Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: The Mexican-American Boom: Births Overtake Immigration
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 05:00 PM
The Mexican-American Boom: Births Overtake Immigration

This link also makes available a huge amount of statistical information about being Mexican in America. The folks advocating a "Berlin Wall" between our countries would seem to have been flanked, so to speak.

http://pewhispanic.org/reports/report.php?ReportID=144

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 05:28 PM

Just seems to me that given the history of Mexico and the US, the combination of Mexican Pride and US Xenophobia combine to create a perfect storm that divides us.

Maybe I'm alone in this feeling. But, I really feel like the US and Mexico are more alike than different. I always looked forward to the day when Mexico and the Us were the same nation.

Maybe some of that feeling is simply because I spent the majority of my adult life living in the Southwest US, where Mexican culture abounded.

Unfortunately, current economic and political conditions appear to combine to drive the US and Mexico farther apart.

It pains me no end to see the walls and fortresses being erected on the US MX border, especially since there's nothing close to that on the US/ Canadian border. Is that because Canadians speak English? And they have a higher standard of living? And, they are, given current standards, white?

Lotsa folks are probably not aware of the fact that Canadians are second on the list of undocumented illegals in the US. Where's the outrage over that?

It makes me sick.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 08:18 PM

I always tell people:

What would you prefer? mexican immigrants, or muslim imigrants like in europe?

The fact is, the US needs immigrants, and in my humble opinion, they have ones that are christian, hard working, and dont complain much. They dont value those facts.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
The fact is, the US needs immigrants, and in my humble opinion, they have ones that are christian, hard working, and dont complain much. They dont value those facts.

Maybe it's the trash that follows the hard workers over the line that gives them a bad name.
I, for one, do not appreciate that. Never will.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Maybe it's the trash that follows the hard workers over the line that gives them a bad name.

What "trash" are you referring to?

drarroyo
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 09:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

you know, like the trash that ends up going SOB!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 09:12 PM

Quote:

Mexico's human garbage that crosses the border to slither into gangs and live on the edge of civilized humanity. Mara Salvatrucha trash and La Eme scum.
That's who I effing mean.
That you would ask is only another example of Mexico's selective blindness.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 09:32 PM

Quote:

We live in an agricultural area.
Checking the local paper;
60% of the birth anouncements are Mexican.
40% of the school kids are Mexican and half of them can't speak english.
Most of their parents speak no english; many are illegal.
Used to be 50% of the crime stats were Mexicans - lately it's 80%+.
Most get free health care and services from the WA gov.
The only 3 rapes in our area the past years were by Mexicans.
ALL of the meth dealers are Mexican.
Just saying ...... the situation is far from ideal.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Quote:
They dont value those facts.

... the situation is far from ideal.

In spite of all that, "we" are still the problem in Jesse's eyes.

[I use "Jesse" as a generic name for Mexico]
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 09:48 PM

Quote:
I always tell people:

What would you prefer? mexican immigrants, or muslim imigrants like in europe?

The issue is not so much where the immigrants come from, but rather the legality of their arrival. Will you think of me as a racist for that opinion?

Point of fact, my mother was a legal immigrant that came to this country, christian, hard working, and never complained. She never looked back to where she came from and loved this country.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
"This link also makes available a huge amount of statistical information about being Mexican in America. The folks advocating a "Berlin Wall" between our countries would seem to have been flanked, so to speak."

The "Berlin Wall" between our countries?? Oh didn`t you know? The Berlin Wall was to keep people IN East Berlin!! Our border is to keep people from the north, south, east and west from entering our country illegally! How can anyone compare the Berlin Wall to our borders?

[Edited on 8-7-2011 by BornFisher]
alofrisco
Banned

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 11:34 PM

Quote:
The fact is, the US needs immigrants...

The number of unemployed persons in the US is 13.9 million and the unemployment rate is 9.1% in July. There are anonther 8.4 million who are employed only part time because their hours were cut back or are unable to find full time work. The internal growth in the US labor force -- not counting immigration -- is about 100,000 people per month. So the US has to create 100,000 new jobs each month just to hold the unemployment rate at 9.1% and keep those other 8.4 million people only partially employed.

So I would have to ask you straight up: Why does the US need immigrants? What will they do? How will the US benefit from an increase in the untrained labor supply?
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 01:08 AM

Half Moon Bay is a town with a population of about 12,000 people. We're too small to have a hospital. Our only medical facility was a clinic which provided for the community.

We have a sizeable population of illegal immigrants who work the fields and nurseries on the coast. They were uninsured but the clinic felt morally obligated to provide them service and did, free of charge or at greatly reduced fees. 25% of the patients were treated free of charge with money that just wasn't there.

The clinic operated in the red for several years as several private donors tried to keep the it afloat. Finally in 2009 the clinic declared bankrupcy and abruptly closed it's doors to all former patients. We now have to travel to the large cities 'over the hill' for common cold visits or general checkups. I don't know how the illegals are coping.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-03-27/bay-area/17215110_1_nonprofit-clinic-medical-clinic-half-moon-bay

Our story is a microcosm of what's happening to the entire state of california. It's sinking and there is no way to right the ship. Mexican-Americans are now the largest block of voters in California and they have little interest in curbing illegal immigration. Because many are the descendants of illegal immigrants.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 09:48 AM

The goverment will do nothing to solve the Imigrant policy sooooooo it looks like the Mexican People are,having lived on the border primarly Texas and California most all of my life as far back as 30years you could see the Mexican influnce in the Vote. the local goverments began to change to predominate Mexican . Like Pappy said they are going to take it back without fireing a shot.:bounce::bounce:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 10:54 AM

If all of the illegals and their children went home ..........

The US taxpayer burden on schools, clinics, hospitals, legal system, prisons and enforcement would all be decreased by a much more significant amount than the taxes lost by their leaving.

