Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Juanico camping
oldtortisegrl
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2011 at 03:51 PM
San Juanico camping

Camped in San Juanico campground from 7/19-7/23. The price was 150 pesos per person. Ended up negotiating the price and paid $350.00 U.S. for 5 nights/8 people. We had a great view of second point but that was a lot of dinero. There is wifi at the cantina, no other service at the cantina. Cold showers, clean bathrooms and they pick-up trash. Those who were in the know camped down by first point for free. Lots of surfers from sunrise to sunset. Once I counted 23 at second point. A group of kids (won't mention where they were from) were really rude and stupid. From throwing a bocci ball onto one of our surfboards to speeding down the beach almost running over my husband. They were the worst thing about SJ. The local people are very nice and the local hotel is new and clean. The other place to eat is Christie's across from the hotel. The road from Insurgentes is still poor but once you turn off from it, the road is the nicest one in Baja. New pavement likely placed for all the gringos who own homes in SJ. no place in Baja like it....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-6-2011 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldtortisegrl
Camped in San Juanico campground from 7/19-7/23. The price was 150 pesos per person. Ended up negotiating the price and paid $350.00 U.S. for 5 nights/8 people.

pricy!
for that price they should include breakfast!
post a pic of the campsite, must have been deluxe!
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2011 at 04:43 PM

Bocci Ball and acting like idiots? They must have been from Orange county. :)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2011 at 05:27 PM

I mentioned in my trip report that a lot of locals are NOT happy with some of the surfers ... and it is a right shame that they give the rest of the good guys a bad rap, but there you have it. Boy, that is expensive camping !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 10:06 AM

Turtle Girl must have been camping in one of the Camp Rental rooms. No food or drinks offered? At one time it was a Cool place to hang out. I hear there are hundreds of Surfers there for a Swell Event! Lots of rude and stupid these days!! Tell us about it Woody; you've been a witness, verdad?!:( Tio
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 10:22 AM

I'm typing from the cantina right now. $150p per person per night - we're camping out on the second point bluff. I just asked the guy sitting right next to me about the palapa houses. He said they are $45. us for two persons, then $15. each additional night.

There aren't too many people here, everyone we've met are super friendly. The water is beautiful, lots of rays though.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 10:26 AM

I am pretty sure $350 is more than I have paid to camp in Baja for the last 20 years combined. I don't even understand how a campsite could be that much. Did it come with servants? Did you have complimentary abalone and truffles for breakfast? Did it come with a map to nearby buried treasure?

That is bizarre.
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 11:26 AM

That comes out to be $10/person/day, which really isn't that bad for the services provided: showers, bano, trash pick-up and WiFi access. And you are camping right in front of a darn good wave (even though you have to share with LOTS of other surfers). Sure you can camp for free in most of Baja, but don't expect that in a town where alot of gringos have spent big bucks to buy their small piece of paradise.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 11:40 AM

IO just noticed Tortoise, that the above dates need to be fixed ...should read for JUNE, right ?

I think $10 pp is expensive for Baja ... whether people have bought the land or not, camping is camping and we are in Baja ... IMO.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 12:43 PM

Hmmm 23 in the water... rude... out of control teens

Confirms the rumors I've heard.

I'll pass

They paid their 30 pieces of silver and they can own the break. Its theirs

Trust me, there are so many little paradises and wonderful people to meet on the peninsula.....

if you're willing to go looking.

Happy Hunting!

No worries
oldtortisegrl
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 09:46 AM

No buried treasure or truffles just some dirt with a view. According to one of the locals the population of SJ is more than 70% gringo....who knows. There was a swell happening when we were there and we watched the place fill up. Not to many camps within the campground when we were there and maybe five at first point. Apparently many fly in property owners, a real scene. The surf was perfect with many competing for the waves from daybreak to sunset. Did get into the rabbit...reminds me of old Baja....nothing much there...
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 10:43 AM

anyone who things $10 a head for good camping with decent facilities is too much to pay must live under a rock like the Geico guys.:smug:

that's cheap! enjoy it. what do you expect? the locals to give it away and give you showers, trash pickup etc?
get real.

if they are flying in it is to Cadeje 10 miles away, i know only a couple that do that since they are flying sams and aeromedicos.
the rest go to Loreto. SJ needs an airstrip like it had in the 80s - maybe someone will finally pony up for one.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 10:53 AM

Pricey maybee, The way I see it there is hundreds of miles of coast line where there is no charge or very little. I personaly will look for the clean well maintained canpground first. I look at it like I look at resturants I dont mind paying for quality food. but I hate paying Quality prices and getting crap.
Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 12:50 PM

Did anybody do the math?
It actually comes down to 8.75 per person. Not that bad for a good prime spot. But you should have had hot showers for that. How many tents or cars were involved? If it was all one family, you should have had a brake. It all depends how you look at it. Did you use power?

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 02:04 PM

We were done with the place when they put up the bar. I have been back twice and there are just to many Gringos. With to small a window for surf. It is rare to hear double overhead or full cover ups. I'll go to other places for both.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

oldtortisegrl
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2011 at 02:56 PM

Yup....next time different trip....my son learned how to surf at SJ so for him he likes checking it out.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.