Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Long Range Boats From San Diego Fishing Baja Sur Pacific Coast
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 07:02 AM
Long Range Boats From San Diego Fishing Baja Sur Pacific Coast

There are now a handful of fishermen in small private boats who venture out Boca de Soledad or the Entrada at San Carlos to fish the Ridge off the Baja Pacific coast. For decades, however, Thetis Bank and the storied marlin "pile-ups" in the fall, the Tuna Banks south on the Ridge where "cow" yellowfin tuna forage, and the high spots holding rampaging wahoo have been the private domain of the long range fleet out of San Diego and the occasional big sportfisher making the trip down the coast to Cabo. Although some fishermen in private small boats are now making the trip outside to share the bounty, about half of the times I have fished the Ridge over the past few years there have been only long range boats present, or none at all.

Here is a sample of the long rangers I have found at the high spots at first light after a long run out of the boca or Entrada, usually anchored up just where I wanted to make the first pass. Although soaking bait shoulder to shoulder with a boatload of new best friends is not my cup of tea, they do make for pretty pictures:

Shogun

shogun.jpg - 40kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 07:06 AM

Qualifier 105

Q.jpg - 41kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 07:07 AM

Red Rooster III

RR.jpg - 37kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 07:09 AM

Vagabond

vagabond.jpg - 32kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 07:11 AM

Polaris Supreme

polaris supreme.jpg - 35kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 07:13 AM

American Angler

AA.jpg - 38kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 07:15 AM

Intrepid

intrepid.jpg - 30kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 07:17 AM

And sometimes, nobody else at all.....

pacificsr.jpg - 40kB
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 07:33 AM

Nice pictures but if I wanted to look at pictures I would go to the library! :biggrin:

WE WANT AND NEED A FISH REPORT!!

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 07:43 AM

Howard.....Well, if that's what you need here's one from yesterday:

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/baja-mexico-fishing-reports...
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 07:55 AM

Great post Bill.

I read all your posts carefully. Good stuff.

Keep em comin!

No worries
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 08:18 AM

Thanks Bill, that go me going along with my morning coffee.

Heading down to La Ventana tomorrow to see if there are some tuna around and just maybe some Hoo's.

Where you were fishing for the Wahoo's, how long a run is it from shore and do any Panga's venture out that far? I am one of those boatless people who rely on Panga's and friends who want there gas paid for. (hint, hint)

George Bernard Shaw

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 08:54 AM
these were possibly hauled out or through that area

San Diego June 14, 2009
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
Where you were fishing for the Wahoo's, how long a run is it from shore and do any Panga's venture out that far? I am one of those boatless people who rely on Panga's and friends who want there gas paid for. (hint, hint)

Howard.....Where I was fishing was about 50 miles from the launch ramp in Lopez Mateos. 9 miles north up the estero to Boca de Soledad, out the boca and west.
Occasionally a panga makes it out that far, but it's a long panga ride, usually directly into whatever seas there are. One day last week there was a party from Loreto out there in a panga. I think they caught 2 wahoo. The Loretanos initially contacted Ruben Duran who made arrangements for his son Ernesto to take them out, at no small inconvenience since Ernesto had a prior obligation. Then, without notice, they booked Sergio, another local captain who used to work for MBO and now works out of his own panga which is bigger than the one available to Ernesto. That particular party should plan on fishing again with Sergio, or somebody else, on any future trips to Mag Bay, because I don't think that Ruben or Ernesto will have the time to accommodate them anytime soon.
Lance Peterson, a flyfishing guide from the East Cape, is the only fisherman I know who regularly fishes on the Ridge in a panga on his trips north, and Lance is a bit of a masochist.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 09:11 AM

Thanks Bill, brought back some great memories ... of fishing ... and all the rest which goes with one of these trips... :):)

Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 09:38 AM

In order for me to go 50+ miles in a Panga on the Pacific side there better be some mermaids serving cold Pacifico's. I guess this will be be put back on the bucket list.

Really appreciate the report and feedback. When are you coming back to Loreto so I can buy you a beer?

George Bernard Shaw

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 11:43 AM

Great pic's Bill. I just returned from an 8 day on the American Angler. No big tuna this trip and only 2 hoos but great yellowtail fishing with a handful of 30-40# YFT and 64 BFT. Yes, BFT on the Ridge in Oct. Who would have thought.

In Memory of E-57
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 11:50 AM

Love the photos!

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 12:26 PM

Grreat pics, Bill. Yesterday I had lunch at Fisherman's Landing...(got me some new tackle!)....and I usually sit where I can look out on the charter boat fleet. All those big boys are familiar sights to me. I might take some 'in the marina' pics and post here for you to compare. "At Sea" will always be best, though.

I would be having a snack at the marina right now...but it's raining coronas and pacificos here in 'sunny' San Diego.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Great pic's Bill. I just returned from an 8 day on the American Angler. No big tuna this trip and only 2 hoos but great yellowtail fishing with a handful of 30-40# YFT and 64 BFT. Yes, BFT on the Ridge in Oct. Who would have thought.

Alan.....The photo above of the American Angler hoisting anchor at the 23s was taken Monday of last week, October 24. You may have been aboard? Do you see yourself lounging on the deck with coffee? If you were on that trip you may have seen Soledad circling around your boat before the AA moved off the high spot looking for hoos as I was.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.