Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: El Sargento & La Ventana---Fishing
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2011 at 11:59 AM
El Sargento & La Ventana---Fishing

The fishing season is heatin up and I would like to set up out of this area to be right on the Bite! My Brother and some friends are asking about the East Cape, in general. I cruised the area a few weeks ago and liked the small towns of El Sargento & La Ventana. Any fishing guide recomendations? Accomodations?? I searched a posting I remember but can't find it. I would greatly appreciate any names & info from anyone who has fished there. Thanks. Tio
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2011 at 01:33 PM

Tio, I think that you will find that the best guides for that area live in Agua Amarga and operate from Los Muertos.I haven't had any personal experience with them, but some friends that go over there a couple times a year to fish have a guy they go with that they really like, I'll try and get his name for you. Most of the guys around Sargento-Ventana are commercial fishermen. If you need a rental, Mariposa & Memo have a nice little house on the beach in El Sargento that they rent cheap.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2011 at 02:45 PM

If you go out the road to Muertos (Now called Bahia de los Suenos) you will see all of the pangueros and it is pretty easy to pick the winners when they come in. Most live back in Agua Amarga but it is lots easier to talk to the captains on the boats. My friend Osprey goes out there quite often and he claims that he gets a pretty good deal that way. You can also book with Jonathan Roldan or David Jones in La Paz but if you are going to be in the La Ventana area anyway, you really don't need the ride out from La Paz/

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 06:22 AM

That's great! I'm glad there's still access out at Muertos. Three years ago the Golf Course and development was a bit shocking to me! Easy enough just to show up in the pm and check out a panga Captain and their catch. Thanks guys! I'll contact Mariposa, Mono. Pescador, I'll look for Nomads ie Osprey.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 06:54 AM

Tio, I have the names and numbers of some of the Muertos captains. Just U2U me. Be careful: none of them seem to care about licenses and they bend the limit rules as though their charters are immune.

Several times we only had to pay $120 plus bait if we didn't have to run all the buoys -- they have new motors that use very little gas but it all depends on where the action is.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 06:58 AM

The boats usually head back to the beach starting about 1:00. They are fishing from Muertos right now but should be moving over to Las Arenas in the next week or two once the southerlies start. To get there take the road that heads out to the lighthouse about 4-5 kms before Muertos. There is a guard in a trailer where that road meets the highway and he will take a picture of your car with a little digital camera but the road is open to the public

In Memory of E-57
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 10:35 AM

Alan, forgive my ignorance, but, what are the "southerlies"? Are those water currents or wind? How rough are they?

I plan to launch my own boat out of Bahia de los Muertos all this summer. Was there last week and was able to launch my boat myself, but the fishing wasn't very good and the wind was a bit of a problem.

I looked at El Sargento/La Ventana for a place to beach launch my boat, but the only decent place I found was next to the Las Palmas restaurant. I would love to stick to launching out of Los Muertos for the summer, but if the wind is going to be a problem, I will have to reconsider.

Last summer, I went panga fishing with several pangueros out of Agua Amarga. Very reasonable cost and very good service. Those pangueros were launching out of the "el faro" (lighthouse) a few kilometers north of Los Muertos. This year they are launching out of Los Muertos instead, apparently.
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 12:24 PM

As in wind Mitch. The ramp is very well protected from the north winds of what passes for winter here. As it warms the winds will change to out of the south, bringing even warmer air and water to us. BUT, if they kick up, you are running straight into the wind returning to the ramp at Muertos, and fighting it trying to get the boat on the trailer. Is there a good beach launch out at the point????

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 12:43 PM

Good discussion! I appreciate all the experienced information ---bring lots of ice. You bet. Limited services. Also, any campgrounds or small economicals? Baja Joes is the only recommendation I have heard of. Thanks in advance! Tio
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 12:58 PM

There is a nice campground in Sargento with big trees for shade (huge empty beach) across from a nice Mini Super for supplies and ice. So beautiful we stayed 3 nights last June. Good shore fishing too. Take a quad if you can. Great snorkeling on the reefs south of town.

