BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Panga Picture Thread: Please Post!
jakecard
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 02:09 PM
Panga Picture Thread: Please Post!

Although I am buying the panga pictured below I have absolutely no idea what I am getting myself into as a first-time boat owner hoping to eventually learn how to fish and navigate both sides of Baja, in calm waters with a buddy of course. So I thought I would start a thread where everyone could post their experiences with and photos of pangas in Baja to help expedite my learning curve?

All comments and photos are welcome!

Please critique the boat I have posted below and make any suggestions you have on how best to optimize both this panga's interior layout and its performance on the water while keeping my novice status in mind.

Above all, though, please share any photos you have of pangas, any pangas. The more photos I can see the more ideas I can get about how other folks rig their pangas for success. Or if you don't have any photos to post but instead have lots of experience fishing in pangas, by all means please share that information too. It all helps!

Many thanks,

Jake

22' ("Paceno") Panga Built in La Paz in 1977:

Mengano
Banned

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 02:30 PM

What time is blast off...er launch?

:o
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 02:41 PM

I think you should think about getting it into a fiberglass shop ist to reinforce all the areas that need it, is the floor soft to walk on?

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
jakecard
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 02:43 PM

That situation is a mess. I want to isolate the battery and fuel cell(s) to separate compartments.

Given the layout, where would you elect to mount two batteries and perhaps a single 25-gallon fuel cell, Mengano?

Jake
jakecard
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 02:54 PM

I haven't taken possession of the boat yet, Comitan. Just canvassing suggestions first because I am so clueless.

At 34-years-old I just took it for granted that the boat will definitely need some fiberglass repair. How much is the question.

I figure that if I am going to own a fiberglass boat then I better learn how to make repairs. No time like the present, eh?

Jake
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 03:08 PM

Jake; I am amazed that looks very much like my old Panga the Patricia that I had built by mac Schoyer in La paz in 1976. I operated it with a 55 Homelite then went to a 70 Evinrude. Everything on my boat was the same as your Photo. I sold my boat about 10 years ago to a guy in Loreto.
Operated it for 27 years;
You do not have to worry about it on the waters of the Sea of Cortez or the pacific, it is designed amd does a good job of bringing 2,000 Lbs of Fish through the pacific Surf or handling 11 Foot waves from a Whip Storm in the Cortez.

I have been in some tough weather several times out of Loreto and found that that Panga can handle anything that comes its way. i will take it over any other boat
built.

I could not see from the Photo but does it have Stringers in the bottom up Front. If it does it is a 1976 are later Schoyer Built Panga.The Panga was built thin but STRONG,

I am amazed as it sure looks like my old Panga!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 03:08 PM

Jake

The biggest problem with that boat was they used wood stringers, you can tell how bad it is by how spongy it is to walk on. If you are getting the boat cheap (under 5K) Just make it comfortable for you and use it. If you are in the La Paz area there are people that can make it good.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
jakecard
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 03:27 PM

Skeet, the guy I am buying the boat from claims to be the original owner. He says he paid to fish on a panga just like this in La Paz in 1976, then immediately ordered one for himself and picked it up in 1977.

Comitan, I am looking at this boat as a "project." I paid 1K for it.

Jake
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 03:34 PM

I've owned a few boats as I'm sure many nomads have and now own an aluminum boat built in 1963 with a 1968 Merc. Just finished fixing it up. I spent twice as much fixing it as I paid for it. Still got away cheap.

You have a boat, motor, and trailer. All three need maintenance. Make sure your trailer is up to the task. I replaced the trailer's wheel bearings and grease seals, bought new leaf springs, put larger wheels and tires on it, redid the bunks the boat rests on and installed new winch cable. I also moved the axle back about 6 inches and moved the boat forward on the trailer about 6 inches. There was zero tongue weight when I bought it and the trailer fishtailed.

For the motor make sure the water pump is good, the lower end oil is changed, and the gears all shift as they should. I had the fuel pumps rebuilt, carbs rebuilt, new points, new plugs, new plug wires, and all the other wires replaced. You also need to check your steering mechanism.

My boat is in good shape. I just took off all the crap various owners had screwed onto the deck, rebuilt the seats, and painted it.

