Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Charlie Rose interviews President Calderon
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 10:22 AM
Charlie Rose interviews President Calderon

Very interesting and thoughtful interview:

http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/11664

His vision of the future of Mexico is very compelling and fits with my perception of Mexico's new prosperity after spending time on the mainland.

Iflyfish
drarroyo
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 12:21 PM

excellent
salut
baja1943
Banned

lol.gif posted on 5-30-2011 at 02:08 PM
REALLY!

http://www.time.com/magazine/article/0,9171,868097,00.html
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 02:25 PM

The changes I see in Baja are also striking. I am paricularly impressed with the availability of consumer goods and construction, Walmart, Home Depot, Costco etc. and lots of people shopping in them. This has changed dramaticaly in the 45 years I have been traveling mainland Mexico and Baja.

On the mainland I witnessed scores of upscale, by Mexican standards, housing developments and international commercial interests. On the mainland too I saw a much wider range of consumer goods and big box stores i.e. Costco, Home Depot etc. that were packed with shoppers.

Mexico is indeed poised for a major spurt of development with international corporations locating in the country.

The one hinderance to all of this is of course the pitched battle that is going on with the narcotrafficantes. I appreciated Calderon's analysis of the role of US arms in the problem and his openess to legalization of drugs in the US, which he sees as probably lowering prices and having a negative affect on the war that is currently raging. His analysis is that this would not be a good policy for Mexico, which is primarily a producer with the majority of its production being consumed in the USofA.

This is the first time I have seen an indepth interview with Calderon, who is a very thoughtful person as is Charlie Rose.

Iflyfish
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 02:39 PM

Thank god he only has one year left.

drarroyo
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

yea ... 'cause there's SO many better alternatives waiting in the wings.
wake up
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 04:53 PM

Keeping in mind that Charlie Rose meets privately with people such as Calderon, he attends Bohemian Grove events together with them and his friends. Friendly softball chats that promote an agreed on storyline is not journalism, it's call propaganda and likely has nothing to do with reality as much as a programmed message. In this case you are seeing and hearing a repeated message, which is "integration" is the only option for North America to solve the problems that are orchestrated.

With the money, time and energy going into the promoting this storyline, you'd think they could have at least used some facts, but no, Calderon threw around some numbers claiming that the Per Person Purchasing Power is comparable to an income of $15k annual income, or that actual annual income average is $10k these are mentioned as two statistics demonstrating the strength of the Mexican economy.

Other facts in question are that Mexico's violence is due to weapons sales on the border and that it's drug trade is due to USA's appetite.

Conversely, it's Mexico's independence from the USA that is it's economic strength and lack of support for the USA military industrial complex which further reduces it waste of resources.

Calfornia crime is largely a component of Mexican immigrants with foreign Nationals making up a large portion of prison populations, and most unsolved murders have Mexican nationals named as suspects who are on the run in Mexico, though not extraditable due to the USA's capital punishment program which Mexico does not support.

It should not be hard to see this interview for what it is and what it isn't. It's a promotion for integration of North America which is not based in facts or truth, but does touch on emotional points.

Pretty much need to broaden your sources of facts, outside of Charlie Rose and Calderon in order to open a reasonable discussion about Mexico.

[Edited on 5-30-2011 by gnukid]
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drarroyo
Quote:

wake up

Calderon has been a complete and utter DISASTER for this nation, and yes, theres a lot of better alternatives waiting in the wings.

I can't wait until we rid ourselves of this pathetic presidente we have.

drarroyo
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 06:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

wake up

Calderon has been a complete and utter DISASTER for this nation, and yes, theres a lot of better alternatives waiting in the wings.

I don't believe that for a second.
You sound like the rest of the understandably jaded older generation.
This is about laying groundwork for a generation yet to be conceived (sp)
Stick to cooking up animals vato. :lol:
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 07:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

wake up

I am 37, and what groundwork are you talking about? its been 11 years since the PAN took power, and they are still laying groundwork? thats pathetic!!

