BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: BajaCactus-El Rosario-What a Dump!
Cielomar
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 08:41 AM
BajaCactus-El Rosario-What a Dump!

After reading all the raves about BajaCactus we decided to stay there the first night going south rather than push on to Catavina as we usually do. Was pulling a trailer so a bit slower going. I had heard so many good things about the motel I was looking forward to some place decent along the road for a change. Wow-what a surprise. I got stuck in room # 6 and it reminded me of a backpacker $2 motel in India. What a filthy dump!! Worst bed I ever paid for. Looking around the next day it appears that there is an old section (rooms 1-8) and the newer section.
Bottom line-if there's no room in the new section, move on. I would have done better sleeping on the beach that night. Of yea, and the charge the same as the new section for the pleasure of a miserable night in a lumpy bed.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 08:43 AM

you could have always got your money back and went to the beach, or anywhere else. it was your choice.

the other rooms are incredible......

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 08:47 AM
PICTURES OF BEAUTIFUL ROOM ....

ohhhh Cielomar, what a shame .... it is always frustrating to have a vision and have it deflated .... I have persoanlly never stayed at Baja Cactus since it is just on our way and not a stopping point, but perhaps check out thenew room next time ... CHECK OUT THE PICS .... they look simply fantastic.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=35170#pid6132...

[Edited on 6-25-2011 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
drarroyo
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

the other rooms are incredible......

ook. that might be a wee stretch.
my experience has been clean / affordable rooms (with trucks braking on the hill but hey)
incredible?? best you lay off the Tacoma guy's kool-aid
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 08:56 AM

well, i don't expect a ritz carlton. i guarantee there is no better room for the price anywhere.

what's a tacoma?:lol::rolleyes::lol:

drarroyo
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

what's a tacoma?:lol::rolleyes::lol:

:lol: it's a reliable machine I've owned since 2000, but don't find any need to CLUTTER cyber-space with endless photos. YAAAWN :P
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 09:03 AM

copy that!

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 09:03 AM

Very nice place, reliable, affordable and in the right place-next to Mamas! I like the cheap rooms! Makes me feel like a commercial trucker.
jenny.navarrette
Banned

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cielomar

...I would have done better sleeping on the beach that night. Of yea, and the charge the same as the new section for the pleasure of a miserable night in a lumpy bed.

Welcome to BajaNomads, grasshopper, where hyperbole and outright lies about Mexico have risen to a higher art form. If you came here for any useful information, you're in the wrong place. There is a close-knit group here who will pee on your head and tell you it is raining.
:rolleyes:
drarroyo
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jenny.navarrette
Welcome to BajaNomads, grasshopper, where hyperbole and outright lies about Mexico have risen to a higher art form. If you came here for any useful information, you're in the wrong place. There is a close-knit group here who will pee on your head and tell you it is raining.

well, maybe minimal useful information, in the big picture ... but outright lies??
you sure have a beef. wonder what crisis fermented this in you.(?)
truly sorry, whatever it was
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 09:18 AM

About 2 years ago I stayed in one of the older rooms and it was as bad as you described. All the bathroom fixtures were broken and no hot water. The bed sucked to the point the dog slept on the floor. I've been back a few time since a got a newer room that I liked very much. Antonio, you really need to bring the bad rooms up to date! Bad experiences spreads faster than the good ones.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
After reading all the raves about BajaCactus we decided to stay there the first night going south rather than push on to Catavina as we usually do. Was pulling a trailer so a bit slower going. I had heard so many good things about the motel I was looking forward to some place decent along the road for a change. Wow-what a surprise. I got stuck in room # 6 and it reminded me of a backpacker $2 motel in India. What a filthy dump!! Worst bed I ever paid for. Looking around the next day it appears that there is an old section (rooms 1-8) and the newer section.
Bottom line-if there's no room in the new section, move on. I would have done better sleeping on the beach that night. Of yea, and the charge the same as the new section for the pleasure of a miserable night in a lumpy bed.

I have rented one of the old rooms when motorcycling alone and last paid 200 Pesos for it as opposed to the 350 Pesos paid for the newer rooms we take when there are two of us. We have also stayed at the Turista Motel on the other side of town and their rooms for 300 Pesos are very nice with a good king size bed.
bajajazz
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 09:22 AM

Baja Cactus and the Espinosa joint together can't hold a candle to the new "Tourista" motel at the south end of El Rosario and the gringo-run restaurant across the road from it.
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 09:25 AM

One time I was traveling north with friends (a couple), and they got one of the new upper rooms and I got one of the old rooms (I think it was room 6). I was a bit jealous of them as they bragged about their 'honeymoon suite', but my room was your basic Baja accommodation - not bad at all and very clean. I don't think Cielomar has stayed in many Baja hotels - you can do alot worse and spend more pesos. And speaking of that - anyone stayed at the latest Catavina incarnation yet - and can give a report & prices?
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 09:37 AM

The Cactus is what it is. Used to be there wasnt that many choices up and down Highway One, not that way any more.every time we go south seems like we see new ones especially in San Ouinten there is 2 or three I would not pass up to spend the night in El Rosario.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 09:38 AM

Quote:

I am sure you were told that the new rooms were full before being offered the original room? Most here already know that the raves are for the new rooms at Baja Cactus. However, the old rooms are cleaned to the same degree as the new ones... so calling the motel a filthy dump because you diodn't reserve a room or got there after they filled up is a bit unfair, don't you think?

Also, they are not the same price as the new rooms.. a new room single bed is a wopping $35 and the one you stayed in was $20 approx.

Juan and Shari of Bahia Asuncion have raved about Baja Cactus and they have only stayed in the OLDER ROOMS (at the time)... So, really bad you felt ripped by not getting a newer room (new since 2004), but is it the motel's fault and is it fair to title your post as the whole place being filthy?

Next time stay at the Sinahi Motel or Mama Espinoza's and check it over real well... If Baja Cactus is full, we have stayed at the Turista Motel and it is VERY NICE, as well... Then there is some luxury at Baja's Best Bed and Breakfast, across from the Turista.

If the economy perks back up, the old rooms will be removed when more new ones can be built. The mini market/ taco shop is next on the construction list for Baja Cactus, however.

(PS does someone want to see my truck in this thread? :lol: )

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 09:59 AM

We have stayed in both new and old rooms. The new rooms are awesome and beautiful for the price especially. The old room I didn't think was bad at all, I've stayed in WAY worse, and the right price, about $21 usd at the time. It was March 1 and a bit cold out, we were glad we had a space heater with us, other than that, happy with the deal. Make a reservation to be sure to get a newer room.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:

...I would have done better sleeping on the beach that night. Of yea, and the charge the same as the new section for the pleasure of a miserable night in a lumpy bed.

Nice comment, specially coming from a person banned several times that keeps coming back like a bad cold under different aliases.
jenny.navarrette
Banned

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Nice comment, specially coming from a person banned several times...

Why don't you ask Dennis why I'm here. Be sure you are sitting down.
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Quote:
Quote:

Nice comment, specially coming from a person banned several times that keeps coming back like a bad cold under different aliases.

Could not of put it better Jesse and drarroyo.:fire::fire: I can't see myself going to a website for the sole purpose of spreading hatred..
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.