Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: BUBBA GUMP TUNA
vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2011 at 06:09 PM
BUBBA GUMP TUNA

BUBBA GUMP TUNA

Hurricane Hilary rolled on by in the Pacific without coming close to southern Baja. She did manage to create strong winds off shore for a couple days which has shut off the bite. Now boats are traveling as far as 50 miles in search of porpoise which have been hard to locate. Meanwhile the marlin and dorado bite closer to shore has been a very slow pick. In shore rooster fish have provided good action for anglers tired of traveling great distances in search of the larger game fish.

I can't predict what the future will hold but to date this has been a spectacular year for Yellowfin tuna. On my way out the door this morning my wife Jeni said if I bring another tuna home she is changing the locks. Jeni is a great cook and has figured out more ways to fix and serve tuna then Bubba Gump can serve shrimp.

Here are a few photos of some of the tuna we have landed this season.

My good buddy Bob Tilley kick off the season with our first tuna in early May

Mid May Dave Hellmers

Early June

Mid June

Late June

Late June

Early July

Mid July

Late July

Early August

Mid August

Mid August

Late August

Early September

Mid September

Mark Rayor
www.thejenwren.com
www.vistaseasport.com
markrayor.blogspot.com
wakemall
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2011 at 06:29 PM

Nice YT. Some canning jars will be filled! Let hope the Albacore get a little closer to the central coast and I can re-stock the inventory.

Great pictures...

[Edited on 9-29-2011 by wakemall]
jakecard
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2011 at 06:52 PM

I enjoy reading your reports. Thank you for posting them.

In your area is there a typical distance from shore you have to go to find yellowfin? Has that distance varied much between May and September?

Jake
vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2011 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jakecard
I enjoy reading your reports. Thank you for posting them.

In your area is there a typical distance from shore you have to go to find yellowfin? Has that distance varied much between May and September?

Jake

JAKE,

There really is no typical distance. Tuna seem to be all over the board. Sometimes they will be traveling with porpoise but other times we find them relating more to an area. Since May we have found them from just a few hundred yards off shore in front of Buena Vista to 50 miles or more off shore. Same with size. Sometimes schools will all be of similar size but other times mixed.
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2011 at 09:00 PM

Ifs too many fish are a problem, let 'em go. I understand the inherient problems, but at least some, if not most, will survive.

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2011 at 05:44 PM

Love the pics!!! I'll be down next week.....I hope it continues!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.