BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trip report - Cabo to Otay Mesa
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 03:44 PM
Trip report - Cabo to Otay Mesa

We made the trek from CSL to Otay Mesa last Tuesday and Wednesday. There is lots of highway construction on Highway 1. The road is definitely better in Baja Sur than Baja Norte. In Norte I have never seen the road in worse shape in the last 6 years.

There is intermittant construction from south of Loreto to Mulege. There is also a lot of contruction from Guerrero Negro all the way to Camalu. They appear to be widening the road to accomodate a shoulder and repair work continues on bridges. There were few bypass detours. You just travel along right behind the road graders!

On Wednesday afternoon, we waited in line for 2 1/2 hours at Otay! What a mess! We are scheduled to go for our Sentri pass interview later this month, but we are having second thoughts. We figure it takes us about the same time to drive from Ensenada to Tecate as Ensenada to Otay after you deal with a Chinese fire drill military stop south of Rosarito and then deal with Tijuana local traffic. The longest we have ever had to wait at Tecate was 30 minutes. We think we will save time by going through Tecate even with using a Sentri pass at Otay. And then there is the 60 pesos in tolls north of Ensenada and the $250 for the Sentri pass.........we think we'll just stick with good ol' Tecate. Maybe someday they will offer a Sentri lane at Tecate. ?Quien sabe?
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 7-2-2011 at 11:06 AM

BUMP
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2011 at 01:12 PM

The past debate on what route to take has been mostly Tecate vs. San Ysidro. I think the time spent traveling getting to Tecate plus the mountain road (94) getting to 8 or 805 vs. sitting for a while in line at San Ysidro, is well worth it. I don't know how long it takes at San Ysidro with Sentri but that might be the solution. And the amount of time spent in line there, or Otay, is sometimes luck of the draw.

I don't mind the drive to Tecate and think it's a beautiful road -- along with 94. (I prefer the Otay Lakes Rd. off 94, then to Telegraph Canyon Rd. to 805, personally.)

Sometimes delays are unforeseen.

I'd rather drive than sit in line any day. Take Tecate. Think the odds are in your favor there will be a short delay only.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-2-2011 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
I don't know how long it takes at San Ysidro with Sentri but that might be the solution.

Last week crossed three times: Monday, Thursday and Friday
7 min, 12 min and 20 min, respectively. 15-20 is pretty typical around 5:30PM, when I often cross. But it doesn't vary much at other times either.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2011 at 12:08 PM

IF I were crossing North more than a couple times a year, I'd definitely get a Sentri and cross at San Ysidro. Since that's not my case, crossing at Tecate is good for me.

It is round-about and feels out of the way but when I'm crossing, I'm not in a hurry -- and I don't like the lines at San Ysidro.

Hoping for the best there, then waiting for an hour or two is unacceptable to me. Lucky is waiting less than an hour. Not good enough.

Besides, Hgwy 3 is a beautiful road.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2011 at 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Besides, Hgwy 3 is a beautiful road.

One of my favorites....especially after the rains. Clean and green.
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 7-4-2011 at 08:28 AM

Get your Sentri and then know just how FUN crossing can be without all the drama!! I had taken Tecate route before but then you are stuck with crooked roadways on 94 and if behind slow moving trucks and cross traffic your day just got longer my friend. I have also found that crossing Tecate from 8am to 9am is usually shorter lines but have been in 1 1/2 hour lines there also with just two lanes entering customs there. On my motorcycle Tecate is fast and sweet,LOL. Note: My crossing time leaving from Las Gaviotas taking free road to Sentri exit in San Ysido runs from 45 minutes to a little over an hour.
The actual time in San Ysidro Sentri is usually 15 minutes depending on crossing times and never longer than 35 minutes so far, now knocking on wood maybe I just jinked myself,LOL. My sentri times in Mexicali at old port and new port usually10 to 15 minutes with some 30 minutes due to holidays or local traffic in Sentri line turning off on sidestreets going back into Mexicali making the line longer. Wish they would fix that part but out at new port the Sentri is always fast so far. All said, the Sentri is still your crossing trip solution to MORE FUN in less time!! LOL Take Care & Travel Safe-- "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2011 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777
All said, the Sentri is still your crossing trip solution to MORE FUN in less time!! LOL Take Care & Travel Safe-- "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

I've been sold. I enjoy 94 even more than 3. The curves are less stressful than the mountain passes in Baja and relaxing and enjoying the drive is key. It feels like a short drive to Otay Lakes Rd.

Still, I'm getting a Sentri as a backup and option to passing through San Ysidro.

Is there a post on how to access the lane at the border? Any secret to getting one?
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 7-4-2011 at 11:06 AM

Lee, U2U me with your email and I will send you pics of how to access the Sentri at San Ysidro. We took pics of how to get there from getting on free road just as you are leaving Rosarito heading north. Will show the Indian Statue on Paseo de Heroes (think I spellled that right) which you go half way around as you go over the bridge taking the first right into the Electric Company Parking area. You will go all the way to the stop sign at the end of the building, hang a right then get in the left lane and let the good times roll. You will end up seeing signs saying Sentri and due to road work you will shift to the right lane as you come to the end of the road with a bridge just to your left they have a stop sign like you,however beware as you proceed across the intersection. Stay to your left as you enter the Sentri lanes, as the switch lane people keep holding up traffic but if you are in the far left lane you don't have to put up with that stuff.
Easy once you do it and pics really help you know it as you go. Just print out pics and keep them in your vehicle the first couple of times and you will know it by heart. Take Care & Travel Safe----" No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 02:33 PM

We just crossed yesterday at 3:45 pm at the San Ysidro Sentri; it seemed that every road even in the slightest direction towards the US was backed up or blocked by the TJ police with their yellow tape. But we took a few detours and ended up in the Sentri lane without too much of a hassle; and the whole process took about 30 minutes, including the wait to get through. I can only imagine how long the wait must have been for everyone else; hours and hours. Sentri is absolutely worth it; not only does it make last-minute trips to Baja worth it (before we'd avoid going due to the horrendous return process), but we can also now use the TJ airport and get cheap flights on Volaris down to the mainland and return back at the Otay Sentri which is also easy. It can be tricky at first to find the entrances for each crossing but once you do it a few times, it becomes pretty easy. I think that Tecate is just too much of a hassle for all the reasons already mentioned. By the way, I agree with the statement that the roads in BCN are much worse than BCS, although with all the work they're doing maybe in a few years that will change. The stretch south of Catavina to Laguna Chapala is literally just gravel; no pavement at all for several miles. Towing a boat was a real blast through that section, especially with the semis flying the other way and stirring up so much dust that you're literally blinded at times. I must admit, however, that the parts where the road is done are really great.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.