Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: CSL shootings
cielo

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 01:43 PM
CSL shootings

Wondering if anyone knows how or why the safety situation in Cabo seems to be changing. Until a few weeks ago, Baja Sur was really the only Mexican state that had isolated from the cartel problem. Hope this is not the beginning of the end for BCS. That would be a shame.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 02:18 PM

Welcome to BajaNomad, Cielo.
Without knowing, or getting into details, the crime situation in Mexico can be likened to an aggressive cancer. It's spreading, and will continue to do so.
Another thing....all crime in Mexico shouldn't be attributed to the cartels. There are others who take advantage of inadaquate and inefficient law enforcement.
Mexico just ain't what it used to be.
measomsan
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 03:07 PM

spend four months a year in Cabo....much safer than Houston....
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 03:10 PM

Mexico has become the "Wild West", but only the bad guys are allowed to carry firearms. Is there something wrong with that picture? Equalize the playing field! Allow everyone to carry firearms. When the smoke clears Mexico will be a much safer place.:light:
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 03:14 PM

welcome Cielo and I agree - what a shame if it turns out the cartels are getting more and more entrenched in a state that really did seem to be kinda sheltered from it all .....

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by measomsan

How do you know that? Are you getting all the news?
Do you speak and understand the lingo?
Do you hang out with scum who knows what happens in the local criminal circles?
Are the police virtuous?
Is the press stifled?
:?::?::?::?::?:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 03:31 PM

Quote:

"Houston" is not exactly Shang-gri-la!!! :o:lol::o

Barry

[Edited on 11-18-2011 by Barry A.]
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:

"Houston" is not exactly Shang-gri-la!!! :o:lol::o

Barry

[Edited on 11-18-2011 by Barry A.]

Growing up I spent a lot of my time im North side Houston The Cartel would be fearful of going there.:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 07:13 PM

EVERYONE in Houston carries a loaded firearm.
I have to fly to Houston about every three months. Several people I know have been busted by TSA for inadvertently bringing the weapon to the airport. It's like carrying your wallet...they never think twice about it.

Would be nice if we could do the same in Mexico.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
I have to fly to Houston about every three months. Several people I know have been busted by TSA for inadvertently bringing the weapon to the airport. It's like carrying your wallet...they never think twice about it.

Boy, you sure got that right, Udo!!!!!!!!! :light:

Barry
J.P.
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

The police used to tell you when they stopped you if you have a wepon tell us and we wont bust you for it, but if we have too look for it we will bust you
I carried a 25 browning in my back pocket for so long it wore all the blueing off it. like you said it was normal if I didnt have it I felt naked,
Of course my gun of choice was a 44 mag. for the heavy stuff.
chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 07:41 PM

Baja is still the sweet spot, but you want to keep your eyes open a bit more. i think the deportation of a lot of these low lifes also is playing a part. obviously no statistics on that, but, just makes sense. hopefully some day soon we will have some reasonable authority in baja. my 2centshttp://forums.bajanomad.com/images/smilies/yes.gif
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 07:43 PM

Donīt listen to those that don't even live here, the area is still very safe. The area has grown at one of the fastest rates in north america, 15yrs ago there was only 1 red light in all of los cabos, today, theres hundreds. Population has at the very least doubled in the last 10yrs, so its absolutely ridiculous to expect things to stay the same. Theres a lot of anti Mexico sentiment on this board (wich is ridiculous considering this is supposed to be a baja lovers board), so stick to the facts and don't listen to the crybabies.

BigOly
Senior Nomad

Mood: Easy Birder

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 07:44 PM
Celio

I know the shooting in Cabo might be a bit of an "eye opener". I live in Los Barriles BCS and Bandon, Or.(when I'm not in the Winnebago). Bandon is a small, quiet, coastal town. We had a "violent shooting" a week ago. Made the headlines. Two druggies with a hoochie dispute left one with a leg wound and the other in jail. IN BANDON? WOW!
I was in Johannesburg S. Africa recently and when the folks there ask "where are you from?' I say the U.S. They say "aren't you afraid to live there? Everyone has a gun and they drive around shooting people for no reason". It's a perspective of what the press allows you believe is the truth.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 07:48 PM

Los cabos population 1990 = 43,920
Los cabos population 2010 = 238,487

Considering the huge surge in population, fact is, this is still a very safe place.

24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigOly
I know the shooting in Cabo might be a bit of an "eye opener". I live in Los Barriles BCS and Bandon, Or.(when I'm not in the Winnebago). Bandon is a small, quiet, coastal town. We had a "violent shooting" a week ago. Made the headlines. Two druggies with a hoochie dispute left one with a leg wound and the other in jail. IN BANDON? WOW!
I was in Johannesburg S. Africa recently and when the folks there ask "where are you from?' I say the U.S. They say "aren't you afraid to live there? Everyone has a gun and they drive around shooting people for no reason". It's a perspective of what the press allows you believe is the truth.

Very good point.....it is a matter of perspective!
J.P.
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 08:11 PM

MATTER OF PERSPECTIVE.

Most true statement yet. when I first moved here 8 years ago You would have thought I worked for the Chamber Of Commerce By the way I defended BAJA. any more when someone starts that Arent You Afraid crap I tell them maybe You shouldnt come down It isnt for Every one.
Now if we could just get rid of the crowd that wants it to be like back home. wherever that was.
Mengano
Banned

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

Considering the huge surge in population, fact is, this is still a very safe place.

Not according to the crime data published by your own transparent government. Your government reports the crime rate in Baja California Sur is five times the average rate in the US, and Mexico as a whole has three times the crime rate as the US.

The observed crime index per 100,000 population in Mexico is almost triple the rate of crime observed in the United States in 2009. It is worth mentioning that while in the US the rate increased during the 1980's into the mid 1990's - a period characterized by a 16.5% increase in population - during the last 15 years the US has had a dramatic decrease. Notwithstanding that, in Mexico the crime rate has stayed almost unaltered.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2011 at 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mengano
Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

Not according to the crime data published by your own transparent government. Your government reports the crime rate in Baja California Sur is five times the average rate in the US, and Mexico as a whole has three times the crime rate as the US.

The observed crime index per 100,000 population in Mexico is almost triple the rate of crime observed in the United States in 2009. It is worth mentioning that while in the US the rate increased during the 1980's into the mid 1990's - a period characterized by a 16.5% increase in population - during the last 15 years the US has had a dramatic decrease. Notwithstanding that, in Mexico the crime rate has stayed almost unaltered.

Useless and ridiculous info, so your telling me according to that data BCS has a higher crime rate than Juarez, Monterrey and Tijuana? :lol::lol::lol:

Fundillo

[*] posted on 11-19-2011 at 06:04 AM

Useless and Ridiculous? According to this the data is right. Look at it Jesse and let it sink in. BCS is NOT what it use to be but that applies to all of Mexico. :fire:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.