Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: AWAY FROM IT ALL
vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2011 at 05:06 PM
AWAY FROM IT ALL

AWAY FROM IT ALL
John Lowther has come to Rancho Buena Vista with family and friends for the last 18 years. The last several of those years he has chartered our Jen Wren boats for fishing. Time after time he has inquired about doing a multi-day trip where we could have more time to explore the Sea of Cortez.

Now that his resort of choice is no longer in full operation, he decided the time was right so we set up a 5 day 4 night fishing/diving charter. John planned on coming with his wife Mary Ann and youngest son Max. He expressed to me that he has always wondered how fishing would be in the late afternoon/early evening if they didn't have to return to the resort.

Upon requesting the families expectations of this trip to help me with planning and provisions, John sent me this short list.

Max has a bucket list.
He is the only one in the family without a Marlin.
He wants to shoot a fish with a sling or a gun
Max told me to have you bring your best snapper recipe.

Mary Ann said any Vodka and OJ will keep her fine.
Max said a few cold beer and he can drink what ever.

John wishes for great weather and a good time. A nice lobster on the back of the boat would not be bad either.

Day one we departed BV at 8AM and ran to Pescadero. Chuy and I figured we could knock Max's marlin off the bucket list right out of the gate. We trolled to Cerralvo without a bite and stopped at the southern point of the island for a scuba dive. Thankfully the diving was much better then the fishing had been. Then we headed north for Las Cruces where we anchored up for the night. Snorkeling in front of the crosses was excellent and catching a large leopard grouper was a bonus. For dinner we had barbecued spare ribs and corn on the cob after a conch sashimi appetizer.

Day two we left Las Cruces after sun rise and cruised to La Reina. Upon arrival we could see loads of sea life, marlin jumping, birds feeding and big spots of bait in our sounder. Max landed a dorado, then a white Bonita before finally bagging his bucket list marlin. La Reina is an excellent dive sight, but the current appeared to be ripping so we decided to forego the diving. We moved on to El Bajo, then passed Los Islotes and spent the night tucked in a cove at Isla Partida where the sunset was spectacular. For dinner we enjoyed poached grouper and beans and rice with a fresh dorado ceviche for appetizer.

Day three we headed off to dive Las Animas. Conditions were excellent and the diving phenomenal. This sight is always a treat as the fish look like they are on steroids! After the dive we fished our way up to Agua Verde. In the bay snorkeling was fun before a fruitful night dive. After appetizers and c-cktails, dinner was barbecued ribeye steak and baked potatoes.

Day four we worked our way back south. Max finally cried uncle so John took the rod and landed a small striper. The highlight of the day was our visit to Isla Coyote where John almost bought a time share! From there we cruised past Isla San Franciscito, Los Islotes and moored up in a different cove at Isla Partida. After another fun dive and fresh sashimi appetizer, dinner consisted of fresh lobster, chicken cordon bleu and potato salad.

Day five we ran back to La Reina where the fishing action was good. Mary Ann asked if there was a place we could stop and have a traditional Mexican lunch. I knew just the place. We picked up the lures and ran to the Bay of Dreams. At the Baja Beach Club the Lowther's dined on chili rellenos and downed a couple pina coladas before our return to Buena Vista.

Snorkeling at Las Cruces

Chuy with a dandy.

Sunrise over Cerralvo Island

La Reina

Max with our first dorado

White bonita make excellent sashimi or seared tuna. It is easy to tell white bonito from other bonito or skip jack by their choppers. It would be a mistake to stick your finger in there.

Max battling his first marlin

Sunset from Isla Partida

Grouper dinner on Jen Wren III

How do you like your ribeye?

John and Mary Ann contemplating the Coyote time share

The salesman told them phase two is going fast.

Double hook up on Jack Cravell

Mark Rayor
www.thejenwren.com
www.vistaseasport.com
markrayor.blogspot.com

[Edited on 6-20-2011 by vseasport]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 05:26 AM

great report!

what's the rate for a trip like that?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 05:48 AM

I just sent you a U2U
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 09:23 AM

fantastic report and photos to inspire anyone !!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 09:36 AM

NICE!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 09:52 AM

I'm interested! Check your U2U....
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 10:36 AM

very good rate for several guys to split!

how many beds can you comfortably arrange on that boat? for guests i mean.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 10:40 AM

Thanks very much.. used to really like going out fishing on the ocean for a few days ...

Chuey got some fish there... the smile says it all ...

