Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: The Drug War: Victory Unattainable
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 06:22 PM
The Drug War: Victory Unattainable

Proceso (Mexico) 4/23/2011

Since 2009 Alfonso Reyes Garcés, Infantry Commander and member of the Army Special Forces in Mexico, has warned that the federal government’s strategy to combat drug trafficking was intended to fail. Not change, he said, the cartel war will never end. And he expanded on the topic in his master’s thesis, presented in December of that year at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California. Among its criticisms, the naval officer said that if the drug is a threat to national security, then it must be treated as such. The strategy has not changed and, indeed, the government and its armed forces have no way of claiming that they can achieve victory…

Reluctant to change the strategy that exacerbated the violence in the country, the government of Felipe Calderón is trapped in an “endless war” against drugs, and within less than two years of him of leaving power, he does not even know under what parameters may have a victory. This assessment of what has been the policy of this administration is written by the Commander of infantry and Special Forces member Alfonso Reyes Garcés. He wrote in his master’s thesis that he presented at the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS, for its acronym in English) of Monterey, California, naval training center for U.S.

Currently assigned to the Marine Battalion 27 in the Federal District, Reyes Garcés graduated in December 2009 from the NPS, where he specialized in the Department of Defense Analysis, a division dedicated to the preparation of cadres for future battles, especially on issues of terrorism, insurgency, unconventional warfare and information operations. U.S. and foreign military graduates of this division is now operating in Iraq, Afghanistan, the Philippines and Colombia as part of their training in irregular warfare, in which some U.S. analysts place the “insurgency criminal” who Mexico and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and other U.S. officials have characterized as “narcoinsurgencia.”

Calderon’s strategy to combat drug trafficking in the current presidential term, mainly by increasing violence, had negative consequences.
http://www.proceso.com.mx/rv/modHome/detalleExclusiva/90563

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 06:33 PM

There is no possibility this will ever end until drugs are legalized and regulated/controlled.

carpe diem!
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 06:51 PM

seems to me, senor garces has put the brakes on his upword mobility within.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 06:53 PM

Legalize it, theres no other way.

choyero
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 06:57 PM

How many people are going to have to die before they figure out victory is unattainable.

The problem is that which drugs can be legalized? Pot seems harmless, but the rest including meth, crack, heroin and other hard drugs seem like a death wish to all societys.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 07:35 PM
My golden years

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Legalize it, theres no other way.

Legalize, or not...I don't care anymore. I figure the time I got left ain't enough for society to go completely down the toilet.

Hell, I might just decide to start doing lots of drugs just to remind people what complete a$$holes these idiots really are.

Or maybe I'll just shoot a few for target practice.

Salsa
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 07:42 PM

"Victory Unattainable"

The alternative is devastating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Salsa
"Victory Unattainable"

The alternative is devastating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don

What might the alternative be, and how could it be more devastating than what is happening now?

carpe diem!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
What might the alternative be, and how could it be more devastating than what is happening now?

Perhaps a Mexico in the hands of cartel sponsored legislators.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 09:32 PM

Garcés hit the nail on the head.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 09:50 PM

There is a historical context that is available, yet few want to see the truth; there is more to gain through conflict and chaos, than from homeostasis.

How long ago do you think bankers learned that funding both sides of a conflict was more profitable than peace?

The moment that the individual removes their support for conflict it the moment the war ends.

A military Veteran would know this as well as a Pacifist.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 07:44 AM

Legalize pot.
choyero
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 07:59 AM

SNAFU
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 01:01 PM

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/features/2011/04/201142...

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 03:00 PM

It sickens me to think about how many people are harmed because of their own addictions to drugs...but it sickens me worse to think about how many non-US residents are being brutalized and killed because of the US's addiction to drugs. We have made progress in the "war on drugs" through education, but not through enforcement. The only answer is legalization...but it should be done right, and we can look to our own alcohol laws for guidance.

Alcohol is controlled. There are controls on what you can do under its influence. There are controls on what age you are supposed to be before you start using it, etc..

Now, we all know that those laws don't stop minors from drinking and they don't stop drunks from driving. But we can enforce the violations.

The violence associated with drug smuggling and distribution owes it's life to the fact that the only way to get drugs is to get them from criminal organizations. It's exactly like the problems we faced ourselves in the days of prohibition. SOMEBODY WILL SUPPLY DRUGS and the harder we make that to do, the more brutal the suppliers will become.

