Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fourth of July week trip to Loreto
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2011 at 07:55 PM
Fourth of July week trip to Loreto

Took the holiday week off to go to Loreto with hopes of catching some Dorado. On the way down we for the first time we did not get "pulled over" to the inspection zone for
being so heavy. I drive a 1995 suburban 4x4 and that always
seems to set off some flag to be inspected. So the problem
was where do we park to pay for our 6 month pass?
Well we hung the first right and whipped around the traffic cvircle twice before we decided that we should park in the parking lot next to a ouside vending area. from there we walked to the inspection area completely ignoring the bilingual sign that says do not enter. The first time I turned around and asked the taxi drivers how would I get in if I
obeyed the sign,they said ignore it. Every one does.
After getting our paperwork set we went down the toll road
until the last toll where we were given a very intense inspection. The young soldier seemed especially keen on my GPS unit and asked a lot of questions such as what do I use it for , does it have a spanish menu, how much does it cost, he even turned it on and waited for it to acquire the satilites. I think that he wanted it.After that we headed south and for the first time were more severely inspected on the way down
that on the way back up. I guess that they are more keen on finding guns and other contraban heading into the country.There is a lot of road work in the way of improvements like widening the road., making emergency turn offs. There is also an area that seems to be some kind of
inspection area that will be used in the future. It is very wide and has lanes marked off similiar to the toll road booths.
Spent the night at Baja Cactus where we were offered the
very large upstairs room in the new section or a room in the
older section. Both rooms were very clean and had functional water etc. I always check before taking any room.
The condition of the road was for the most part freshly paved. WHere it was not it was in various active stages of being worked on. There were very few short sections that were bad or showed signs of neglect.
Upon arrival at Loreto, which has grown alot since my last trip I found that the city seems to be in love with the traffic circle. Stayed at the Santa Fe which looks to be a timeshare
that would not sell so it was converted to dual use Hotel/
time share? Nice new rooms with indivual controlled AC
kitchenette with coffee maker, Large refrigerator, blender
toaster, 2 burner electric hotplate range,and TV.
There is also a laundry mat on premisses next to a restaurnte. The hotel is as you come into town right next to the El Nido wherte you can buy your $25.00 STEAK.
The rooms go for around $60 a night for a single and a bit more for one with two beds.
As usual there was stiff enforcement at the marina for license and bioshere wrist band. Inspectrions of catch upon
your return to port.
The most unusual part of the trip was when we were stopped just outside of Manadero and were Inspected by
a Federal officer. He asked where we were coming from and what did we do. When we said fishing he motioned us off
the road for furher inspection. He asked for our fishing license and called in the numbers. The officer asked if they were ligitimate. We heard the person on the other radio say Yes. They were sold to a company in the USA whoe resells to fishermen. He then asked what
kind of fish did we catch. We said Dorado. He said I know that there is a limit on that. He asked how many days did we fish and we said two. He then called in for the bag limit for two days. After that he looked into our ice chest and was
satisfied that we were not over limit. He then said that he was sorry for all the troulble, but there has been a lot of abuse of the resources. He had just caught a semi with a load of Squid with out the proper documentation.
In short. Have all your paper work in order, and that includes insurance, though we were not asked for that or for passport/immigration papers.
Gaucho
Nomad

Mood: Bohemia por favor...

[*] posted on 7-12-2011 at 08:02 PM

Did you take any pictures?
krafty
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2011 at 08:14 PM

vacaenbaja, thanks for the report. Every bit of info helps, and as they say, knowledge is power. So be prepared! How was the weather, and did you have a great time?
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2011 at 08:20 PM

Could you tell us what you did in Loreto? How was the fishing?
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 7-13-2011 at 07:54 AM
pictures?

I second that request if you have any photos of the check in manedero that would be great. Sounds like harassament not on the fault of the inspector but his higher ups. They let illegally caught seafood and other stuff go through then do this to tourists to make it look like inspection is actually happening. Dog and pony show, bad form Mexico.
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2011 at 05:42 PM

I took no pictures of the reten. Nor would I if I had known in advance.
It makes these guys edgy. Not the thing I want when headed into inspection by them. The weather was EXTREEMLY HOT!! Had a good time as usual, were were on vacation and in BAJA! I quit taking pictures on my trips long ago. The only pictures that we took was when our airconditioner puley siezed and we had to mexicanic our serpintine belt back on using my spare alternator precariously mounted on one bolt to limp back to G Negro
for a very unique repair. That place stocks no parts that you need.
But they can take what you have left and bang grind and hammer it into something that will work.
The fishing was for Dorado. two fish per day limit. Almost every one got skunked the first day we arrived to check out the conditions. They said that the fish were in close the previous days and everyone had their limits by 10:30. When we fished it was rough making our limit the first day. Lots of
hits from bait stealing Bonito. The second day looked bad until our skipper
heard on the radio that there was lots of fish further out. He had to borrow
a tank of gas from a friend that was heading back in so that we would have enough gas for the return trip. When we reached the spot we qucikly
limited out and headed back in albeit late. Very hot out on the water You need plenty of SPF 70 a good hat longsleaved light colored cotton shirt and a Bimini top to keep from getting roasted alive! Also lots of cold H20.
Highly recommend that you slip a block of ice in the fish hold to keep that delicate Dorado cool and in good shape. Makes all the difference in the world when you cook it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.