Nice boat... and great pictures...

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 02:31 PM

Mark - did you ever know a boat out of La Paz and San Carlos [mainland side] called No Le Hace? a 55 ft bertram i think. 3 staterooms and couches in the salon. Owned by AZ Wholesale Supply in PHX. Captained by an old salt named Arturo when i used to go on it, builder junkets.

usuall 4-5-6 guys plus 2 man crew, room for all.
3 nites out usually.

his son now is capt.
capt. Arturo retired.

6 mos la paz, 6 mos san carlos rotated yearly.

vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 03:42 PM

Mike,

I don't know these guys but then most of my time is spent on the East Cape.

In my book a 55 Bertram is yachting not boat camping.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2011 at 05:11 AM

yeah, i guess yacht would be the catagory but it is very set up for sport fishing and diving since that's what they have it for.
what make/model of cruiser was this charter done in?

vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2011 at 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
yeah, i guess yacht would be the catagory but it is very set up for sport fishing and diving since that's what they have it for.
what make/model of cruiser was this charter done in?

Cabo Yachts 35 Flybridge
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 6-22-2011 at 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vseasport
Mike,

In my book a 55 Bertram is yachting not boat camping.

A Cabo 35' ain't exactly roughing it either, though is it? What do they go for - 350k used?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2011 at 05:07 AM

the thing i didn't like about the larger boat was it only ran about 11-12 kts full out so it took a long time to go most anyplace. it seemed. i think a 35' cabo would be faster but cramped for 4-5 guys and crew. for a family maybe different.
but - it [the 55' cruiser was very roomy and comfortable for all and had great AC in the cabins and salon. we could be diving and dodo fishing on SOC in July and if you got tired of the heat anytime just head inside and cool off!

the stern was well equipped with 2 fighting chairs and plenty of free board for watching and doing the fishing.

out of Guaymas SC we'd stay in town nights and return to marina each day, out of La Paz we'd stay out and anchor in coves and places like los islotes.

nice boats, glad i don't own one though!

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2011 at 06:52 AM

Just wondering what you are doing with this Jack Cravell?

They should be released, not eaten?
Baja161

Mood: Missing Baja Sur

[*] posted on 6-23-2011 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Just wondering what you are doing with this Jack Cravell?

They should be released, not eaten?

Hmmmmmmm! Didnt see um eatin it? Looked like a picture holding it? :?::tumble:

Looks like an awesome trip! Thanks for the inspiration.....Seen those Isla's so many time from afar now I really want to go. Thanx

[Edited on 6-23-2011 by Baja161]

\"Baja For Life\" Tacos, Cerveza, Surf, Fish, Offroad, Pura Vida!!!!
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 6-23-2011 at 10:28 AM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Breath taken! I need to go there! Maybe some day when ill burn all my ties here from work~

READY SET.....................
vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2011 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
the thing i didn't like about the larger boat was it only ran about 11-12 kts full out so it took a long time to go most anyplace. it seemed. i think a 35' cabo would be faster but cramped for 4-5 guys and crew. for a family maybe different.
but - it [the 55' cruiser was very roomy and comfortable for all and had great AC in the cabins and salon. we could be diving and dodo fishing on SOC in July and if you got tired of the heat anytime just head inside and cool off!

the stern was well equipped with 2 fighting chairs and plenty of free board for watching and doing the fishing.

out of Guaymas SC we'd stay in town nights and return to marina each day, out of La Paz we'd stay out and anchor in coves and places like los islotes.

Kinda odd that boat couldn't get more speed. We cruise at 21-22 knots and top out close to 30. On this trip we did spend most of our time trolling but did pick up and jam a few times when we wanted to get somewhere.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2011 at 01:42 AM

Jack Cravell is inedible.

You should release instead of killing for no reason. Super waste.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2011 at 05:00 AM
yeah, not sure really.

Quote:
Originally posted by vseasport
Quote:

Kinda odd that boat couldn't get more speed. We cruise at 21-22 knots and top out close to 30. On this trip we did spend most of our time trolling but did pick up and jam a few times when we wanted to get somewhere.

it is a big boat and old too, like 30-40 years at least.
twin diesels, perhaps it could go faster and they cruised at 12 kts for economy. In the early 90s when the only portable GPSs were for GA i would take my Lowrance 5" out of the plane once we got there [la paz or san carlos] and bring it on the boat. that's how i followed the speed real time.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.