Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Surf fishing in Bahia Asuncion
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 10:12 AM
Surf fishing in Bahia Asuncion

Hola Nomads, We're gonna try surf fishing for halibut when we go down to BA in August. Any recommendations on what size-weight/design-color of "Kroc" lures would be appreciated. We'll be using anything between 8 to 20 pound test line. Thanks in advance, Paul Boe
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 12:40 PM

Most colors work, I like the chrome prism seems to work everywhere. Match the lure size to your equipment, smaller will get you more strikes, bigger might get you bigger fish (I haven't proven this theory).

A lot of people like Krocks but they wouldn't be my first choice. Twin tail scampis work well, white seems to be the preferred color but root beer or other darker colors can be productive when it is overcast or the water is cloudy. Swim baits are also a good bet, try Big Hammer 3" in grey, blue or root beer with a 1/4 or 3/8 oz jig head.

The beach area in front of Campo Serina is a good area, look for areas where the back flow current seems to slow down indicating a deeper area than the surrounding bottom.

Seaweed can be a problem at times. Sometimes it's a matter of where you can fish rather than where you want to. You want to keep your lure at or near the bottom, sometimes you can only get 10 or 15' or retrieve before getting fouled with weeds but if the fish are around that's all it takes. Always try to throw your lure right in their mouth, it works better that way:lol::lol:

Looking back at the original question I guess I got a little carried away with my reply.....guess I need to get up and find something to do.....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 01:26 PM

I got a nice one right in front of Campo Serina

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=50825#pid5921...
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 03:18 PM

I like the castmasters with the white bucktails on them, over krocs. White scampis are also good, but the tails get bitten off by every little fish that swims by. The weeds are a problem for everything, and more for a lure with trebble hooks. You need to use line heavy enough to pull a stuck lure out of the weeds, or you will go broke buying lures.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 04:33 PM

I know that krocks have their fans but you are missing a bet if you don,t try Kastmasters,K/M,s will but you in deeper water because of the design not weight,they were build originally for stripers and bluefish on the east coast with distance in mind but they are more than casters they are catchers.

The bigger fish fish daytime will always be a little farther out there,blue/chrome green/chrome3/8# or 1/2# sometimes 1/4# works even better depending on conditions and your rig.

When working a K/M on the beach you will catch a good mix of fish,yfc,butts,wsb,barred perch,I,ve even a corbina on occasion with a brown sand crab color I made 1/4#.

And no I don,t work for Acme I just know a good thing when I fish it:lol:
Rob
If the weeds are a problem have a couple with single hooks.

[Edited on 6-25-2011 by baitcast]

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2011 at 10:16 AM

Thanks to all for the info. Now to order a bunch of stuff from Bass-Pro!!!
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2011 at 10:36 AM

One more thing,before commiting to a mail order for stuff,aways try to see something up close and personal,touch it,feel it talk to or better yet try someones stuff,is he successful with it and why?

To many times I,ve had friends mail order stuff with-out ever trying it out first and are most unhappy with it.

most fishing lures have some action built in and than are others with none and with them you must impart that action,with the K/M there are several from the super slow wobble to the super burn Texas whip:lol: that means really fast and everything in between.

Just a few more thoughts.
Rob
One more thing :lol: a retrieve on the west side is generally slower because of the species your fishing for,on the other side speed is the ticket,you can,t go to fast!

[Edited on 6-26-2011 by baitcast]

[Edited on 6-26-2011 by baitcast]

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2011 at 05:03 PM

With the c/m's I usually do a fast to very fast retrieve. Roosters over here love something that splashes. Slow or medium retrieves with the c/m's get hung up a lot and I'll switch to a Kroc or scampi type lure. Bait fishing(Pacific side) when the sand crabs are showing means the fish are close in and I'll use a Carolina rig with a 2' or 3' leader and 1/2oz to 3/4oz egg sinker. If the sand crabs are small just load up the hook. Short casts & follow the sinker in with just a light tension to feel the bite. You'll get bit all the way in so don't reel in to cast out again until you're almost on the beach.
That's are just my way and, of course, I'm crazy:?:

[Edited on 6-27-2011 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2011 at 07:16 AM

With a 1/4# to 3/8# K/M I rarely get hung up? rod position maybe,depending on wave and current s i use the rod at 10 o-clock which may have something to do with it,but on the gulf side those factors mean little.

