BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: My wife caught the biggest Trigger I have ever seen!
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2011 at 09:58 AM
My wife caught the biggest Trigger I have ever seen!

I thought I would copy this over here in the fishy department...for those of you that don't read the other BN topics.

paranewbi

posted on 8-11-2011 at 11:17 AM

Mcfez; YES! we did the salted bait thing before we left for Gonzaga last may...My wife caught the biggest Trigger I have ever seen! She fought that thing for a half hour and told me she was ready to give up. I asked her what was she going to do, throw her pole in the water? 10 min. later she brought the pole around to me where I was able to grab her line (double kayak) and get a gaff in it...the thing was so big the open clasp on my steel fish chain was not big enough to reach out of the gill and lock (sorry we're not the best fishermen/women if this sounds off). I had a mother of a time getting a hole poked through it's armor like flesh nearer its mouth to get that chain clasp through (clasp is like 3 inches long). Ladies at Papafernandez cooked it up for us. Story is, we never went 10 minutes without a bite on that bait of yours!

mcfez
Elite Nomad
posted on 4-12-2011 at 02:01 PM
Best bait you'll ever use!

From a post I did last year. Good luck with you and your rod :-)

Here's the secret

Best fish to use in this order:
Spanish mackerel
Sand Crab
Mussel
Claim
Shrimp

Start with a box of kosher salt. Do not use iodized salt. Select a container with a flat bottom suitable for the size bait you want to cure.....Mayonnaise jar works great too BTW. Place twice the thickness of salt in the bottom as the thickness of the bait to be cured. If your bait is 1 inch thick, put 2 inches of salt in the bottom. Place the bait on the salt followed by another layer of salt over it the same depth as the starting layer. DONT GO CHEAP ON THE SALT! You can continue building layers a bait and salt until all the bait is covered in salt. Do not seal the container. If you want to cover it just place a towel over the top. It needs to be exposed to the air to dry out. Seal before you go on your vacation...it be fine by then. Unseal when vacation is over.

Small pieces of shrimp can cure in a day or so. Whole fish can take several weeks. It all depends on how much of the raw meat is exposed to the salt. All the moisture has to be drawn out of the bait by the salt before it will be cured. That’s why a whole fish can take so much longer.

The bait stays on the hook....really nicely. It almost tough to get on the hook in matter of fact :-) Less bait being stolen......if any!

It's a knock out - got you boy - yahoooooo bait!

A true story:
Learned this bait trick, down in Point Mugu , Santa Monica Mountains ocean side, in the late 70's. Old man Murf was living in a beat up station wagon...living off his catch and I assumed pension money. He was on the road for a long time...Point Mugu he was there for several years. We saw him every week end. Just a Irish of a guy. Lonely. Shaved needed. Wash clothes needed. I caution my first born about him.

He taught me how to surf fish...and boy did he! I never seen Surf Perch so big....Buttermouths....oh Gods! Without this bait...I caught zip. With it....whoa.

Old man Murf would fry the fish on his green camp stove...placed on the tailgate. Cooked to perfection! One night there as he was cooking, I asked him just what did he do for a living...he looked at me with a embarrassing smile and said "I was the VP of Firestone! Yes...it was true for I checked it out.

Anyhow...enjoy the bait secret. Older it gets ....the better. Keep reading the fishing post here...I am bout ready to drop a secret fishing hole location that will blow your socks off :-) The big ones....

Trigger Fishing:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=48739#pid5613...

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 8-11-2011 at 10:03 AM

So, where's the picture?

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2011 at 06:13 PM

No picture no believe you, pix, pix pix. NOW!! Draw it by hand if necessary.
scouter
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2011 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
No picture no believe you, pix, pix pix. NOW!! Draw it by hand if necessary.

x2
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2011 at 07:14 PM

No photo no good.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2011 at 07:27 PM

No pics = No credibility

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2011 at 07:42 PM

I`d love a pic too, the bait sounds great, but what i really love, is the story of Murf!! Hope it wasn`t Murf the Surf--- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Roland_Murphy

No really I remember you posting this story, and thinking "this guy is a true fisherman". Could afford the best, but prefers the challenge of the fish in the surf line!
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 8-15-2011 at 08:49 AM

I see the guys down here are on to you, never have seen a pic of anything resembling a fish from you?

On the beach or boat whatever,I,m sure you must have some great fishin storys to tell, the guys would love to have you share a few with us.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-15-2011 at 09:22 AM

Here's a picture of my last one that got away: :lol::lol:

[Edited on 8-15-2011 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2011 at 11:48 AM

Mine was much bigger! :tumble::spingrin:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2011 at 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
I see the guys down here are on to you, never have seen a pic of anything resembling a fish from you?

On the beach or boat whatever,I,m sure you must have some great fishin storys to tell, the guys would love to have you share a few with us.
Rob

You referring to paranewbi or me?

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2011 at 05:47 PM

Not the newbie,a old hand like yourself must have some great baja fishin storys and some pics to share with us.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2011 at 05:53 AM

OMG! I would not want to be the one to cause questions of McFez’s credibility! Can you imagine if transiting San Felipe on the way to a good time he should find out we are the ones to cause such grief and we disappear into the sands of the Bahia Gonzaga trail?

