BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: They're at it again, they want to commercialize the Dorado!
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 07:56 AM
They're at it again, they want to commercialize the Dorado!

This is very Baja related because if the protected status of the Dorado changes, all citizens in Baja California Sur will be severely affected.

I am only one person in BCS who has been working for the last week and a half to prepare representatives from my area to go to Lazaro Card##as, Michoacan for the upcoming convocotoria that will discuss the iniciative to legalize the dorado commercial fishery. There are many more like me around the state who worked around the clock to recruit and prepare our local reps for this trip.

I request that those of you who love Baja and love Mexico and that understand that the future we have for tourism, keep these good men and women in their thoughts. The big meeting starts tomorrow at 9am.

A little background: these meetings have been taking place mostly last year in BCS, BC, SON, SIN then they just stopped abruptly, and we assumed that the diputados actually gave thought to the fact that to obliterate the dorado fishery would severely hurt tourism and the entire economy of the nation. At the meetings on the mainland, only a handful of tourism reps were present, while the commercial interests bussed in people from all over the country who proceeded to intimidate, boo and heckle speakers in the tourism industry that were presenting their case. Lazaro Card##as is the largest shipping port on the west coast of Mexico. We find it very unfair (I find it angering) that these venues are taking place in cities such as Lazaro Card##as because this law affects negatively the tourism sectors not the commercial or industrial sectors.

I will translate the iniciative, it is one sided, based in horrible pseudoscience and promises the earth, they even state that to commercialize the dorado will save the Mexican economy. It is that rediculous. It is also an insult on all of our intelligence that our diputados would even consider a document such as this, it does not reflect on them very well at all.

Lazaro Card##as is not an easy place to get to, flights on puddle jumpers are costly. What our team from BCS is doing right now is flying from La Paz to Guadalajara where they will rent a vehicle and drive the 540km to Lazaro Card##as and check into their hotel. Tomorrow is the big day. Please send positive energy their way so that they not only give great presentations but also return home safely. My husband is one of the reps so I won't sleep until he returns.

After the event I will post the translated iniciative, and the ponencia (presentations) on behalf of Loreto and some of the other places like Cabo, San Jose, La Paz, San Carlos, Mazatlan, PV, ZIH, etc..

I have to thank the new government of BCS for funding the trips for these reps. All expressed the desire to go but the lack of funds to do so. Although it was like pulling teeth as they were very reluctant to release the funds up to the last minute, Minerva from Cabo San Lucas was able to pull it off, she deserves a medal of honour.

[Edited on 5-19-2011 by flyfishinPam]
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 08:32 AM

thanks for all you do for this fishery, pam...we ALL appreciate it!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 08:50 AM

I'm always thinking of your efforts and those of your compradres that fight the fight. We've had a couple of commercial boats at the deep water drop off outside our islands the last week or two fishing at night. I can't say for fact they're targeting dorado but that's my guess. Once the schools show up in any numbers I suspect we'll see more boats. I hope your efforts are golden and there is money for the enforcement agencies to make a difference!

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 09:16 AM

flyfishinPam, Good luck. Thanks for your efforts in support of the sportsfishing industry. The clock is running out on the diminishing fish stocks the Sea of Cortez.
htnfool
Nomad

Mood: Fishy

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 11:25 AM

Pam,

From the bottom of my empty fish box

Thank you
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
"........and there is money for the enforcement agencies to make a difference!

There is ALREADY money for the enforcement agencies. It comes from the fishing industry for them to look the other way. :lol:

Of course, I understand your point, Russ.

The cynical side of me wonders if it will be any different if the commercial ban is actually rescinded. They already fish for them with impunity. Were there any reported boardings and confiscations of dorado last year, at all? I cant recall any.

Still, one must fight the good fight..........

Imagine there's no longlines.
It's easy if you try.
No purse seiners or spotter planes,
above us only sky.

Imagine all do-rad-o-o-oh
caught on rod and reel.

Ah-haaa-aah-aah-ahh.

Imagine there's no trawlers,
wrecking ha-bi-tat,
nothing but pangas and sporties,
and the occasional 'yak.

livin' to reee-pro-duce.

You-hooo-oo--oo-oo,

You may saaaaay, that we are dreamers,
giving dodos a fighting chance.
We hope some day we will all see,
dorado in-iiiiiiiii-in abundance.

OK, so I'm NOT the walrus.................help me out here, Osprey.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 11:50 AM

I, too, applaud what you're doing, Pam.

It seems to me that this issue can be solved numerically and convincingly.

One side claims that dorado revenue is greater from the sale of it's flesh and the other from the dollars that tourism brings in.

Since the price of dorado and the amount being harvested is known you should be able to come up with a number. The amount of money spent by fishing tourists can also be quantified. Just compare the two values instead of making gradiose statements and exaggerations. Numbers don't lie. They can't ignore you if you have the numbers.

Maybe I'm missing something.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 12:37 PM

The commercial guys will under-report their catch if possible, in order to pay lower taxes and competition will be discouraged. On the east coast of the US they're imposing a "catch share" program, sort of a quota, based an average of previous years total catch. When the boat catches it's limit, they're done for the season.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I, too, applaud what you're doing, Pam.

