Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: added a trans cooler and filter
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 06:16 AM
added a trans cooler and filter

finally got around to installing my new Derale transmission cooler and a Magnafine filter on my Tundra. the whole process took about 5 hours since i'm a better wave rider than wrench monkey. that includes paint drying, TKT refreshments and taking it apart to make some adjustments to the brackets. overall, it was easy and now i can't wait to see the changes in temps that my ScanGaugeII reports. i've seen temps as high as 225 a few times while pulling my pop up and while 4x4ing in the sand. heat is the enemy of any transmission so this upgrade will help. total cost $75ish.

this is what i started with. the new cooler went in the empty drivers side in front of the AC condenser. i only had to drill one hole for the upper bracket. Toyota had pre drilled the center holes where the stock cooler resides.

100_7777.jpg - 45kB

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 06:19 AM

here is the rough bolt up. the upper right bracket needed 2 bends so i got out the 24oz framing hammer and a pair of vise grips and went to town on the curb.

100_7778.jpg - 42kB

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 06:21 AM

closeup of the brackets and final placement.

100_7779.jpg - 41kB

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 06:25 AM

the new fluid lines went out of the stock unit in and out of the new unit and the Magnafine filter was installed in the out/return line from the new unit to the trans. quite a few zip ties were used to prevent the filter from banging into the body and the fluid lines from rubbing on sharp edges.

edit: below the stock cooler on the left is the new Magnafine filter with the red, white, and blue sticker. i know its hard to see.

so easy a caveman could do it.:lol:

[Edited on 5-14-2011 by woody with a view]

100_7780.jpg - 43kB

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 06:42 AM

if your add-on is really needed for towing, makes me wonder why why are toyota pickups are sold with inadequate cooling capability?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

so easy a caveman could do it.:lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 08:41 AM
Good installation

Now let's see what the scangauge reports?

Please post results when you get them.

And thanks for the installation report.

John M
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 08:48 AM

Looks good! I just bypassed my stock tranny cooler to avoid the strawberry milkshake on my 4runner. Might be something to look into as well. The stock coolers in most trucks (Yes, even Ford and Chevy) are cooled in the radiator, and not in a separate air-cooled unit. The plate that allows for the heat transfer corrodes over time and you can mix coolant in the tranny fluid, and thats never good!

By bypassing the stock cooler, you don't have to worry about that. Just something to think of.

MtGoat: I think the Toyota tranny coolers are fine in general for temperature. I'd imagine that other trucks would read the same temperatures given the conditions.

Another simple resolution is to swap out the fluid to synthetic which will retain its lubrication properties at higher temperatures.
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 08:57 AM

Nice upgrade.

When you tow, do you turn overdrive off?

That was a real important with my '95 T100. Now, I just always turn it off when towing with my 04 double cab Tundra.

No worries
choyero
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 10:47 AM

Clean install.

Make sure to watch your engine temperature gauge, as the 2nd trans cooler greatly reduced the amount of air floowing through the radiator. You may want to consider a electric fan to compliment the system.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 12:05 PM

Here is some info on the tranny fluid and temperature.

http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairqa/transmission/ques12...
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 05:28 PM
Trans fluid

Good link TW - a little suprised it doesn't mention the +/- related to synthetic trans fluid.

It is publicized heavily that synthetic fluid is next to greatness for the transmission, but is that always or necessiarly the case?

Maybe adding a trans temp gauge would be a bonus, or just something else to stare at and worry about.

John
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 05:44 PM

My 93 had and my 2004 has a A/T overtemp light. I don't know at what temp it comes on. I had a radiator problem in my 93. It was an after market unit and the light would come on going up mountains until I changed the radiator.

Thay are Toyota trucks

[Edited on 5-15-2011 by TW]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 06:18 PM

my Tundra "supposedly" lights the idiot light at 275.

WAY TOO F"ING HIGH.....

synthetics are the way to go. i put less than 8k/year on my rig so when i change my synthetic motor oil yearly i drain my trans pan (4 qts) and refill with synthetic. that keeps me on the MFGR 30k flush interval.

you can never "really" know if looking at a gauge is worth it or not. i want to see how me driving style affects my rig. that's why i bought a ScanGaugeII.

i tow my 900# trailer, prolly another 900# of cargo (including the kitchen sink. if i don't bring it, WTF? where would i get it?) and i just don't like watching the trans temp rise to HIGH temps. most of you will be fine waiting for the idiot light to go on, if it really works...... i prefer to pass the 100's of miles feeling my trucks pains.....

what's funny is i drove it 15 miles each way on the freeway to work today and the water temp was actually lower than it has normally been.

whatever blows your skirts up!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
Looks good! I just bypassed my stock tranny cooler to avoid the strawberry milkshake on my 4runner. Might be something to look into as well. The stock coolers in most trucks (Yes, even Ford and Chevy) are cooled in the radiator, and not in a separate air-cooled unit. The plate that allows for the heat transfer corrodes over time and you can mix coolant in the tranny fluid, and thats never good!

By bypassing the stock cooler, you don't have to worry about that. Just something to think of.

MtGoat: I think the Toyota tranny coolers are fine in general for temperature. I'd imagine that other trucks would read the same temperatures given the conditions.

Another simple resolution is to swap out the fluid to synthetic which will retain its lubrication properties at higher temperatures.

my unit is equipped with the factory tow package = a cooler in front of the AC condenser, now i have twice the cooling capacity. remember, i'm still a caveman....

can you provide some guidance to bypass the stock radiator cooler?

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2011 at 07:41 AM

Wow so the stock cooler you have is its own unit, and doesn't go into the bottom of the radiator? My dad has a Tundra, and his is setup this way.

Must be a different configuration.

If your stock cooler is its own unit, then just having the axillary in series with your stock would should be just fine!!!
choyero
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2011 at 07:54 AM

To see if the tranny fluid gets cooled within the radiator look to see if any lines other than the radiator coolant hoses attach to the radiator. Tranny lines are usually metal.

If you are only adding 4 quarts of tranny fluid, you're only changing about 30% of the fluid. I believe a tundra holds about 15 quarts of fluid. Alot of it will be in your torque convertor, if possible drain this too, as well as change the tranny filter. I add Lucas Tranny additive to my trannys as well for added insurance.

[Edited on 5-15-2011 by choyero]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2011 at 09:08 AM

Well....I'm proud of you, Woody. That's quite a job for a beach-rat. How much blood did it cost you?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2011 at 09:28 AM

didn't even scrape a knuckle.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2011 at 09:57 AM

Choyero is correct. I have a drain plug on my GMC tranny and I usually change the fluild everyother oil change, but it only takes 3 qts. I don't tow anything nor do I have a cabover camper. Many of the oil change places and dealers can change all the tranny fluid thru an exchange unit connected to the lines going to the radiator. I would caution you to be careful who you go to as an LA TV station did an undercover on this and found a well known oil change shop didn't even hook up the machine and still charged the customer.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.