BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: East Cape-IT WAS c-ckPIT CHAOS!
vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2011 at 09:15 AM
East Cape-IT WAS c-ckPIT CHAOS!

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 27, 2011

IT WAS c-ckPIT CHAOS!

We spent most of this week on the beach because of no charters and mostly windy days. Wednesday afternoon the wind started to subside and it looked like Thursday would be nice. The problem was that it was Thanksgiving and we had celebration plans for that afternoon. I thought what the heck I'll get an early start and come in at 1 or 1:30.

I heard there had been a pretty good dorado bite on the buoys near Pescadero so decided to start fishing there. Upon arrival we could see loads of small skipjack feeding on the surface. We caught a few and started slow trolling. With no action I looked at our GPS and decided to change plans. We ran about 45 minutes to the La Ribera high spot where there had been good marlin and sailfish action for weeks.

When we got to La Ribera there were five other boats and 2 were hooked up. It was just me and Chuy on the boat which makes things interesting when we get bit. Clearing the lines, keeping the boat in position and leadering a fish takes team work. We rigged and started trolling 3 live skippies. It didn't take long and bam we were bit. I was ready with my camera as Chuy set the hook. Hang on, wham! The second rod goes off. With the camera in one hand I set up on the second fish. Wait a minute, slam! The third rod goes off. We are both laughing so hard and with our hands full we can't set up on the third fish. All this is going on in the bridge where the rods were in our rocket launchers. Jumping down on deck Chuy hands me a rod with a fish on and then the second as he takes a swing at the third fish. On deck I now have both bent rods in the rod holders and pitch out a mackerel that was already rigged. Kabam! We are bit again. Chuy's last fish didn't stick but we still have 3 fish going which turned out to be a striper, a sailfish and a dorado. We ended up releasing both billfish and keeping the dorado.

Once settled down we started slow trolling skippies again and in just a few minutes hung another marlin. Releasing that fish I looked at my wrist watch and it was 5 minutes to ten. That's it. Lets head for the barn. We had time to fuel, clean up the boat and make my afternoon commitment.

As we left the area Chuy's brother Javier rolled in. He didn't have to be in early and later told us they released ten billfish that afternoon.

Thanksgiving morning on the East Cape

Chuy hangs the first fish

Now we are in trouble. Rod in one hand camera in the other Chuy is bent and one rod is unattended

The fish are giving us fits

Do I shoot photos or crank on the fish?

It was crazy

Wait a minute. What is wrong with this picture?

Whoa!

One of the fish in our triple was a large sailfish with no bill

I can hardly wait to do that again.

Mark Rayor
http://markrayor.blogspot.com
www.teamjenwren.com
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2011 at 09:24 AM

Good job! Ya gotta love the total chaos! :bounce:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.