Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Driving down baja to fish
bajabird
Nomad

Mood: Always happy

[*] posted on 7-27-2011 at 02:50 PM
Driving down baja to fish

I'm taking an old friend, a sturdy offroad 4x4 some beach gear and panga gear.

We will be leaving in a week for a 1 week south only trip to Loreto.

Where are the fun places to stop and fish along the way.

San Quintin I thought about staying our first night south there,
and fishing from a panga......
Who should we use?

Where's good to go from there?

One stop for sure is Ascuncion Bay with a night there
Where to stay? Beach fishing only???
If not, who to use?
Where to stay? (Sheri's) info?

Next stop from there...... ? I don't know, any suggestions? Should we continue down the beach route?

Thank you for any suggestions
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 7-27-2011 at 03:33 PM

If you are taking a week to get to Loreto, those are 2 great stops. That would be a good leisurely pace to get to know those two towns and relax. You could make maybe 1 more stop. If fishing is your thing, those are 2 great spots.

I would possibly add the beautiful, amazing, fantastic drive from Asuncion to La Bocana and stay a night and fish with Les and Blanca at their wonderful B&B in La Bocana. I loved it!

[Edited on 7-27-2011 by Curt63]

No worries
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2011 at 04:40 PM

Sure, stop and see Shari, she has a great campground and the Halibut are doing really well right now from shore. Lots to see and do in Asuncion. Then, since it is cooler and you are no stranger to 4 x 4, head to La Bocana and look up Les and Blanca. Be sure you schedule a dinner at Bocana Cactus and let Juaquin work his magic for you. If you want to fish Juanchy or Antonio are the guys, but Blanca can help you with all of that. Then head into Abreojos and you can stay on that side all the way to Scorpion bay if you want and then head over the top to Loreto, or you can come out at Abreojos, hit the highway and come through Santa Rosalia. It is really hot on our side right now but if you chicken out on the camping, you can always opt for a nice Air Conditioned room.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2011 at 05:22 PM

Both coops at Punta Abreojos and La Bocana now rent Pangas for ocean fishing.

Dates are helpful. Fishing Torneo in Abreojos is Sep 14. I don't remember when the La Bocana one is but it is coming up as well.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2011 at 07:21 PM

if you are only going for one week i would recomend going straight to loreto and fishing(you never now and may stay the whole time) and then if things arnt going the way you want make the trip north. every time we go to our place at BOLA we swear to hit a few places on the way back and we have such a great time we run out of time. one week down is so short it will fly by before you now it!!!
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 7-27-2011 at 07:30 PM

If you stop at San Quintin I always recommend my good friend Manuel at Meņos Pangas. Afterwards you can eat dinner at the dock at the very nice and newly remodeled Molino Viejo and stay the night at Jardines.

A winning combination...

[Edited on 7-28-2011 by BajaGringo]

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2011 at 08:56 PM

come and see us for sure .... go and see shari for sure ... and you must stop by bahia concepcion on the way south ....

remember your passport so you can get home
remember to get your FMM or toursit visa at the TJ border (stay in rt lane)
remember your fishing license (Discover Baja has it online)

and if you stop in G Negro, get your bracelets for each day you will fish at Mario's restaurant (huge palapa restaurant rt before you hit G Negro
or if you go straight to asuncion, shari has them.

our email for reservations: bajabocana@gmail.com or
011 52 615 156-0056 (from U.S.)

On your way south, you might want to take a short side trip to san ignacio. see the mission and oasis and the park and maybe visit the museum called casa leree (first guesthouse ever in the area)

you also might want to cruise by santa rosalia - bustling french colonial style town. ATM. eiffel designed church.

Mulege is a good stop for meals. and the beaches south of it (concepcion bay etc) are some of the most beautiful in the world.

Of course, if you are not into history/architecture - skip the above :lol:

whether we meet you headed north or south, stop by !! either way: YOU MUST GAS UP IN EITHER VIZCAINO COMING SOUTH OR SAN IGNACIO COMING BACK if you are coming to la bocana.

