Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 2011 Rip to the Tip - McGrath, Campbell, Currie, OX, Steele
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2011 at 09:19 PM
2011 Rip to the Tip - McGrath, Campbell, Currie, OX, Steele

2011 Monster Energy Rip to the Tip presented by General Tire
KICKS Off RAGING 1500-Mile Baja Moto Rip!

San Clemente, CA (April 5, 2011) Over 475 years ago, Spanish Conquistador Hernandez Cortez sailed into the Bay of La Paz kicking off the beginning of exploration for thousands of adventure seekers, which continues now into modern day history. Cortez discovered trade routes connecting the Pacific Ocean with what is now called the Sea of Cortez. Horses and mules transported lobster and fish from the oceans to the mountains and deserts, which were beaming with a plethora of wildlife.

Fastforward more than four hundred years and the adventure is still the same.

Nowadays, the 50 horsepower two-wheel steel horse navigates the same routes forged centuries ago and those who ride have created a vibrant culture thriving for the wild untamed land known to many as “the Baja.”

Nestled against the southern border of the United States is a vast shard of land considered by many to be one of the last natural wonders of the world. It’s painted deserts, remote white sand beaches and dramatic marvels of geology all combine together in protecting the land from the reaches of civilized mankind.

Venturing into Baja’s abyss is not for the weak at heart. Adventure seekers have long bombed south to Land’s End skirting the most difficult terrain and oftentimes trekking through the path of least resistence.

The 2011 Monster Energy Rip to the Tip presented by General Tire is a trek of man and machine over 1488-miles, where seasoned moto riders will battle every type of terrain and element the Baja can throw at them.

Over 8 days of riding, this year’s epic adventure riding from point-to-point will test both the physical endurance and the mental fortitude of each and every rider.

This year’s route will commence in the US/Mexico border town of Tecate, Baja California, Mexico, situated in the foothills outside of San Diego, California. For the third year in a row, riders will crisscross the Peninsula through some of the most amazing and difficult terrain the Baja has to offer, finishing at the tip of the Baja Peninsula in Cabo San Lucas.

In 2006 the idea of an adventure Baja ride took shape with 12 riders taking off from Ensenada headed for Land’s End in Cabo, on what would be the first ever Rip to the Tip.

Now, five years in existence, the adventure has grown to a new level.

The 2011 edition has the riders dropping down the "Elevator" on Mexico’s steepest grade, named La Rumarosa. The same route used by racers in the famed SCORE Baja 1000 race.

Riders will descend over 5,000 feet in less than 2 miles to the Laguna Salada dry lake bed at sea level and then traverse the dry lake bed for 75-miles before climbing back into the Sierra De Juarez mountain range as they battle the legendary "Summit," near the top of Cerro Grande.

Challenging themselves riding “up” the Cerro Grande Summit merely marks the halfway point of the first day. Only seven and a half more days before riders conquer the Baja Peninsula.

One can only imagine what lies ahead for those trying to earn the elite "Full Pull" status, an achievement bestowed upon each rider who finishes every mile plotted on the 2011 Rip.

The ride is scheduled through the towns of San Felipe, Bahia de Los Angeles, San Ignacio, and Loreto including all new locations in Mulege along with an overnight stay at the iconic mountain retreat, Mike’s Sky Rancho.

An eclectic group of riders will take on their own individual battle of mental and physical challenges in a group setting where the riders become known as a band of brothers. Riders will be challenged to work together in order to overcome and conquer the drama associated with such an epic journey.

7-time SUPERCROSS champion Jeremy McGrath will make his first attempt at the Baja, while 11-time Baja 1000 champion Johnny Campbell will ride with the group in an unfamiliar setting where he’s just another rider challenged by the adventure. There’s no racing on the Rip, it’s a journey of obstacles and mental tenacity.

Jeremy recently made his first ever trip to Baja with Rip trail leader Cameron Steele and Baja Bound Moto honcho, Tim Morton. McGrath has been seduced by the beauty and adventure of Baja’s wilderness. "It's been a long time since I've had an all new experience around every corner," said McGrath also known as “Showtime.” He continued, "Baja is so amazingly spectacular.”

X-Games freestyle motocross medalist and recent Baja Overall Champion, Jeff "OX" Kargola makes his third trip on the Monster Energy Rip to the Tip presented by General Tire and is one of the riders who really lives and breathes for the challenge. A smiling Ox commented, "Baja has so much to offer and the trails can be so remote and difficult, I love the battle."

Off Road Champion Casey Currie earned his ‘Full Pull’ status in 2010 and returns for the 2011 Rip to the Tip excited about the 1488-mile ride. Casey said, “I really loved everything about the trip last year. Baja is so fresh and wild, so new and you just never know what’s around the next turn or over the next mountain.”

