Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Ventana / El Sargento
bajajurel
Nomad

Mood: Fishing for fun

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 07:46 PM
La Ventana / El Sargento

I just returned from great trip fishing off Isla Ceralvo. I free-lanced it this time instead of using one of the established fishing outfits out of La Paz as I had so many times in the past. We were tired of the 45 minute van ride each way and the fact the Pangas all had to be in at the same time to catch the ride back.

Getting a rental car at the airport in La Paz is a joke. It's like let's make a deal. I had made a reservation with Thrifty for $70 for a week and on arrival they wanted 4X the rate to add on insurance so my buddy went counter to counter while I talked to the guy at the next counter. My buddy would yell down the price he got and the guy I was dealing with said he' match it. That went on for 5 minutes till we got it down to a reasonable price.

Next stop was Wallymart for ice, beer and supplies. Convenience is what it’s all about – they even have several ATM’s to stock up on cash. By now we were really hungry so the next stop was for tacos at the Bismark on the Malecon, then off to El Sargento.

Having seen the lights many times from Las Arenas I was always intrigued with wanting to explore La Ventana & El Sargento. I got the chance – it was an easy ride and finding our lodging was simple. After check-in and a few beers we assembled our fishing gear and readied ourselves for the next day’s battle.

My bungalow

Breakfast was served at 5:30 and then it was a short walk down to the beach to board our brand new Panga.

Great omelets!

The Capitan took us up to Las Cruces where there is a small breakwater with some Pangas moored. Bait was plentiful and with an expert cast Favio filled the bait tank. We hit they buoys for Dorado.

After a successful day we of course had to carry our fillets down to the all new Las Palmas restaurant for a great meal.

This went on for the next week, some days being blown off the water other days spent at the 88 spot (no tuna for us) or trolling and hitting all the buoys for Dorado and one small Marlin that lasted for only about 15 seconds. On our day off we hit the beach at El Farro / Las Arenas for some shore fishing and hooked into a marauding Dorado and a Paz Gallo that were both lost at the shore line. We landed plenty of those pesky needle-fish though.

The week flew by and we returned refreshed until we hit the border. As we were landing in TJ my buddy could see the traffic at Otay backed up for miles so our driver took us to San Ysidro and civilization came back into reality – 3 hours to cross. Never had we experienced this before.

If you would like to hear more about where we stayed, U2U me and I can help get you set up for a memorable, peaceful stay in Baja.

Our Cook Gladiz

Isla Ceralvo

Another fine meal at Las Palmas

My room.

Another day in Baja

Dinner and Cerveza!

I get off the Panga and walk to my room. Much better that a 45 minute ride to La Paz:bounce:

[Edited on 7-11-2011 by bajajurel]

bajajurel
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 7-11-2011 at 06:36 AM

Great report, I have to give that area a try. Where do I find the bungalow info?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2011 at 08:09 AM

we ate at the LAS PALMAS too !!! what a view .... what good food .... what atmosphere .....

La Ventana is a gorgeous location .... great report, thanks !!

[Edited on 7-12-2011 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2011 at 08:17 AM

Send me the accommodation info...great report! I've fished that area for 20 years...never gets old!

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2011 at 08:38 AM

Great report-- thanks-- can you send me the info on how you selected the pangas? did you just make a deal the day before or something else and approximate costs per day? Thanks-- Norm

Life is too short to drink bad wine
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2011 at 08:59 AM

"If you would like to hear more about where we stayed, U2U me and I can help get you set up for a memorable, peaceful stay in Baja."

"Send me the panga info ..."

Why not just post it for all to see? :?:
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2011 at 09:55 AM

Les is going fishing there next month and requests you share the lodging information. thanks.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2011 at 02:23 PM

Jerry.....Sounds like a great trip, and I'm sure that staying on site is much better than spending a couple of hours a day commuting in a van from La Paz.
Did you get a chance to work around Roca Montana?
bajajurel
Nomad

Mood: Fishing for fun

[*] posted on 7-11-2011 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Jerry.....Sounds like a great trip, and I'm sure that staying on site is much better than spending a couple of hours a day commuting in a van from La Paz.
Did you get a chance to work around Roca Montana?

Hi Bill,

We worked an area off Ceralvo called La Reina - a rock formation jutting out of the water on the west / north/west side of the island. I don't know if that is the same place. Also worked the north end & west side / the channel / the south end and on the west side by Las Cruces / El Sargento / La Ventana. We also worked the 88 Bajo and Las Arenas.

They have beach launching at El Sargento that looks pretty decent. There's a gas station in town too.

If we don't sell our boat we will probably pull it down there next year and rent a place for a month. We are supposed to go to Los Barriles in Sept. but they all seem to go to the 88 Bajo to fish so I'm trying to get out of that reservation and go back to La Ventana.

Regards,
Jerry

bajajurel
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2011 at 07:29 PM

Wow! Very nicely done.

Tres Palmas restaurant is among the most reliable and enjoyable places to visit in el Sargento! Que bueno!
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2011 at 10:08 AM

Amigo, please share with us all! The Bungalows--I think I recognize the entry gate. Tres Palmas restaurant located there? Did they contact the panga? Costs involved if you would be so kind. I have visited two times this year after driving by for many years. Gracias. Tio

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.