Make sure you're prepared for the motor to quit in the worse situation.

Those gas tanks look pretty old. Clean them out.

Good luck!! Boats are fun, and there's nothing like early morning glass at full power.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 03:37 PM

SFandH

Good advise!

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 04:08 PM

It is amazing the abuse the Panga will take , pulling it up on the rocky beaches and Pounding against the Waves Hour after Hour.

The Mexicano Panga owners where complaining about the Soft Bottom up front so I told Mac Schoyer about it and he put Fiberglass covered Stringers in my Panga. You could sure tell the difference. I would take it to one of the old timers in La Paz or :Loreto or Constitution and have themgive it a good cleaning and check all if any weak spots in the Hull,

Good Luck and have some Fun!!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 04:18 PM

Jake, lots of boat experts hang out on the following message board. It's chock full of info and questions are answered quickly. At least mine were.

If I were you I'd focus in on that old Evinrude. Get to know that thing real well.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum.php

[Edited on 9-27-2011 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 04:25 PM

Just had my fiber glass, self bailing 15.5 foot skiff re-worked and maintenanced in La Paz after 9 years of non use. One of the things I had to do was get rid of my metal gas tanks which were similar to the ones you have. They leaked and were a bit rusty inside, very risky to re-use for a variety of reasons, so I replaced them with plastic tanks and am very happy that I did. Just a suggestion.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 04:31 PM

I owned a 22' Panga, had it sporterized by Blue Porpose marine in San Diego Dennis Cintas, the hull came from la Paz.
this was I think about 1982
I had more fun on that boat, it was a fishing machine, used to take it to Baja and also Tuna fishing from San Diego, , I had a 70 gal fuel tank that was built into the bow

as for those old gas tanks you have on that boat, I wouldnt bother cleaning them, you are just asking for problems, gas tanks are a cheap investment,

[Edited on 9-27-2011 by desertcpl]
Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 04:34 PM

Congratulations Jake, Just remember the happiest days in a boat owners life is the day that he buys the boat and the day that he sells it. Have fun, see you soon.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
jakecard
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 04:40 PM

Thank you, SFandH. That old Evinrude is certainly a concern.

The economic decision is a backyard rebuild.

The performance and reliability decision is a total re-power.

The difference in cost of course is substantial.

Anyone got a 1980, 70 hp Evinrude shop manual for sale?

Jake

[Edited on 9-28-2011 by jakecard]
jakecard
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 04:51 PM

Thanks Mitchman and desertcpl, the existing gas tanks are gonners. I was thinking that the space beneath the bow deck was the logical place for a gas tank, with the batteries in the back? Is that what others have done with similar layouts?

Lauri, if you see me out on the water please steer clear. I haven't a clue! I just saw what I thought was a good deal and with a local guy's advice I jumped on it. I have no idea what I am into.

Jake
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 04:52 PM

Jake,

Have pleanty of Evenrude (OMC) parts at the house in Loreto, if you make it down this way..

My panga is a Mac Shroyer 22' center console 1982 built, running on it's 4th motor... Started with a Evenrude 55... Then a Johnson 110...Evenrude 100 (commercial motor).. Now breaking in a Yamaha 100 4-Stroke..

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jakecard
Thanks Mitchman and desertcpl, the existing gas tanks are gonners. I was thinking that the space beneath the bow deck was the logical place for a gas tank, with the batteries in the back? Is that what others have done with similar layouts?

Lauri, if you see me out on the water please steer clear. I haven't a clue! I just saw what I thought was a good deal and with a local guy's advice I jumped on it. I have no idea what I am into.

I am not sure what others have done as far as gas tanks go,
again I had mine done by a professional that knew his stuff,
I have been gone along time from San Diego, I cant remember now who Dennis had the gas tank built,
but it sure makes for a clean setup and will give you excellent range when out fishing, $1000.00 bucks for a Panga, trailer and engine sure sounds right to me. plus the railing and top

[Edited on 9-28-2011 by desertcpl]
jakecard
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 05:06 PM

Yey, photos! Thank you, La Tijereta.

I saw the post about your 3/4" copper tubing, fold-out t-top when I searched through all the old threads about "pangas" on this forum.

Sweet ride!

Jake
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.