For the third consecutive year, FUEL TV will air the Rip to the Tip adventure, but for the first time in its history, the Rip will expand beyond its normal half hour format to a FUEL TV Mini Series.

"I am stoked to have the support of FUEL TV, Monster Energy and General Tire. They are giving us the ability to share the beauty of Baja with people who may never have had a chance to see what she has to offer," said Rip TV producer and ride co-founder Cameron Steele. Steele is an accomplished off road racer and a 13-year TV broadcaster for such events as the X-Games.

Cameron reflected, “The vastness of the Baja wilderness and its beauty draws me to the places you cannot even imagine exist. Some of my best memories are watching the faces of my friends who travel with me to the most inhospitable regions in Baja. We immerse ourselves in the local traditions and people. Watching and experiencing a small part of their lives is what makes me smile day in and day out.”

Once again he smiled and said, “Sharing my love for Baja with other adventurers is beyond an explanation. You have to be there to understand it.”

Establishing the bar high has always been in the forefront for Rip founders, Cameron Steele and Larry Badgewell. The 2011 Rip will be no different as Cameron has gathered a stellar team of media workhorses all joining forces to provide live web programming throughout the 8-day journey.

New for 2011 will be live audio interviews, editorial and on trail video coverage along with the highly successful inclusion of photography and video segments from the 2010 season.

The Rip launches an all-new web page that will track the antics as they happen day or night. You can catch it all online anytime 24/7 at www.riptothetip.com. The adventure launches at 7:00 a.m. on April 28th.

2011 Rip to the Tip YouTube Introduction Video Trailer is here: http://www.youtube.com/user/RiptotheTip?feature=mhum#p/c/47810B9821EE7707Rip to the Tip

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-6-2011 at 09:54 PM

Ok, so how do I get on the rider list?.....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 06:26 AM

thx for heads up as i followed it last year and it was superb moto entertainment.

will follow along again.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 10:56 AM

Great stuff, the video was excellent.
DirkEXC
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 02:49 PM

Does anyone know when these guys are going. We are doing our own rip leaving Tecate this Satuday and hopefully ariving La Paz the following Saturday 4-16. How cool would that be to run into the "'King" in the middle of Baja !!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot

Uh....don't tell them you usually ride Baja with guys wearing skirts:lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:

Uh....don't tell them you usually ride Baja with guys wearing skirts:lol:

I've actually only done that once :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:....dt

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 04:41 PM

They start April 28th.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 08:04 AM

It's too late for this year but maybe next year.......what about you Ged, you in?.......we'd probably need to trade off our 690's for some real dirt bikes though.:no::no::no:

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
It's too late for this year but maybe next year.......what about you Ged, you in?.......we'd probably need to trade off our 690's for some real dirt bikes though.:no::no::no:

David,
That's a possibility....racing with top shelf riders....

But my thinking is leading me to 10 days around Bahia de los Angeles on single track w/ the 450....all that Lizard Lady/Bill Nichols stuff and a jaunt to your new place at Asuncion...

Time will tell...

I hope to be off the crutches next week....yardwork for a month....and then back on a bike :saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 01:52 PM

If you are going to ride the section from San Francisquito to San Ignacio you need to study Google earth closely and probably take some extra gas and food and water. Maybe the last point of contact with support crew would be Los Corrales. I've marked the trail on Google Earth with Kacey's way points and there are some long sections over various terrain between them. It would be a very interesting ride. I volunteer to help chase you.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:

David,
That's a possibility....racing with top shelf riders....

But my thinking is leading me to 10 days around Bahia de los Angeles on single track w/ the 450....all that Lizard Lady/Bill Nichols stuff and a jaunt to your new place at Asuncion...

Time will tell...

I hope to be off the crutches next week....yardwork for a month....and then back on a bike :saint:

Jeeeezzzz, how long are you going to milk that broken leg? It wasn't the big bone and it wasn't even sticking out of your skin. Come on man, suck it up, get your dress off and put your pants back on, quit whining and get back on the bike.........

There, how was that? Did it make you feel like we were back in Baja on our adventure ride? You don't need to thank me, that's what friends are for........dt

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 4-29-2011 at 08:32 PM

Unbelievable! The guy had a career in freestyle and racing and it was Baja trail ride that killed him.

My deepest condolescences to his family and the offroad community

No worries
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2011 at 08:43 PM

So Sad to hear this news. He was Colton Udall"s (Honda B team) race partner last year and this year..So sad
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-30-2011 at 06:39 AM

well that sucks.
no details. ? wonders what happened to sustain such an injury, seems they are pretty well armored head to toe for that kind of riding.
sorry to hear, a cloud on the bal of the trip.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-30-2011 at 06:58 AM

crazy.

RIP:saint:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2011 at 10:57 AM

Yes very sad, may he RIP.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.