It seems to me that this issue can be solved numerically and convincingly.

One side claims that dorado revenue is greater from the sale of it's flesh and the other from the dollars that tourism brings in.

Since the price of dorado and the amount being harvested is known you should be able to come up with a number. The amount of money spent by fishing tourists can also be quantified. Just compare the two values instead of making gradiose statements and exaggerations. Numbers don't lie. They can't ignore you if you have the numbers.

Maybe I'm missing something.

what you are missing is that this has been done before yet to no avail. how many times do we say the same things for them to finally get it? our folks from BCS are pointing out the illegality of the iniciative and the really really bad "science" it is based in. Loreto's talk will be delivered by a captain (my husband) who originates from la costa chica and has the southern Mexico accent to boot. his words will hopefully speak beyond the diputados and dignitaries and be directed to those paid off hecklers, pointing out their lost opportunities that have been and yet again are being taken away by these greedy criminals called lawmakers and unelected functionaries, what else can we do? the other talks from other areas may garner outrage and bad blood unfortunately, this was not my intent when I wrote the presentation. and I had to beg and plead with conapesca yesterday to allow Loreto the chance to give even this 5 minute speech, after we were promised two speeches by them and that I had submitted. our guys are still traveling, coming from a very long way, yet we are given such a small opportunity to plead our case. our government really is stuck on stupid for sure.
LaloinBaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 03:10 PM

To miss that strike from the dorado and the tail flipping fight...We can't lose this aspect of the sportfisherie in Baja....anything I can do...Let me know...Lalo...
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 03:34 PM

Pam, did you try to get Wildcoast and Seawatch reps to attend, to lend support, $ and otherwise? They were so very active in La Paz with the pistolero ban we would all hope they could help you and others on this even more worthy effort.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Pam, did you try to get Wildcoast and Seawatch reps to attend, to lend support, $ and otherwise? They were so very active in La Paz with the pistolero ban we would all hope they could help you and others on this even more worthy effort.

honestly osprey, I tried they are unfortunately full of hot air all talk no real action
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
"........and there is money for the enforcement agencies to make a difference!

There is ALREADY money for the enforcement agencies. It comes from the fishing industry for them to look the other way. :lol:

Of course, I understand your point, Russ.

The cynical side of me wonders if it will be any different if the commercial ban is actually rescinded. They already fish for them with impunity. Were there any reported boardings and confiscations of dorado last year, at all? I cant recall any.

Still, one must fight the good fight..........

Imagine there's no longlines.
It's easy if you try.
No purse seiners or spotter planes,
above us only sky.

caught on rod and reel.

Ah-haaa-aah-aah-ahh.

Imagine there's no trawlers,
wrecking ha-bi-tat,
nothing but pangas and sporties,
and the occasional 'yak.

livin' to reee-pro-duce.

You-hooo-oo--oo-oo,

You may saaaaay, that we are dreamers,
giving dodos a fighting chance.
We hope some day we will all see,
dorado in-iiiiiiiii-in abundance.

OK, so I'm NOT the walrus.................help me out here, Osprey.

Unlike the US, the game wardens in boats are not likely in the immediate future nor would they be very effective in enforcing laws that would be violated by their friends and family anyway. But, one thing is for certain, at least in our area, and that is the wholesale fish buyers will not touch a Dorado for love or money and several pangueros who have caught Dorado were confiscated when an overlimit was found.

The problem in San Carlos and Guaymas was that they had a ready buyer for the illegally caught fish.

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 04:12 PM

then Loretanos need to steer clear of this pescaderia in the future:
it is across the street from the prepatoria called sebape on the glorietta (traffic circle) off the segundo cali and the futbol field
this photo was taken summer 2009

if I see anything this blatant at any other one I will also post that image. Same goes for restaurants, I'll photo their menus and post. I don't think any of them can afford to lose business now. b-stards
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 04:54 PM

Oh Pam...so sorry you guys have to do this all over again...it is so disheartening and draining. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for fighting the good fight and putting so much energy into this issue...you must be proud of your esposo...any chance of video taping the presentation so we can all see it?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey

honestly osprey, I tried they are unfortunately full of hot air all talk no real action

That's too bad! I will no longer support their program.:(

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 05:17 PM

Osprey, I am confused. I thought a pistolero was a gunman. What would Seawatch or Wild Coast have to do with that?

Or, is pistolero slang for something else?

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 05:54 PM

Spear gun

GordoyFeo

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 06:02 PM
Secretario

toma notas. No quieron que nuestros gente pescan nuestros peces.
Solos ellos de Baja tienen derechos a nuestros dorados.

Good luck but Mexico doesn't give a hoot about Baja, never has never will, jmho of course.

http://seawatch.org/en/Resource-Library/75/pistoleros-are-ki...

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 06:06 PM

every organization can't please everyone who comes along.

that said, GIVE THEM HELL PAM! we will be sending good thoughts......

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.