Whether we like it or not, America WILL BUY DRUGS, and it is impossible to "win" the war when we (not me personally, I mean the country) are the enemy.

The answer is actually pretty simple, and it shouldn't be offensive to either the right or the left:

LEGALIZE DRUGS...but put VERY unreasonable controls on who can buy them compared to other products. For example, make it illegal to buy or use drugs before you turn 30...make it illegal to posses drugs AND have a drivers license...just make it stupidly inconvenient to "legally" buy drugs...but DO make them available.

If you do, then you'll shift the flow of drugs and money away from large criminal organizations. You won't necessarily stop or even slow down drug use in America, but you will SUBSTANTIALLY reduce the level of criminal activity...not because of it's newly-found "legality"...but because just like alcohol and tobacco crimes (ie: distributing to minors), your offenders will be small-time locals without much criminal hierarchy.

Then, we can put a more American face to our problem and quit blaming the smugglers. Then we can devote funds to the only thing proven to help the drug situation: Education. Then we will stop enticing young people to commit serious crimes for our drug dollars.

What we are doing now is BEYOND STUPID. Most people in America think that by controlling the drug trade rather than fighting it with guns, that we are giving up the moral high ground. I couldn't disagree more. As a nation, we're just hiding from the facts by blaming the smugglers instead of our culture for the problems.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elbeau
It sickens me to think about how many people are harmed because of their own addictions to drugs...

Absolute bull****. They harm themselves. The only thing sickening about it is that they don't kill themselves.
I mean....they know it's dangerous, but they persist to get high and feel good.
Good. Die, but don't expect me to change your diapers.
Druggies have ruined a good part of my life for their activities.
F***'em. They don't care about me....I don't care about them.

DIE.....thank you.

[Edited on 4-28-2011 by BajaNomad]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 04:06 PM
Dying to Win the Fight

GOOD Idea.

I've always been in favor of poisoning the supply.

Those who initially die will have died for a good cause and a warning to others.

Those that die after the word gets out deserve it for having failed the Darwin test.

In any case, WE win.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 04:37 PM

First off, I do not use marijuana. That said, I'm pretty sure that certain folks posting on this thread have been known to tip a few beverages containing alcohol. There's a huge body of evidence that shows marijuana is, if not less dangerous than alcohol, certainly no more.

Fact is that the furschlugginer war on drugs was started in the US by Nixon, who wanted to get back at that hippie bunch who was protesting his ongoing commitment in Viet Nam. (Remember, if you will, that he ran his first successful campaign on ending that conflict, but managed to use the same MO in his second campaign.

Now, let's go to Mexico. Like it or not, the PRI folks ran the country for decades. It wasn't until Fox became presidente waving the banner of PAN, that the heat began to get cranked-up on the cartels. Calderon just turned up that heat from simmer to boil.

Fact is, that PAN is fundamentally a business oriented, and politicaly conservative party, not much unlike our GOP.

The US war on drugs has become something with its own life, what with the tens of thousands of folks who make a living participating in it. Not gonna be shut down anytime soon.

Similarly, I'd venture a guess that fat cat politicians and savvy business folks in Mexico are also profiting from this insane war.

They recently decriminalize certain drugs in Mexico. To the extent, for instance, that tourists lounging on the beaches of Cabo, not only have to deal with people selling junk jewerly, pottery and hair-braiding, but are also openly offer pot for sale.

The incongruity of this can be seen where some resident of California who has a marijuana card, and thereby the legal right to purchase, possess and use marijuana in California, could buy some pot on Medano Beach in Cabo , but when hitting the border, will have it confiscated by the federal authorities, despite the fact that they were breaking no law in Mexico, or in California.

Go figure.

[Edited on 4-26-2011 by Bajahowodd]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
First off, I do not use marijuana. That said, I'm pretty sure that certain folks posting on this thread have been known to tip a few beverages containing alcohol. There's a huge body of evidence that shows marijuana is, if not less dangerous than alcohol, certainly no more.

Stop. Stop it right there. I won't read anymore. It would have to be uber-rediculous.
Get drunk....Get high....enjoy life. You only live once.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 05:10 PM

You sure about that. amigo? :P
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.