Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fish ID
Joelt
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 03:50 PM
Fish ID

Caught this at Wilbers hole near Mulege in early May. About 250 feet on a chrome and blue jig. The head looks like a bass with catfish like wiskers and it seems to have been shorted a respectable tail. The fillets were thick and white and very good.

Joelt
htnfool
Nomad

Mood: Fishy

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 04:04 PM

I have seen fish like that but never that HUGE.

it's a giant 'Pacific bearded BROTULA'.

Great catch by the way. Good to see wilburs kicking out something. I love that spot for yellows

[Edited on 6-1-2011 by htnfool]
Joelt
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 05:59 PM

Thanks htnfool. I have looked all over the place and have come up with nothing. Seems like 250 feet may be a little shallow for this fish. Maybe in shallower water because of lack of food deeper? Or I read somewhere about the lack of oxygen in deeper water in the Sea of Cortez this year. It gave a fight like a cabrilla the same size. Appreciate your help.

Joelt
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 07:34 PM

"In Mexican fishing waters, the Pacific Bearded Brotula ranges from Magdalena Bay southwards along the Pacific side of the Baja California peninsula, throughout the Sea of Cortez, and along the coast of the Mexican mainland south to Guatemala.

The Pacific Bearded Brotula is the only Cusk Eel found in Mexican waters that is larger than 18 inches. It feeds on polychaete worms, small crustaceans, small clams and other invertebrates. It is seldom seen by humans and is of limited interest to most.

The catches shown are very rare by hook and line.

The Pacific Bearded Brotula is a member of the Bythitidae Family which are known in Mexico as brótulas vivíparas. They are long slender fishes with a long dorsal fin that is normally continuous with the anal and dorsal fins. They have small eyes, no fin spines, and very small pelvic fins inserted under the eyes or the gills. They bear their young alive.

The family has 96 species from 33 genera which are found in all types of marine habitats. The reef species live deep in cracks and crevices. A total of seven members of the family live in Mexican waters."
Joelt
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 07:54 PM

Thanks Cisco. Good info. Doesn't sound like many are caught. Maybe it is some kind of record? Actually I could care less about a record. We had a little get together and enjoyed the fish. Thanks again

Joelt
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 08:11 PM

A twinge of meanness hit me initially;

YOU ATE IT!!!

MY GOWD MAN THAT FISH IS THE COELACANTH OF THE PACIFIC!

THERE HAS NEVER BEEN ANYTHING BUT FOSSIL RECORDS AND...YOU ATE IT!

but I was able to overcome that urge before I posted.

Since it is basically a shellfish feeder I bet it was really good too.

Cheers.
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 08:37 PM

Interesting, thanks all.

bacquito
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2011 at 06:13 AM

thats a gulf catfish and the meat is poisoness. are you all still alive?
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 6-2-2011 at 06:55 AM

Little kool-ade and you could have had a real party:lol:
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.