Normally I never use bait it just puts me to sleep,love throwing stuff:lol: and there is normally something they well hit,if its noon and they are asleep in desperation will put on a crab if available.

We are talking west side still, there was a bait we used many years ago called a scrounger,just a jig but with the lip on top instead of on the bottom and a motor oil worm damn thing caught us many many fish in Calif. and west side Baja,anything on the beach would hit those things.

Just luv talking about this kind of stuff:biggrin:
Rob

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2011 at 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
With a 1/4# to 3/8# K/M

A little enlightenment here for the rookies...

What does the # mean? 1/4 ounce or 1/4 pound? 1/4 ounce seems like trout-sized while 1/4 pound (4 oz, or in another post, 1/2#, seems like trophy, wall-hanging size?
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2011 at 07:54 AM

Sorry lazy maybe:rolleyes:ounce and the neat thing about K/M,s you can take the same ones to any trout lake and knot them dead,the 1/8# and 1/4# works for all kinds of fish in fresh water!!
Rob ..................OPPS ounce

[Edited on 6-27-2011 by baitcast]

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2011 at 08:31 AM

Yeah I used some 2 oz Kastmasters (at Asuncion) and they were too big or at least I didn't catch anything. Maybe try the 1 oz?
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2011 at 08:31 AM

the Scrounger! Deadly on barracuda. Haven't seen any in a decade or so. I still have a couple of heads but the worm part disintegrated. Would love to get more and try them in Baja waters.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2011 at 08:41 AM

Mitch take any bass worm of 4"or 5" brown or motor oil works just fine did it many times:)
Rob

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-27-2011 at 08:45 AM

Juan and I had a great day surf fishing yesterday at secret beach and caught our limit of sweet yellowfin croaker at high tide on medium silver krocs...yum yum...
(no pics due to inappropriate bathing suit:o) (ladies..U2U me for video:!:)

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2011 at 08:47 AM

Marty sounds like your rig is to heavy try going much lighter I,m talking rod/reel,a spinner with 10#or 12# max,I found 3/8# was the best all around and you will get bit more often with the lighter line.
Rob

surfdoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2011 at 08:52 AM

The Halibut fishing is super slow in town, part due to time of year, and also south swells that continue, just can't get past the weeds.

Anyway... I'm useing a Steelhead 8'6" rod and a Okuma trio spinning reel, line 8-15# is fine. As has been said, lighter line more break offs. 12-15 seems perfect for yanking out of the weeds here.
All the lures,and plastics mentioned will work. I've taken my
fish on Ab Tripe sofar this year, but it's early.

Send me a U2U/PM/Chat closer to when your coming down. I'll give ya the latest dope. And if the playas arn't working, I'm sure we could find a few fish on the MoJac.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2011 at 09:53 AM

Gracias a todo. Hasta Pronto!!!
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2011 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
Marty sounds like your rig is to heavy try going much lighter I,m talking rod/reel,a spinner with 10#or 12# max,I found 3/8# was the best all around and you will get bit more often with the lighter line.
Rob

Thanks Rob. Guess I better add another setup to the arsenal.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2011 at 03:54 PM

Marty most people when fishing the beach think you need a long rod but really most fish are much closer than you might think,I have never used a rod longer than 7'on a bait-caster and the same for a spinner,I may have a one 7/12' once,but keep in mind there is a big difference in the fish on the east side,nasty critters over there:)
Rob

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.