege for 40 years..and it get's boring doing the same old thing with the super-tough lines.

A typical use by me of 30-60lb test..economical Andre...good enough for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love to to battle yellowtail, marlin, sails, wahoo, dorado, and and grouper with appropriate heavy lines, too. I think most veteran Baja fishermen will agree. I just tend to test the lighter lines...I even have some 2lb. at hand.:spingrin:

In open waters, you can easlily boat most any size fish on light line...if you have the time and inclination...plus a few cold ones at hand. ;)

20lb test? I once caught this mounting tree limb on 20lb test. It was 1980 and my father and I were fishing at a far north lake named Caribou. When I snagged it on a heavy jig and slowly winched it into sight, Dad said, "Heluva fine catch, there, Rog, you should make that into a fish mount tree..a couple walleyes and a jack would look good on that." He was laughing....So I did. Some memories are priceless.

You can haul up a tractor with 20..in the right water.:rolleyes::spingrin:

The nice-sized walleyes on that tree were also taken on 4lb test..with a jig. ;)

fishabuctor...that is indeed a consideration when casting and handling a heavy fish. Gunnel-installed biminis are for shade and comfort, but can get in the way on a small boat...and that's why I have not installed mine...yet.

I live in Coyote Bay..kilometer 108..easy to find. Follow the skid marks. :rolleyes:

[Edited on 3-21-2011 by Pompano]

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2011 at 01:35 PM

Yeah, the old bucktail jig is a classic. A precursor for all those plastics that later came along.

Remember that survey we had on nomads about the greatest all time lures. And rapala was at the top? We forgot the bucktail jig. I'll bet it spawned as many lures as that old rapala from the 30's.

They still use them for stripers up here. But not so much any more because there are better choices now.
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2011 at 01:44 PM

Next time thru...I'll stop by and say howdy...

I always like your posts, they are fun, full of great humor and photos. We share many of the same experiences and you seem like a hell of a guy.

You see how well the SE AK drift guys did last yr? It put me back in the market for a boat/permit... big money again!!!
luckyman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2011 at 09:26 PM

thanks...i always enjoy your posts with pictures.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 3-22-2011 at 09:17 AM

Fishing with lighter lines can be a hoot for a change of pace but not a steady diet.

I and friends spent alot of time playing around with light stuff just for the fun of it,it lot depends on the fish you have targeted for the day,from a boat its suprising the size of fish you can catch,the type is also very important.

The type of fish makes a big difference,any top feeder from a boat is prime game for this game,beach fish who don,t like rocks,kelp and the like work well.

We played around with 2# for years when things were slow,I got a nearly 5# bonita from a jetty and a 12# bonehead with 4# both took it seemed all afternoon:lol:

There is a fishing ORG. called the 10 to 1 CLUB who do nothing but this sort of thing if you have plenty of time on your hands.

WE have even fished sharks on light line which was a big waste of time,all that is required is maintaining contact and following the fish off into the sunset until he is tired or you run out of gas:lol:

I have had no luck with deep jigging and light line I imagine one reason was I coundn,t afford losing to many jigs.

I have used 4# in the sweet water and the beach in the SOC I feel you get bit far more often on the light stuff.
but you also can get in over your head in a hurry:lol:
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.