Calderon has done absolutely nothing to get this country in the direction it needs. Starting a war on drugs supporting one cartel and fighting the others, thinking that when HIS cartel won the violence would end?? what has he done to end the monopolistic practices of Slim? Azcarraga? Salinas? Saba? Maseca? etc etc etc?? wheres the labor reform? the social security reform? the justice reform? why is Garcia Luna still head of the federal police after so many failures and suspicions of corruption?? why do federal loans and programs only seem to benefit friends of PAN members? why is he still cozy with labor leader (cancer to this nation) Elba Esther Gordillo?

The president has failed, and he has failed almost at everything, the only thing he has left is to blame others, but HE IS the president, we voted for him, and he hasnt delivered, so move out, get out of the way, and lets see if we can find someone to do the job he couldnt do.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
its been 11 years since the PAN took power, and they are still laying groundwork? thats pathetic!!

Calderon has done absolutely nothing to get this country in the direction it needs. Starting a war on drugs supporting one cartel and fighting the others, thinking that when HIS cartel won the violence would end?? what has he done to end the monopolistic practices of Slim? Azcarraga? Salinas? Saba? Maseca? etc etc etc?? wheres the labor reform? the social security reform? the justice reform? why is Garcia Luna still head of the federal police after so many failures and suspicions of corruption?? why do federal loans and programs only seem to benefit friends of PAN members? why is he still cozy with labor leader (cancer to this nation) Elba Esther Gordillo?

The president has failed, and he has failed almost at everything, the only thing he has left is to blame others, but HE IS the president, we voted for him, and he hasnt delivered, so move out, get out of the way, and lets see if we can find someone to do the job he couldnt do.

One of, if not the most insightful posts I've ever seen on this site. Thanks, Jesse.
drarroyo
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 07:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[

I am 37, and what groundwork are you talking about? its been 11 years since the PAN took power, and they are still laying groundwork? thats pathetic!!

you're sounding like american youth wanting instant gratification!
I think a lot may have got lost in translation?
This is LONG TERM stuff here.
I thought you were early 30's (good genes? :lol:)
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[

you're sounding like american youth wanting instant gratification!
I think a lot may have got lost in translation?
This is LONG TERM stuff here.
I thought you were early 30's (good genes? :lol:)

Nope, my previous generation waited for 70 yrs and did nothing, i am not about to sit and wait for the "LONG TERM" like you suggest and waste another 70yrs. I want results, and if a politician can't provide them, then get out!!!

bajatravelergeorge
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 08:15 PM

IMO, Calderon just wants it to cost the cartels more money to buy off judges, police, generals, etc. That extra money gets pumped into the economy, which is taxed, which then increases the revenue for him to spend, and line his pockets with. Heaven forbid if the demand went away. If there's no war, there's no reason for the cartels to spend more to bribe the officials.

It won't matter who you put into power, they will all do the same thing. Its the smart business decision to make, and make no mistake about it, this is a business. He just wants his piece of the pie, and he has an army to help him get it.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 08:43 PM

Jesse, the man asked you about better alternatives to Calderon and his plans. How much longer are you going to dance around that question, with all the things Calderon didnt do?

Tell us about your new love of the PRI. Or maybe the rebirth of AMLO? The Communist Workers Party?

BTW, which cartel is it that you feel Calderon favors? I've asked you this before and you've just ignored the question. Let's hear it, finally.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Jesse, the man asked you about better alternatives to Calderon and his plans. How much longer are you going to dance around that question, with all the things Calderon didnt do?

Tell us about your new love of the PRI. Or maybe the rebirth of AMLO? The Communist Workers Party?

BTW, which cartel is it that you feel Calderon favors? I've asked you this before and you've just ignored the question. Let's hear it, finally.

Fact is, Calderon has failed, the PAN has failed, and it has become a bad copy of the PRI. I am not happy at all that as a lifelong supporter of the PAN, I am completely disappointed with the way they have handled things. Now having said that, I am not happy at all as well about having to look at the PRI or the PRD for an improvement. But theres no other choice, I can’t keep supporting a government that has failed to live up to expectations. The PRI has Peña Nieto, and you can say anything about the man, but fact is that his successor is 30pts ahead of the nearest rival, that is a huge lead. You can’t be a bad politician and have such a commanding lead over your rivals, the man has the support of his voters, so he is on to something. The PRD has two choices, if it goes with Lopez Obrador, they are dead, if they nominate Marcelo Ebrard, they have a chance, Marcelo is one of the few serious and respected politicians in the PRD, and could win the presidential election. I am willing to go with either Peña Nieto or Ebrard, but I am punishing the PAN this coming election.

