dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 06:05 PM
toyota tacoma double cab vs f150 supercrew

so...if you had a choice of either truck, both 4x4
both about same miles (130K) and about the same price
(the F150 is a loaded King Ranch) the Toyota DC is a TRD off road

most travel to baja is Mex 5 to Gonzaga...may try BOLA and San Ignacio again with occasional runs down into a cove or beach ...12" tin boat on top

thanks Mike
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 06:49 PM

Ford=====First On Race Day.......let the bashing begin.

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzyspots

...12" tin boat on top

thanks Mike

is that boat a hood ornament?

sbwontoo
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 06:57 PM

seriously,
how are you going to carry that boat on top?
i am interested in rigging my toyota to haul a 12' tinny on top with a winch to load and unload.

sbwontoo
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 06:58 PM

They won't be the same price. The toyota will cost more, as they have a higher resale value.

You will get more truck for the money with a ford. I currently have three 97-03 f15o's, all with over 100k. I recently sold a 98 f150 with 200k. My favorite right now is my 2001 supercrew 2wd with a 5.4l and a 7.5" long travel prerunner suspension kit. I run 285/75/16 bfg km2's and run 90% offroad on washboard(eastcape). I live in baja fulltime and have run fords for 8 yrs. I also have a 4 runner with a 3.0l v6(5k on a new motor), but it gets damn near the same economy as the v8's, has no where near the power, space, payload or comfort as the fords.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 07:59 PM

i disagree with all of the above; TOYOTA all the way, no question, none.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 08:20 PM

Toyota >>>> Ford... No question, but i am biased.
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 08:38 PM

Hey Classic are you back under your previous name?

If all you're hauling is the tin boat and motor and other misc gear, the Toyota takes it hands down. Weight/ Fuel economy/ reliability/ size

FORD spells Fix Or Repair Daily

FORD backwards spells

Driver Returns On Foot

Honestly, both are good Baja rigs. I've been a Toyota guy for decades. I just bought 2 4Runners in the last 2 weeks. I just love em!

Cheers, Curt

No worries
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 09:16 PM

easy 12' tin boat on top...on the fj cruiser...arb rack w/ yakima bars...put the nose on the back bar...push it forward till it tilts down..tie it down and go to Baja no winch...just lift and tilt..
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2011 at 07:35 AM

Personally I would go with the Toyota. In the long run less problems. If it has the 3.4 V6 it's much better than the 3.0 V6, I've had both. If it's a new model with the 4.0 V6 even better and the truck is bigger, more of a mid-size.

Let me add that my 04 with the 3.4 V6 gets 21-22 MPG hwy. and my 07 4.0 V6 work truck got the same. And that's staying with the fast boys down the hwy.

[Edited on 7-19-2011 by TW]
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2011 at 09:01 AM

I agree with TW, I vote Toyota for the long run.

Both can be built for a good ride on Baja dirt roads so that's not an issue, but the Toyota will go and go and go...and go.

or best yet is a 12 valve Cummins dodge 5-wire w/o a computer and that is the ticket...:biggrin:

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2011 at 12:51 PM

Hey Bull what years did they make the 5-wire? And what does that mean?

yuletide
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-19-2011 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
so...if you had a choice of either truck, both 4x4
both about same miles (130K) and about the same price
(the F150 is a loaded King Ranch) the Toyota DC is a TRD off road

most travel to baja is Mex 5 to Gonzaga...may try BOLA and San Ignacio again with occasional runs down into a cove or beach ...12" tin boat on top

thanks Mike

Mike, they are different trucks... full size Ford vs. mid size Toyota. So, do you need a full size truck or will the Tacoma DC be enough for you?

If the smaller, shortbed truck with a 236 HP, 4.0 liter V-6 will meet your needs, then great!

The Tacoma 4WD Off Road TRD (2009 or later) has an amazing traction system if you are into off road exploring... called A-TRAC (Active Traction Control).

A-TRAC provides the traction very near what front and rear lockers provide, in 4WD- Lo... and it still has a rear locker, as well... In addition, the 4WD Toyotas all now have limited slip TRAC (Traction Control) on the front and rear in 4WD- Hi.

A-TRAC, the Rear Locker, and TRAC are all standard equpiment on the 4WD Off Road Tacoma.
I can't get mine stuck... and I have tried! :lol::light::cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2011 at 02:29 PM

David K...i am in middle of 4x4 withdrawal after we traded my wife's FJ Cruiser (with ALL those neat Toyota tools) for a MINI Clubman S (daily commuter and MPG's)..
1st trip to Gonzaga and San Ignacio in "08 was a bone stock FJ with highway tread Bridgestones...did 3 sisters and only used 4x4 once...never used 4 low...
so...I am familiar with the Toyota capabilities...not so with Ford...tough finding a 4x4 Taco..lots of pre runners...and although I can now do Gonzaga in 2wd...might like to hit some little coves and perhaps some of the missions...dont think prerunner and locker would make it???
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 7-19-2011 at 02:54 PM

Quote:
tough finding a 4x4 Taco..lots of pre runners...and although I can now do Gonzaga in 2wd...might like to hit some little coves and perhaps some of the missions...dont think prerunner and locker would make it???

Why is it hard to find a 4x4 Tacoma? Does this cause a run-up in prices for the TRD Tacomas?