Farm and industrial labor-requiring industries will hire legal citizens and/or increase efficiency through machinery and other means as has led to our successes in the past.

Although the housing market would take an additional hit in the low-income sector, the increase in employment among the remaining citizens would help reduce this effect.

The strains on our clinics, hospitals, jails, schools, etc would be reduced to the point that budgets could be established at current or reduced funding levels with improved services for the remaining citizens.

But this of course, is all just fantasy as our gov will never seal our borders, send home the majority of illegals or stop existing illegals from procreating in the US and thereby obtaining citizenship.

Our future will be speaking spanish - it seems inevitable.

?? Hola Amigo ??

[Edited on 8-7-2011 by Diver]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
If all of the illegals and their children went home ..........

[Edited on 8-7-2011 by Diver]

Not arguing with what you said but keep in mind there are 312 million people in the US and an estimated 12 million illegals.

That's a bit less than 4% illegal, a bit more than 96% legal. Granted illegals use a disproportionate amount of social services because they are disproportionately poor, but it seems to me that the negative economic impact is frequently exaggerated.

I think things would be much the same in the vast majority of the US if all the illegals left.
drarroyo
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
I think things would be much the same in the vast majority of the US if all the illegals left.

How DARE you enter this board spouting reason.
This will be a great day to be a shareholder in Depends!! (and Pacifico re our favorite psycotic lush!) :lol:
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Just seems to me that given the history of Mexico and the US, the combination of Mexican Pride and US Xenophobia combine to create a perfect storm that divides us.

Maybe I'm alone in this feeling. But, I really feel like the US and Mexico are more alike than different. I always looked forward to the day when Mexico and the Us were the same nation.

Maybe some of that feeling is simply because I spent the majority of my adult life living in the Southwest US, where Mexican culture abounded.

Unfortunately, current economic and political conditions appear to combine to drive the US and Mexico farther apart.

It pains me no end to see the walls and fortresses being erected on the US MX border, especially since there's nothing close to that on the US/ Canadian border. Is that because Canadians speak English? And they have a higher standard of living? And, they are, given current standards, white?

Lotsa folks are probably not aware of the fact that Canadians are second on the list of undocumented illegals in the US. Where's the outrage over that?

It makes me sick.

Wow really nice post Bajahowodd.

Yeah, it's all about "xenophobia" why Mexicans are treated like an ugly step-child compared to the English speaking white-skinned Canadian. Even Mexicans trucks are discriminated against compared to Canadian trucks and Canadian truck drivers that have been able to drive anywhere in the USA for years.

But it really doesn't matter what the xenophobes nativists think because Mexicans are going to soon be the majority in California and then later in other southwest states, another interesting statistic is children registered in school. Latino children lead by a wide margin, and those children all speak English, and if not US citizens will be.

Some comments on a few xenophobic posts in this thread. BTW whenever you get a threat like this. Xenophobia always rears it's ugly head. You would think because this is a Baja Forum, and we have many 'expats" here that there would be more respect for Mexico, Mexicans, and Mexican immigration, but sadly that's not always the case.
_________

Jesse what's wrong Muslims immigrating to the US? Jesse seems to say, "don't hate Mexicans, but it's OK to hate Muslims." That's just so wrong when the majority of Muslims are peace-loving people.

Dennis points fingers at the so-called human garbage( Mexicans) that crosses the border, and wrongly points to the deadly street gang, " Mara Salvatrucha" is a Salvadoran gang, although they do reach out to other ethic heritages now.

What about all the human garbage from the US that always wants to hide out in Mexico after committing crimes in the US. They should ban movies like "Thelma and Louise" and other movies whose theme/goal is to escape to Mexico, because that's the real life criminals goal too. At least Mexico doesn't have the racist groups like the KKK, neo-N-zis skinheads, Minutemen, and the endless list of white nationalist Americans who dream of an all white country.

Diver nice wet dream but Mexican immigrants, and undocumented Mexican immigrants aren't going home. Once the US economy picks up all kinds of immigration will pick up. Besides immigration, any kind of immigration has always been a net plus for America.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeJustJoe
Dennis points fingers at the so-called human garbage( Mexicans) that crosses the border, and wrongly points to the deadly street gang, " Mara Salvatrucha" is a Salvadoran gang, although they do reach out to other ethic heritages now.

The Salvadoran heritage of these scumballs is no more than a part of history. They recruit soldiers and the largest pool of available trash happens to be Mexican....and you know that.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Half Moon Bay is a town with a population of about 12,000 people. We're too small to have a hospital. Our only medical facility was a clinic which provided for the community.

We have a sizeable population of illegal immigrants who work the fields and nurseries on the coast. They were uninsured but the clinic felt morally obligated to provide them service and did, free of charge or at greatly reduced fees. 25% of the patients were treated free of charge with money that just wasn't there.

The clinic operated in the red for several years as several private donors tried to keep the it afloat. Finally in 2009 the clinic declared bankrupcy and abruptly closed it's doors to all former patients. We now have to travel to the large cities 'over the hill' for common cold visits or general checkups. I don't know how the illegals are coping.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-03-27/bay-area/17215110_1_nonprofit-clinic-medical-clinic-half-moon-bay

Our story is a microcosm of what's happening to the entire state of california. It's sinking and there is no way to right the ship. Mexican-Americans are now the largest block of voters in California and they have little interest in curbing illegal immigration. Because many are the descendants of illegal immigrants.

Thanks... skipjack...I prefer "real time" reporting of what is really happening in communities that someone "lives" in..

As most, I have friends in different places in the United States and many other countries.. and find their thinking and experiences a far better "yard stick" to use on what's going on

Thanks agin for the insight in your location... it all helps...:):)

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.