Theres been a long suspicion that Calderon favors the Sinaloa cartel, theres plenty of info in the matter, its up to you to decide. I personally think theres some truth to the accusations.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1269068...

http://neglectedwar.com/blog/archives/3797

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 11:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

HAHAHA yea the responses to the Rose interview have been fact laden. 'cause Jesse & Paul have the inside scoop! now THAT's funny.

Mexico is a huge place. You should get out more and see what's happening to this nation (albeit slowly, but that's how it rolls SOB yo)
besos

40,000 murders, innocent women and children getting killed more often, violence slowly but steadily growing all over the place, cartels getting stronger and more violent, tourism going down the drain, companies don't want to invest here anymore, corruption is up, the rich still have their monopolies.

Yeah, its a great and beautiful nation where the PAN has taken us.

[Edited on 5-31-2011 by BajaNomad]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-31-2011 at 06:34 AM

Quote:
my previous generation waited for 70 yrs and did nothing, i am not about to sit and wait for the "LONG TERM" like you suggest and waste another 70yrs. I want results, and if a politician can't provide them, then get out!!!

guns and butter!
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2011 at 07:18 AM

I very much appreciate the perspectives offered here.

I too have grave worries about the "War on Drugs" that is being waged in the USofA. It is clear to me that the real game changer would be legalization of drugs in the USofA and deal with the aftermath with medical intervention and social stigma which have worked with tobacco. Drug use will not go away. Dealing with it at the consumption end offers in my opinion the best hope.

I appreciate your perspectives Jesse, gnukid and others who have posted. This dialogue provides us, who are not Mexicans, with a broader view of how politics are seen in Mexico. These are dynamic issues and must be viewed in context.

I still maintain that the economy of Mexico has improved significantly and that the future is very bright for manufacturing and the development of a middle class. I have seen this with my own eyes and baja1943's post expands my mainland observations by providing statistics related to Baja.

I have over time expressed grave concerns about the possibility of Mexico becoming a failed state. The consequences of this would have a profound impact on all of the Americas. What I have not been clear about is the impressive prosperity I saw on my last trip to the mainland and Baja. The "take home" for me from all of this is that there coexists both a major war in Mexico and a growing prosperity. I think both are true. How much this is a result of NAFTA, world trade or government policy is not resolved in my mind. The attention to the highway infrastructure of the Calderon administration and the support of international manufacturing may be the single most important contributions of the Calderon administration. I have not seen much evidence of a change in the Napoleanic code, court proceedings or corruption in Mexico. I may be wrong in this as I do not live in Mexico and am only a guest when I visit.

We missed by less than an hour the seige of Morelia on our way to the Monarch reserves so I also have personal experience with the reality of the war in Mexico. The deaths, kidnappings and such are very real indeed. Again I think that the US changing it's drug laws will have the biggest affect on this horrible situation.

Iflyfish
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-31-2011 at 11:30 AM

Godamnit!

Screw the sicarios killing each other. It's extortionists, kidnappers, carjackers, protection rackets, and organized crime sanctioning neighborhood FRANCHISES for criminals that is hurting honest citizens. How would you like to be freakin' awakened at midnight by a knock on your door by a group of thugs that announce that for say a thousand pesos mensual your home would be free of breakins, and home invasions?

You guys are fixated on godammned drugs! Drugs are but a COMPONENT of the misery down here. Not a key, not a foundations, merely another brick in the wall.

Legalized drugs will do Z-E-R-O to reduce the crime rate against citizens, get it through your skull that the end of prohibition did Z-E-R-O to end the mafia in the USA.

Caleron is trying his best to thwart organized crime not just "Drug Cartels". Thugs have cops quaking in their boots an they refuse to respond to normal emergency calls.

Damn it must be nice to sit in another country and pontificate about what is wrong in another. Try living HERE and not THERE. I mean LIVE, for months and years not just a week's vacation.

Thank You For The Cahnce To Rant.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.