If you had a 2WD with locker and flexible suspension, it would be a better go-fast vehicle on the dirt than going up this neat trail near Gonzaga Bay. For that, you really need a 4WD vehicle.

La Turquesa Canyon - connecting Gonzaga Bay with Hwy 1

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2011 at 04:17 PM

http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/2493055625.html
http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/2499562006.html
http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/2477474854.html
http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/2481023119.html

etc
bajatravelergeorge
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-19-2011 at 04:39 PM

Dizzyspots, it sounds like you will be doing mainly paved road traveling which makes the Ford the obvious choice. Anyone trying to tell you different is just has a bias to the Toyota.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2011 at 10:20 AM

Toyoto Tacoma 4x4's hard to find? Let me tell you about my experience.

Last year in April/May I started looking for a 4x4 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L, extended cab or regular cab, 5 spd manual trans, 1995 to 2002 with low mileage, and I could take or leave extras like pwr this and pwr that. Low mileage for a used 95 to 99 is 130,000 miles. Scoured the internet and the entire country for a month. There were only a handfull available to meet the above-mentioned criterion at any given point in time with wildly varying prices and conditions. Most were closer to the Mississippi, I live in Southern California. I even went to every used car dealership in Orange County, CA.

Finally found two, one in Phoenix AZ and the other in Tacoma WA. Flew to Phoenix and that one turned out to be a beat up dog. Flew from Phoenix to Tacoma WA and that one was a gem with 128,500 miles with A/C, radio and not much else extra (not even the sliding rear window), reg cab, oversized tires, manual trans, bench seat. $6,500 USD as is. Needed some work, spent $1,700 on a variety of repairs to bring it up to perfection.

Couldn't be happier with the purchase. It's a beautiful burgundy red, sits up high, smells and feels just like a brand new vehicle in every way. No squeaks of any kind. Towed my boat and trailer to La Paz and it was flawless, never dropped below 32 mph on the open road going up any hill.

I call the truck "Mighty Mouse". If a man could ever love a vehicle, I love that truck. I Can't stop looking at it as I walk away from it in a grocery store parking lot.

Before the Tacoma, I had a 1984 S10 4x4 Blazer 2.8L V6 that finally died at 300,000 miles. Served me quite well, extremely reliable, and when I fixed it for something, it stayed fixed, unlike any of the Volvo's or other foreign vehicles I had had up to the purchase of the Taco.

Side point, in 1995 when I was looking for a used 4x4 that culminated in getting the 4x4 blazer just mentioned, I couldn't find any Blazers locally either. However, the Jeep dealerships were loaded, just loaded with 100s of used jeeps on their lots, most of them with 60,000 miles.

[Edited on 7-20-2011 by MitchMan]

[Edited on 7-20-2011 by MitchMan]
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 7-20-2011 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Toyoto Tacoma 4x4's hard to find? Let me tell you about my experience.

Last year in April/May I started looking for a 4x4 Toyota Tacoma 4.7L, extended cab or regular cab, 5 spd manual trans, 1995 to 2002 with low mileage, and I could take or leave extras like pwr this and pwr that. Low mileage for a used 95 to 99 is 130,000 miles. Scoured the internet and the entire country for a month. There were only a handfull available to meet the above-mentioned criterion at any given point in time with wildly varying prices and conditions. Most were closer to the Mississippi, I live in Southern California. I even went to every used car dealership in Orange County, CA.

Finally found two, one in Phoenix AZ and the other in Tacoma WA. Flew to Phoenix and that one turned out to be a beat up dog. Flew from Phoenix to Tacoma WA and that one was a gem with 128,500 miles with A/C, radio and not much else extra (not even the sliding rear window), reg cab, oversized tires, manual trans, bench seat. $6,500 USD as is. Needed some work, spent $1,700 on a variety of repairs to bring it up to perfection.

Couldn't be happier with the purchase. It's a beautiful burgundy red, sits up high, smells and feels just like a brand new vehicle in every way. No squeaks of any kind. Towed my boat and trailer to La Paz and it was flawless, never dropped below 32 mph on the open road going up any hill.

I call the truck "Mighty Mouse". If a man could ever love a vehicle, I love that truck. I Can't stop looking at it as I walk away from it in a grocery store parking lot.

Before the Tacoma, I had a 1984 S10 4x4 Blazer 2.8L V6 that finally died at 300,000 miles. Served me quite well, extremely reliable, and when I fixed it for something, it stayed fixed, unlike any of the Volvo's or other foreign vehicles I had had up to the purchase of the Taco.

Side point, in 1995 when I was looking for a used 4x4 that culminated in getting the 4x4 blazer just mentioned, I couldn't find any Blazers locally either. However, the Jeep dealerships were loaded, just loaded with 100s of used jeeps on their lots, most of them with 60,000 miles.

Sounds like a nice truck,My story is almast the same only difference my truck is a Nissan, the little truck is short on comfort but long on endurance and the best part at the end of 5 years it will still be mine with having made o no payments. the last one i had I put 300 plus thou. miles and it was still running strong when I hit a patch of black ice and wrapped it around a pine tree.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2011 at 11:07 AM

Your V8 toy pu gets 32 mpg, really? I have never heard of mileage like that in any gas powered pu. That's one hell of a find.

Ken

[Edited on 7-20-2011 by tripledigitken]
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.