Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: PART 3 - SAN JUANICO TO LA BOCANA
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2011 at 02:01 PM
PART 3 - SAN JUANICO TO LA BOCANA

For our return trip, we decided to go via Mulege or East. The first village we saw as we left was La Barrancas.

I wanted to see it quickly, so we headed for the fishing port. The guys had just come in and they caught 20 tons YES TWENTY tons of yellowtail !!!!

They do not do sportfishing there, Les asked…too bad !! They suggested going up the road, maybe another time.

The road out from Las Barrancas was very easy going the whole way. Soon we reached La Purissima and put in some gas which made the car start pinging (bad gas). The scenery was fantastic since it is an oasis … green everywhere, trees everywhere, flowers galore.

We traveled on and the road got very remote. Kinda scary to be on such a long ride with no people around. Where the map said there were ranches, we saw NONE. And every so often where one was not even listed, lo and behold, there the rancho was !

Main issue was the HEAT – my Gawwwwwwwwwwwwd it was really hot. We took water, but it got so hot so fast and who wants to drink really hot water in really hot weather ???? ugh. But the road was smooth for the most part and as we went thru the mountains, it got prettier and prettier.

Probably took us 2 hours in all through some great views of cacti.

And then, wow, the Sea of Cortez came into view soon after we got onto highway 1.

The green blue hues were shimmering and when we got to Burro beach, Les turned onto the beach and in we went, Rex too. The water was a perfect coolish temperature compared to the easily 90’s temps outside.

Lunch was fine, we ate at Bertha’s, I had never eaten there before. The lady there let me get some cuttings, all in all, this was a great plant trip !!

It was wonderful to pull into La Bocana while it was still light outside.

This is a picture of the la bocana freeway - AKA the saltflats. I ost this to show that even though the area to the rightof the road looks solid - IT IS NOT. so, when on a salt flat, one must always travel on the hard packed well trod main road and not on the sides. There is where you sink ....

A shower, a beer for Les and a glass of wine for me as we talked about the trip was how we ended our evening …. And we’ve already decided to travel Tuesday to Puerto Nuevo (north of Asuncion).

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
standingwave
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2011 at 02:16 PM

We drove that route in early June on our way to Asuncion. The salt flats are great, freeway driving at its best - lots of room and no traffic! Then we hit the killer wash board north of La Bocana - not so good.:no:

\"I could not help concluding this man had the most supreme pleasure while he was driven so fast and so smoothly by the sea.\"
James Cook
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2011 at 06:49 PM

recently graded. time to come over...no wait ...fish aren't here yet but they are close !!!!

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-4-2011 at 08:08 PM

Blanca

did you notice in picture 5 on the right side that cut in the wall about 10 feet up? it's an irrigation canal built by the indios for the missionaries. it's really cool to see the water flowing via a pump and then gravity does the rest. in the old days they prolly used mules to pump it.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 07:23 AM

woody - I meant to mention that, as it is actually the reason I took the photo ... imagine an irrigation canal that takes water to each one's individual house ... I am guessing a lot of Indians were kept busy with that little project !

Come visit La Bocana

EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 7-6-2011 at 09:31 AM

Blanca,
Nice series of posts, glad you and Les had a good run, and thanks for posting the hotel in Scorpion Bay. Berthas is a good stop for us too. We launch the kayaks there and our friend has a palapa just down the beach. Dog "Guapo" has been with us a month and seems as mended as can be expected at his age. Bonnie on the other hand slipped on ice plant while walking him and broke a leg. I told her to heal quick or I'd prop her in a corner then head to Baja by myself.

EdZ KG6UTS
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2011 at 05:37 PM

Ed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our warmest regards to Bonnie ... and fast mending for sure .... heck, bring her to Baja and we'll take care of her while you fish !!!

Loved the name GUAPO !!

take care you two.

Come visit La Bocana

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.