BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: What a surprise....20 kg Halibut caught today in Asuncion!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-22-2011 at 09:16 PM
What a surprise....20 kg Halibut caught today in Asuncion!

Both boats today got their limits of nice size yellowtail in the 18-26 lb range on a wide open bite...but the big surprise of the day...actually the surprise of the year was when one angler who thought he had caught the bottom finally brought in a 20 kg. halibut while jigging for yellowtail over rocks!!!! I personally have never seen one so big here.
Here is Nomad Howard holding that baby up.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2011 at 10:14 PM

That's one fatty flatty! Always exciting to see something different on your hook sometimes, after all those boring yellowtail. Wish I was there
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2011 at 11:11 PM

I thought you were in Mexico, not Alaska! Good one!

Iflyfish
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2011 at 03:46 AM

Nice butt.

No. Not yours.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-23-2011 at 07:06 AM

Asuncion...no fluke, it's a halibut town.

Here's a few we 'should' have caught off my seawall at Coyote Bay. ;)

[Edited on 10-26-2011 by Pompano]

1. a bunch of halibut Seward....jpg - 49kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-23-2011 at 08:05 AM

For my next vacation, I am going to Alaska to do some yellowtail fishing!

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2011 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

[Edited on 10-23-2011 by Pompano]

Major Hi-jack follows:
The reason these guys in the photo are smiling is that they know that this item can be checked off their personal bucket lists and that they will NEVER have to do it again. Here's the drill:
You will go way out in the middle of the ocean and DROP ANCHOR. For the next 4 or 5 hours you will either gently bob up and down or not so gently, depending on the swell that day. You takes your chances.
Your rig will be a 5' rod, made out of some kind of hardwood, the tip being a minimum of 3/4" in diameter and the handle just small enough so your thumb and fingers touch whilst gripping it. The guides are large rollers. The reels are 6/0 Senators (old style, not the "Specials") which have been modified by replacing the stack of drag washers with a few fat metal washers that are solidly brazed to the entire mechanism; spooled with something around 500# Dacron. Terminal gear is a circle hook that looks like it should be on a gaff, on which a rotted carcass of some poor fishy thing is impaled and a ball of lead that you can barely lift over the rail. All of this is dropped to the bottom in 2 or 3 hundred feet of water and placed in a rod holder that is welded from thick steel plate and welded to the iron gunnels. For the next few hours you will be going up and down surrounded by buckets of rotting bait – soon the only folks on the boat who are not queasy are the captain and deck hand. Should you be so unlucky as to actually get a fish on you are faced with the daunting task of winching the whole mess in. The reason there is a two-fish limit on these things is not to protect the fishery but to protect the angler. I am convinced there is no man who can do three in one day. To add insult to injury, you will end up with 100# of mediocre steaks while the best parts, the cheeks, are kept by the crew that cleans and packs your catch.
On a typical three day 6-pack charter the first day is salmon fishing, the second day is halibut and the third day is customer’s choice. In 20 years our outfitter said he can’t recall a single group ever going halibut fishing on the third day. Gee, no kidding…..
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-23-2011 at 09:28 AM

Pompano - anyone - what is the diff from halibut and flounder?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-23-2011 at 10:33 AM

Flounder was in the movie Animal House. Halibut was not. :biggrin:

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 10-23-2011 at 11:45 AM

WHAT A BEAUTY!

That's going to make a lot of good eating...yummy!!

Miguelamo :yes: :spingrin: :yes: :biggrin: :yes: :bounce:

Nomad Amigos...Here\'s hoping you all have safe Baja travels, amazing sunrises, sunny days, comforting breezes, beautiful sunsets, tasty tacos, cold cervezas and frosty margaritas!!
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2011 at 11:58 AM

Excellent Fish:

I started going to San Jannico many years ago. Most everytime I would fish out at the start of the Inlet and catch a lot of Halibut. They are sure good eating.

The Bones that I have displayed at my Home came from a Whale which died and washed up just on the South side of the inlet. That Inlet is where i coached up and Fed Dolphin from my Hand. Also a great place for Lobster

Skeet/Loreto

Old Age ain't no Place for Sisses.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2011 at 12:06 PM

Santiago, you nailed it! Keep your tip up! I'll limit my halibut fishing to Asuncion where one this size is rare.

Iflyfish
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-23-2011 at 12:24 PM

capt. mike, Flounder are much smaller, less than 10 lbs., look just like a tiny halibut, lots of 'em in the Atlantic. Halibut can be huge, lots of 'em in the Pacific, the further north you go, the bigger they get.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 10-23-2011 at 12:38 PM

West side beach Butts

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2011 at 02:02 PM

Where is the challenge of spearing a halibut. They don't even have a rock to hide behind.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2011 at 05:37 PM

And just to be honest, my lone experience is Sitka, which I am led to understand that more than a few Alaskans don't really consider part of Alaska; more like BC.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2011 at 06:28 PM

Back in July of 1997, I spent a week in Asuncion with a buddy. At the time, many of the boats were moored in front of the Coop in town. We had noticed the beach was thick with halibut. We asked our new friend, Pulga, if we could fish from one of the boats. He said no worries. We pretty much could site cast and pick which halibut we wanted to catch. It was a blast to say the least. We were surprised how little interest the locals had with halibut at the time. Well, that was then.

Unfortunately I now see so many shorties caught and kept that the toads are few and far between. But that is a very respectable fish for sure.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-24-2011 at 10:09 AM
thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
capt. mike, Flounder are much smaller, less than 10 lbs., look just like a tiny halibut, lots of 'em in the Atlantic. Halibut can be huge, lots of 'em in the Pacific, the further north you go, the bigger they get.

funny - in the stores - flounder sells cheap but halibut is expensive. wondered why.
so diff species of a similar genus?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-24-2011 at 02:19 PM

Flounder is less 'fishy' tasting than halibut..and is much smaller on the average.

The biggest flounder ever caught on rod/line was about 30lbs...whereas the biggest halibut is almost 470 lbs. (except for that 540 lber caught by my Norsk bretheren in a net)

Both great table fishes, though...so don't go throwing it out the window just for the ...halibut.....groan.

[Edited on 10-24-2011 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 10-25-2011 at 10:44 AM

The sashimi! Oh the sashimi!
P.S. Shari congrats, happy birthday Sirena!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.