Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: fish on!
khargis
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2011 at 10:34 PM
fish on!

hello folks, my girl anna and i will be crossin the border at tj in a week and surfin' and seein' our way down the peninsula. i am from the northwest and have been trout and steelhead fishin the last couple years and a little rockfishin at the coast, but i am hoping to catch some of our food and was hoping some of yall could give me some of your thoughts. ie, licensing info, cost, etc. is it crazy expensive? types of fish from shore, as i have no boat. regardless, anything helps! thanks and fish on! kris
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2011 at 01:57 AM

Are you asking about fishing along the pacific coast? You said you will be surfing.
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2011 at 05:33 AM

Welcome fellow NW'r. You won't need a license if you fish from shore. Bring your steelhead rod, it will work great from the beach to cast small silver sppons like castmasters. My buddy owns RVFSHR and I use their silver and 50/50 spoons a lot down here in 3/5 oz. I run 10-12lb line with this setup.

A plunking rod works too, but you'll be doing just that plunking.
khargis
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2011 at 08:07 AM

hey thanks, my rods are with me and have some spoons, but will pick up some more. what will be biting on these spoons o mine? what do i want and not want to hook catch/ eat?
khargis
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2011 at 08:12 AM

hey skipjack, we will be fishing as well as surfing the pacific coast, but also plan to spend time in bahia de los angeles along with other areas of the sea of cortez.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2011 at 11:24 AM

You might want to check out The Baja Catch fishing book. Everything you need for fishing and some cool out of the way camping places.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2011 at 11:25 AM

Travel safe esp in the Northern Baja, campgrounds with Security a must! Corbina, Halibut and rockfish will fill your plates. Freeze some small shrimp or use fresh limpets/etc. for bait. B of LA is awesome. Central Pacific --Asuncion to Abre Ojos are great undeveloped areas. Bay of Concepcion. Read past travel posts. I hope you have been taking notes since you joined us. Surfing/camping in my frontyard of Pescadero is beautiful. You will have to call in sick and stay a bit longer. Tio:cool:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2011 at 11:39 AM

In addition to shiny spoons (kastmasters and Krocs) plastic grubs work well from shore.

3-4 inch plastics for calico bass, spotted bay bass, and halibut. Calicos from rocky shorelines into kelp. Spotted bay bass in lagoons over eelgrass. Halibut in bay corners next to rocks.

Fish berkely gulp on open beaches for yellowfin croaker and corbina.

For bait Woody uses clams on the pacific other I've seen use mussels.

On the cortez grubs work well from shore as well. As do swimbaits at sharp dropoffs for cabrilla.

If there is bait in the water it's hard to beat the spoons. Sierra, corvina, jacks all like them.

Good luck.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2011 at 12:04 PM

Hi Kris -

Here is the link to get an online fishing llicense, required in Mexico.

http://www2.ebajacalifornia.gob.mx/Pesca/

For surfing I recommend PUNTA ABREOJOS - Exit right at KM 98, south of Guerrero Negro. Make sure you gas up in VIZCAINO.....as you come into Punta Abreojos (great asphalted road all the way from highway 1 to town), look right, cause you can stay at CHELO'S. If her stepson is there - he knows all the surf spots around...it is quite known for surfing and good waves. Be sure to drive the 10 miles north along the lagoon as you leave Punta Abreojos and pay us a visit - bring a beer for Les and one for yourselves and enjoy or spectacular porch view of the Pacific !

Bahia Asuncion is 1 hr 15 min north of us - Shari has camping there. Also a good spot for surfing. and for fishing.

And way down south is San Juanico - great waves and a good place to stay is the CABANAS SAN JUANICO .... one block to the beach. If you want camping - it is readily available there too.

All these towns also have fishing - I suggest you go out with Juanchys here for shore fishing - only costs $50 and he is the BEST !!

If this is your first time, remember to get your visa at the border in TJ. Stay in right hand declare lane as you cross. Get visa and go to the 24/7 bank window to pay and then get visa stamped. Fines are $100 each if you don't !

Also, be prepared to see many military check points. Get out of your vehicle if they ask you to, take docs and money and purses with you.

IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU GAS UP AT EL ROSARIO as there are no gas stations for 200 miles after. Stop at Mama Espinoza's and check out the artifacts.

HAVE FUN !!

[Edited on 11-1-2011 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
khargis
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2011 at 08:46 PM

thanks yall for all the generosity and helpful hints, suggestions and useful knowledge! We can't wait! One thing though, i read online that you do not need a mexican fishing liscense if you are fishing from the shore? is this correct? thank you in advance. k
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 11-1-2011 at 08:57 PM

Yes, that is correct, you will however need a biosphere permit in Asuncion, Shari can fix you up with that or you can get one in Guererro Negro.

If you plan to fish from a boat you will need a fishing license.

[Edited on 11-2-2011 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-2-2011 at 07:40 AM

As far as I know, you dont need the biosphere permit bracelet to fish from shore...only from a boat (kayaks included) Here the corvina love those cute little sand crab/shrimpy lookin things...it's what they eat...best to fish at the high tide or the half hour before it...look for little eddies and those dead crabbie things on the beach...have a great trip!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2011 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
....Here the corvina love those cute little sand crab/shrimpy lookin things...it's what they eat...

If you're not familiar with the sand crabs that Shari mentioned, google "pacific mole crab". Perch love them too. You'll see little V shaped marks they leave in the wet sand when the water runs back, dig down with your hands quickly and you'll come up with bait.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2011 at 08:13 PM

Favorite spot for surf fishing: South end of beach is where pangas shove off around 7am, walk North towards lighthouse, lots of Sierra here. Don't need a license from the beach.

http://www.cabosanlucasbeaches.com/playapuntalobos/index.htm...

Where to surf: think Pedrito is at the 58k marker, big sign, camp on beach, no facilities, friendly locals, or, next beach South to Cerritos.

http://www.cabosanlucasbeaches.com/sanpedritobeach.htm
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2011 at 05:10 PM

Now...if you were taking the Sea of Cortez route........I could provide some great data on campsites, fishing holes, and bait to use.

Hope you have a great time!

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.