BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Used motor oil disposal, los Cabos area?
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 9-5-2011 at 10:34 AM
Used motor oil disposal, los Cabos area?

I used to give my used motor oil to a guy that made concrete blocks...but he closed up shop. Is there any place in the Los Cabos area that recieves/recycles used motor oil? Yeah, I know...wishful thinking. But I figured I'd ask.
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 9-5-2011 at 11:35 AM

Try Autozone!

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-6-2011 at 10:51 AM

Maybe the truckers would want it to burn in their big diesels. The old diesels, anyway--the newer ones may not like it.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2011 at 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
I used to give my used motor oil to a guy that made concrete blocks...but he closed up shop.

That can't be an environmentally friendly way to dispose of oil, or is it? Please explain what he did with the oil.

Ken
standingwave
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2011 at 03:04 PM

I took mine to an oil change business just north of San Jose del Cabo, at the turn off to the east cape via Palo Escopeta.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

That can't be an environmentally friendly way to dispose of oil, or is it? Please explain what he did with the oil.

Ken

Never actually watched the process...but I believe they soaked the inside of wooden forms with the oil. Get the block out easier I assume.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by standingwave
I took mine to an oil change business just north of San Jose del Cabo, at the turn off to the east cape via Palo Escopeta.

I wonder what they do with it?
standingwave
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
Quote:
Originally posted by standingwave

I wonder what they do with it?

Recycle it, and sell it back to the consumer, is my guess. The internal combustion engines of los Cabos must be generating millions of litres of used engine oil every month. :( That amount of oil, once it is recycled, re-refined, is worth big bucks. I bet there are many places that actively collect used oil and are quite happy to take any given amount. My personal experience certainly didn't indicate the contrary.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 11:15 PM

Way back when, you used to be able to buy recycled oil for automobile use. Maybe you still can.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 9-8-2011 at 01:55 PM

When I was still running my big over the road truck I poured the used oil in the diesel tank and burned it with the diesel. A lot of big companys with a bunch of trucks do the same.
Peloncito
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 09:22 PM

This may not be what environmentalists want to hear, but I saw one of the locals in my area pouring his used oil in a small trough around his septic tank. Curiosity got the best of me so I asked. He told me he has been doing it for years as it keeps the roots of trees and larger bushes from growing into the walls of his septic tank. He said the oil makes the roots grow in directions away from the soaked earth. I guess this application for the oil is local knowledge and one I would not participate in but hey, the ground is where it came from to begin with......

Please do not take this as condoning his actions, but I am not one to try and change the habits of people in a country where I am only a part time resident. I am just thankful they welcome here.

[Edited on 11-16-2011 by Peloncito]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.