BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  31
Author: Subject: 'Double Wall Barrier' talk - Will GOP immigration rhetoric cost Latino votes?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 09:46 AM
'Double Wall Barrier' talk - Will GOP immigration rhetoric cost Latino votes?

WASHINGTON — With illegal immigration emerging as a defining issue in a GOP presidential race that was expected to be primarily focused on the nation's struggling economy, the talk on the issue — and the focus on sealing the border with Mexico — is not going down well with Latino voters.

Whoever becomes the nominee to oppose President Barack Obama's re-election bid next year will need support from Latinos — the largest and fastest growing U.S. minority group — to win the White House.

In 2008, Obama defeated Republican John McCain by more than a 2-1 margin among Hispanics — 67 percent to 31 percent, and became president. To win in 2012, his opponent likely would need to increase the Republican share to 40 percent, matching the more immigration-friendly George W. Bush when he was re-elected in 2004.

For months now, immigration concerns have followed presidential contenders to town hall meetings from Nevada to Iowa to New Hampshire. And in some ways, immigration has shaped the increasingly bitter Republican nomination fight more than any other issue, particularly in a crowded field where the conservative candidates have more in common than not.

And while conservative voters may be driving immigration chatter on the campaign trail, the candidates are stoking voter passions when given the opportunity.

continued at: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44970991/ns/politics-decision_20...

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 09:57 AM

I hope it costs the GOP votes. I'm no Obama fan, but I'm not impressed with the republican candidates.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 11:04 AM

As I understand it, illegal aliens aren't allowed to vote. Regardless of ethnicity, anyone that is happy with the current administration policies will vote for a second term for Obama.
Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 12:37 PM

I happened to hear the immigration part of the debate on Tuesday evening while making dinner. The profound (and I mean PROFOUND) lack of understanding displayed by nearly all the candidates was alarming. They have no clue, nor understanding of the border dynamics and/or environment.

Rick Perry got it and had a reasonably sound answer to the immigration question. He was the only one. He also got booed by the audience and shouted down by the other candidates, but he was the only one with actual experience with trying to manage a border. Their whole debate (and I'm using that term very loosely) was revolting and stomach churning :o

I would certainly hate to see some of the core economic issues and problems take a back seat to immigration in the upcoming election. It's a secondary issue at best.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 02:37 PM

To the original question---------we are told by the Media it will cost us (GOP) votes--------I am not convinced----------surely Latinos are as smart as non-latinos when it comes to something so obvious as illegal immigration???? To me this is a really "Duh" issue--------the key word being "illegal". No sensible thinking person votes FOR "illegal" activity????? :light:

Barry
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
To the original question---------we are told by the Media it will cost us (GOP) votes--------I am not convinced----------surely Latinos are as smart as non-latinos when it comes to something so obvious as illegal immigration???? To me this is a really "Duh" issue--------the key word being "illegal". No sensible thinking person votes FOR "illegal" activity????? :light:

Barry

Then you don't know latinos.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 04:11 PM

The legal latinos worked hard and payed the price to become honest hard working American residents. They have little respect for the illegals short-cutting the process, sneaking across our border and stealing jobs or getting the free health care at our hospitals! Latinos are also very down on abortion... By only scaring latinos with lies can democrats get their votes.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 04:24 PM

if you build it, they will still come...

si, se puede!

p.s. the GOP candidates talk a hard line about immigration, but at the end of the day they are softies at heart, and they like cheap labor. they speaketh with forked toungues
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The legal latinos worked hard and payed the price to become honest hard working American residents. They have little respect for the illegals short-cutting the process, sneaking across our border and stealing jobs or getting the free health care at our hospitals! Latinos are also very down on abortion... By only scaring latinos with lies can democrats get their votes.

LOL!!! you are clueless. Legal latinos are not against enforcing immigrations laws, but they do get peeed off at the way the issue is handled by many republicans. They don't care much for the closet racism behind this issue, and they see theres more than just enforcing immigration laws. As for your dumb and ignorant comments about illegals "sneaking" across your border and "stealing" your jobs, and getting "free" health care, perhaps you should blame first everyone from huge corporations to even your own politicians who hire illegals to work those jobs. YOU give them jobs, YOU don't do anything to stop your citizens or corporations from giving them jobs, and them you cry and b-tch like a little girl when they cross the border.

Whats easier? dealing with tens of millions of illegals, or dealing with thousands of companies that give them jobs? its a no brainer.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Latinos are also very down on abortion...

Another big lie, polls indicate support for pro choice and pro life among the latino community is aprox 50-50, pretty close to the non latino average.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 04:33 PM

In 2008 Obama got 67 percent of the Latino vote. That was up significantly where Bush got around 45 percent of the Latino vote in 2000 as the so-called compassionate conservative. ( I guess Bush was compassionate because he only deported a token handful of undocumented Aliens from the estimated millions that are in the USA with no papers) McCain barely got 30 percent of the Latino vote way down from Bush's Latino vote in 2004 and way way down from Bush's 45 percent in 2000.

Who can forget when Karl Rove kicked xenophobic Tom Tancredo out of the oval office and said, " Never darken the doorway of the white house again."

What happened next over the next few elections. The GOP use the "illegal immigration" issue as a wedge red meat issue to excite their base. The GOP couldn't talk about economic issues because they controlled the white house, and for much of the time they controlled the Senate, and they even controlled Congress for awhile except the last two years when Bush was in office.