Watch out for the Saturday evening Police checkpoint in Sargento!

Be very careful which vehicle you take on the road to muertos. My worst baja mistake ever was taking that road with a utility trailer with 2 quads last summer. SUPER SKETCHY for a larger vehicle/trailer. My partner shredded a sidewall.

Its a fun Jeep track though.

Cheers

[Edited on 5-10-2011 by Curt63]

No worries
stimbo
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 02:21 PM

I was just down there. The road to Muertos is fine. The worst part is navigating the topes and chuck holes in Los Planes...

As you head into La Ventana, look for a sportfishing sign (in front of a house) on the left (west). Check it out. The business is owned by Lalo. Great guy, guide, and fisherman. I apologize I don't know his last name. Everyone in La Ventana will know him. Have a great trip.
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 06:20 PM

El Sargento and Ventana can get windy, hence the name and the windsurfer presence.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
El Sargento and Ventana can get windy, hence the name and the windsurfer presence.
Yes that is accurate during the winter but as bajabass has explained the winds will shift to the south during the summer. The kiteboarders and wind surfers are all gone by mid-April and the pangueros will move from Muertos to Las Arena de La Ventana within the next week or two.

In Memory of E-57
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 09:34 PM
Campground in Sargento

Sweet campground with banos and hot showers

No worries
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2011 at 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Good discussion! I appreciate all the experienced information ---bring lots of ice. You bet. Limited services. Also, any campgrounds or small economicals? Baja Joes is the only recommendation I have heard of. Thanks in advance! Tio
Tio, There is another upscale resort called Ventana Windsurf just north of Baja Joes. All inclusive, gourmet meals, super nice. You only live once, go for it!
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2011 at 07:06 AM

There's several others also:

Casa Verde, Palapas Ventana, Ventana Bay Resort, Curt N Marina. All have websites.

How about an accomodation report along with the fishing report?

[Edited on 5-11-2011 by RnR]
dpf33a
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2011 at 03:43 PM

I fished with Mundo at la Ventana in April 2011.He can be reached at conemero@hotmail.com (his friend email.)He charged 1700 pesos for the day fishing at the island and went out to get bait for me too.( netting himself).His wife has a seafood restaurant in La Ventana so we had free lunch also.He has great clean super panga.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 03:31 PM

Any reasonable cost motels/hotels to stay in La Ventana or Sargento with secure overnight parking for a truck and trailered boat? Thanks in advance.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 07:24 PM

Amigo, check out RnRrecomendations and possibly Baja Joes. I have sent/communicate3d via email. Curt and Da Boyz stayed at the Campground and posted photo! Seeya there! Tio
gpm414
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
The fishing season is heatin up and I would like to set up out of this area to be right on the Bite! My Brother and some friends are asking about the East Cape, in general. I cruised the area a few weeks ago and liked the small towns of El Sargento & La Ventana. Any fishing guide recomendations? Accomodations?? I searched a posting I remember but can't find it. I would greatly appreciate any names & info from anyone who has fished there. Thanks. Tio

We have lived in La Ventana from Oct. to April for the past 10 years. Even though we have a home now, we stayed in the campground that is actually in La Ventana. If the picture above had been taken in January, there would be 300-350 rigs parked for the winter windsurfing and kiting season.

We also have a 21' panga which we launch over the beach at the south end of the park. Our favorite local guide is Lalo who has fished here all his life. He speaks some English and always works hard to make sure you have a great time. He has a beautiful boat and top gear. Here is his website: http://fishlalo.com/ Even though we fish from fall to spring, the peak season is just starting, and with Cerralvo Island just across the channel great fishing is pretty much a done deal.

Here is a Facebook page we started this past winter. Feel free to join and post some fishing reports. Have a great time. http://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Ventana-Sport-Fishing-Group... Here's a picture from a trip with him for yellowtail.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.