[Edited on 7-28-2011 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2011 at 09:04 PM

SHARI CONTACT INFO:

WWW.BAHIAASUNCION.COM

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2011 at 10:04 PM

I was told that if you go down often it is a better value to by the annual "passport which is good at ALL the Biosphere
locations on the peninsula. I believe that cost was something like 200 pesos while a daily is 20 pesos.
Can anyone confirm this?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-28-2011 at 06:39 AM

looks like the warm water is coming. thanks Dora!

http://www.terrafin.com/sstview/showFreeChart.php?ct=free&am...

bajabird
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2011 at 07:27 AM

Curt63: Thank you, I have contact Les, and that will be a stop.

Pescador: How is the fishing at San Juanico? I may be trailering a car behind the 4x4, leaving it
when we want to go offroading, then return for it. Will that work out on the plan of:
Asuncion to Bocana to Abreojos?

rts551: Our plan is to be in San Quintin August 7 or 8.

4baja: I have a home in Loreto and am there every few weeks. This trip we are going to
do the different thing and go to other places.

BajaGringo: Is the food better than El Faro? If so, is Molino Viejo? Near Old Mill and Eddies?
How do I get info on Menos?

BajaBianca: Thank you for the great advise on papers.... Always important, along with fishing licenses. Thank you for the tourist info too..... been driving down since 1979, and your info will help others too. And the gas in Vizcaino: My advise is only the station at the west end!!!
Thank you for Sheri's info... I will send an email. I have fished off the beach there before. A fish most every cast.

vacaenbaja: Huh????

Advise on tackle? Line test, hooks, sinkers, lures?
I plan on spinning rod with 15 lb test, boat rod with 30 on TLD 20

Thanks for the advise

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2011 at 10:30 AM

might I recommend a stop at puerto nuevo ? it is one hour north of asuncion, VERY remote, small, very easy to get to and just amazing. 200 pesos gets you a cabin with a double and a single bed. they have a spring water pool to cool off in and there is a fish camp, so you can probably fish there too ... no electricity so you can gaze at zillions of stars at night. you must take ALL provisions as there are NO stores ... Les has been 3 times and I once ....

and a friend who went last week sent this photo today:

and for more pictures:

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/ab45/BajaBlanca/Puerto%20...

and the contact for reservations is:
MERCEDES 011 52 615 158-0262
espanol solamente or only spanish spoken

[Edited on 7-28-2011 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

bajabird
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2011 at 10:39 AM

Looks like another spot to possibly visit. Thank you

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2011 at 10:49 AM

This is the trip report from ur visit there:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=53961#pid6353...

Come visit La Bocana

vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2011 at 11:02 AM

Bajabird,
I was refering to BajaBlancas comment on the "bracelets" that are required if you are fishing in "biosphere" designated waters. They were Checked for and required in Loreto.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-28-2011 at 12:26 PM

Hi Bird!!! we just got back to town from some time in San Roque so I just saw this thread. We look forward to having you here with us.

About the biosphere reserve permits...you only need them for panga/kayak fishing and yes, the passports are somewhere around 240 pesos for a year and are good at any reserve in the whole country and a bargain...they are "supposed" to be available at the REBIVI office in Guerrero Negro...or I think BOLA office might have them too...I tried to call GN but they arent answering the phone...maybe later....every time I try to get a passport for someone they say they are coming in on the next bus...uh huh.

we have bracelet...day passes here for our clients.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajabird
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2011 at 12:39 PM

I'm inmigrado, and don't need a parque band in Loreto. I would suppose it's the same at other parques. Yes - No??

bajabird
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2011 at 12:41 PM

If they are the same parque passes as in loreto, i can have my friend who is flying up tomorrow bring some with him for you. Not sure what they cost. I bought 200.00 peso worth a year ago, just for guest to have.
My friend who is coming with me on the drive back south trip is also inmigrado.

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2011 at 01:20 PM

Do you need a "bracelet" for fishing in and around La Paz, Bahia de los Muertos? Never heard of this requirement before now.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-28-2011 at 03:00 PM

to be exempt from the biosphere reserve permit, you must reside in the area where you will be fishing...for example, if your fm2 or 3 says you are from Asuncion, then you dont need the permit in Asuncion...but even mexicanos who dont live in the area need the reserva permisos (bracelets) which are 50 pesos a day.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.