I do have pictures but I lack the direction to post them…and I have read of some need to access another site, then lower the size, then drink something to relieve the stress as my photos are questioned for quality, camera type, use of photo enhancing programs, pixel recommendations, and how come my wife still has her top on in all of the photos.

Ok, I will wait for David K to refer me to multiple past postings on photo reproduction and posting techniques accompanied with a history of the exact point of acquisition of the aforementioned fish fight. With all of this as being baptized into the waters of the Bajanomad posting family! I love it all and please read this with the intention that all of this is said with tongue in cheek. I hope to post pictures of our traveling vehicle and kayak, as you will never miss us from 5 miles away! Also I know that living in San Diego, David K has probably seen us around…when the photos make it on, he will know why!

McFez rules! David K rules! Thanks to all the rest of you for the great reading over the years!
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2011 at 07:36 AM

No pics no problem:lol: a fishin newbie is sometimes greeted in this way

A fisherman worth his salt should be granted a inch or two and a pound or two exaggeration from time to time.

Its Mcfez who,s credibility I question.
Rob

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-17-2011 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
So, where's the picture?

Anyone remember Doug Moss? He would never post a picture of his fish either but some of his friends had hia last one mounted for this shot:

Bob Durrell
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2011 at 09:14 AM

I have a few friends who signed apacduring a few beers one nite to do a similar thing maybe a pic or something:lol:funny what you talk about after a few.
Rob

[Edited on 8-17-2011 by baitcast]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2011 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
I do have pictures but I lack the direction to post them…and I have read of some need to access another site, then lower the size, then drink something to relieve the stress as my photos are questioned for quality, camera type, use of photo enhancing programs, pixel recommendations, and how come my wife still has her top on in all of the photos.

Ok, I will wait for David K

Compliments of David:

HOW TO POST YOUR PHOTO ON NOMAD

A photo that is in your computer file can be displayed on Nomad pages in certain forums where it is allowed...

The photo's file size must be BELOW 50 kbs to post here. Open your photo file ('My Pictures' or ?) find the photo you want to share and move your mouse arrow onto the photo thumbnail... a pop up will tell you how big it is in kbs or mbs (1000 kb=1 mb).

TO POST A PHOTO:

Simply click the button labled 'Browse' just below where you type a message, and your pc will pop up a window of your photo files... simply click on the photo you wish to post (if it is under 50 kbs). The post must have a subject or some text with the photo to post.

IF your photo is over 50 kbs, then here is one method to reduce the size, and make it a duplicate (so the original full size photo is preserved). I thank Neal Johns for showing me.

(If the photo you want to post is already on another web site, then you may 'hot link' it to Nomad, and the size doesn't matter... unless it isn't too big and distorts the screen. Hot linking will be described below.)

PHOTOS IN YOUR PC OVER 50 KB, click on each step:

If 'paint' isn't on your deck top, do this (click on):

a) Start

b) All Programs

c) Accesories
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Paint (start here if 'paint' is on your desk top)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) File

3) Open...

3a) then click on the photo to get reduced (double click).

4) Image

5) Stretch/Skew... then change the % down from 100 in both boxes in sketch to a lesser number.... (if over 700 kb try 25%, if 400 kb try 35%, if 120 kb try 70%, if 60 kb try 90%)

Continue to Click on:

6) OK

7) File

8) Save As

8a) now type in a new name for the reduced photo or add -r to it to indicate it is the 'reduced' one... this is a copy so you don't mess with the original.

9) Save

THAT'S IT!

Now, click on file and open again, move your mouse arrow over the reduced photo and see if it is between 25 and 50 kb.

When you move the mouse over the reduced photo in the files, the kb size will show and let you know if you didn't get it low enough, or too low! In either case, repeat the steps above... working with the original, large photo.

After you do a couple it gets pretty easy.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2011 at 10:02 AM

Should be smooth sailing from here on out guy,congrats
Rob

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2011 at 11:44 AM

Thanks Dennis!

Ok, I'm goin' in
You guys wait out here
This might not be so pretty
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2011 at 03:42 PM

WOW! if this works you guys are gonna be sorry!

Remember I said the biggest Trigger 'I' had ever seen...my experiance with them have been with a sling spear off an inside reef at KM83 out from San Jose on the cape while camping...

We used the shrimp with McFez's bait recipe by putting a good amount of Kosher salt over the surface of a paper plate. Then taking the deshelled small shrimp and laying them out in the salt. Then covering them with plenty of more salt and finally putting another paper plate over for a top and stapleing the crap out of it around the edges.

Left that sitting in the garage for 2 weeks before the trip and at about that time the stink was tolerable! Before we left I put the shrimp in a large plastic ziplock for transport on the kayak while fishing.

We brought some fresh shrimp and gave the plan a test by alternating fresh and then salted...no contest, the McFez recipe killed that competition. He could package and sell this stuff if he hadn't given the recipe away...just like his beer I hear.

Trigger Fish Catch nomad.JPG - 34kB
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.