Meanwhile the Latino voters, or Mexican-Americans voters like JoeJustJoe, or Jose like my mother callsl me. We see what the GOP is doing, and are seeing RED! We see the GOP hanging up undocumented Mexican aliens like they're " pinatas" and bashing away and blaming them for all the ills in America today, and many of us Latinos just think that's racist. Now granted JoeJustJoe(myself) if very liberal and some may say radical. ( I am a pure open borders advocate)

However, like Barry A says. There are a good percentage of Latinos who don't like undocumented Mexican aliens as much as white Americans, and want a fence put up, and want aliens to come into this country the right way. ( if there is such as fair right way?)

But when they see the hate coming from the ultra conservatives, and really you only see the ultra conservatives in power pulling the strings nowadays. Well the Latinos see all this hate directed towards undocumented Mexicans, and think these GOP republicans are just racist, and probably don't think these white conservatives like the legal Mexican immigrants or US born Mexican-American much either. ( the same thing happened in California over prop 187)

For example Latinos see the hate directed towards Rick Perry just because he did the right thing and granted in state tuition rates for undocumented Mexican immigrants kids who many of them lived in Texas most of their lives, and their families pay taxes. These kids did nothing wrong. If you want to blame somebody, blame the parent, but not the kids who want to successful, and already showing signs they will be very promising US citizens with a bright future.

So if the GOP can't even pass something as simple like the "Dream Act." Then I think the GOP is going to have trouble attracting Latino voters in 2012.

The GOP really needs to re-think their strategy, because the Latinos are the fastest growing minority, and the Latinos are in the heavy populated states that really count, and can swing elections.

[Edited on 10-20-2011 by JoeJustJoe]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 04:39 PM

Jesse---------I think you are 100% correct in everything you say above EXCEPT the "closet racism", and I am a life-long Republican. But enforcing the laws that already exist is not something that we individually can do anything about, other than vote, cry out about (which certainly happens),or rat on violators when we see them, which I do with gusto, or would do if I saw it happening (and yes, it sure happens). The "racism" claim is bogus, IMO, and just used too stir up emotion, and as a cop-out to avoid talking about the issue in rational ways.

Enforce the border laws, and then we can address the millions of folks already here------in that order. You have the GOP figured wrong---------few are racists.

Barry
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Quote:

LOL!!! you are clueless. Legal latinos are not against enforcing immigrations laws, but they do get peeed off at the way the issue is handled by many republicans. They don't care much for the closet racism behind this issue, and they see theres more than just enforcing immigration laws. As for your dumb and ignorant comments about illegals "sneaking" across your border and "stealing" your jobs, and getting "free" health care, perhaps you should blame first everyone from huge corporations to even your own politicians who hire illegals to work those jobs. YOU give them jobs, YOU don't do anything to stop your citizens or corporations from giving them jobs, and them you cry and b-tch like a little girl when they cross the border.

Whats easier? dealing with tens of millions of illegals, or dealing with thousands of companies that give them jobs? its a no brainer.

Its a no brainer to come up with that?
Leave him alone David K, it would be unfair to argue with a no brainer.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 05:35 PM

Quote:
The "racism" claim is bogus, IMO,.

Barry

European and Canadian visa violators don't get the attention that Latinos do. This is what makes it a racial issue, Barry.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
The "racism" claim is bogus, IMO,.

Barry

European and Canadian visa violators don't get the attention that Latinos do. This is what makes it a racial issue, Barry.

Ken--------Yes, probably true, but I think it is the size and scope of the problem with illegal Latinos that make it a priority issue, not the fact that they are simply Latino-----thus it is NOT a racial issue. If we had 12 million + or - Canadian Gringos in our Country illegally it would be a serious problem, and the same crys would be directed at them.

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 05:56 PM

I guess my lifetime in Southern California working with Latinos gets me different answers than the newspapers you read Jesse... Sorry, I am not trying to argue with you... just exchanging information and another point-of-view... not making it personal, and racism has zero to with this.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
I guess my lifetime in Southern California working with Latinos gets me different answers than the newspapers you read Jesse... Sorry, I am not trying to argue with you... just exchanging information and another point-of-view... not making it personal, and racism has zero to with this.

dk: perhaps you should read "black like me" before you profess to know the latino experience in usa
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Jesse---------I think you are 100% correct in everything you say above EXCEPT the "closet racism", and I am a life-long Republican. But enforcing the laws that already exist is not something that we individually can do anything about, other than vote, cry out about (which certainly happens),or rat on violators when we see them, which I do with gusto, or would do if I saw it happening (and yes, it sure happens). The "racism" claim is bogus, IMO, and just used too stir up emotion, and as a cop-out to avoid talking about the issue in rational ways.

Enforce the border laws, and then we can address the millions of folks already here------in that order. You have the GOP figured wrong---------few are racists.

Barry

I think i should be more clear, i should say SOME republicans, not all. And i don't see anybody avoiding any talk, i think all sides want this discussion. Problem is, those few republican closet racist leaders destroy any chance for a civil intelligent debate because most latinos can see right tru them even do their fellow republicans can't.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 06:22 PM

Quote:

Yeah, the "i have many black friends" vouche is useless in real life.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 06:29 PM

Jesse,

Its all about votes thats it. Making a case of one party over another is naive.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  31

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.