Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Sardine Massacre in Bay of Mulege
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 08:09 AM
Sardine Massacre in Bay of Mulege

Que Lastima!

Well, it was too good to last. Last night there were over 5-6 large commercial seiners raping the Sea of Cortez in front of Mulege. (Yeah, raping...I'm a little peeed off, so excuse my language)

The huge schools of sardinas, like the one shown above, in the waters off Mulege lately drew these money-minded boats...and they made many lifts of many tons of sardines ...all night long.

Hold capacities are from 20 to 115 tons and total capacities are from 60 to 140 tons or more. Side boards are carried to make deep deck-loads possible and are frequently used by the smaller boats but seldom by the larger ones. To be conservative - say 100 tons X 5 = 500 tons of sardines destroyed and gone in one night!

The amount of fish wasted will be unbelievable. The deciimation of food for the game fish is a crime. All to be ground up as 'fish meal pellets'...christ!

"Sardines" are named after the Mediterranean island of Sardinia, around which they were once abundant. I think they should be renamed "Comida de puerco - Pig Pellets" because of this irresponsible, greedy, and uncontrolled action.

These 4-5 sardines will be the 'school' that is left from this destruction...and then they too will be gone..forever. The Sea of Cortez might as well have a wake for it's inhabitants. Way to go, Mexico...really smart way to fatten up pigs, cattle and chickens.

Just when the fishing was getting good, again. Carumba!! Might as well sell the ^%@# boat...or become a land-lubber when in Baja. Panama's fishing will be a welcome relief.

(edit to correct number of boats that was reported to me...my bad, but I like to be factual.)

[Edited on 12-17-2011 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 08:37 AM

This reminds me of 1987 or '88, will have to check the dates on my photos...when 35 Japanese purse seiners got permission to net yellowfin tuna between San Marcos and Tortuga...they wiped out the entire years run. Made a few fishermen so mad, we thought a couple purse seiners might get sunk...by accident of course. I have videos of the nets being so clogged with 20-40 lb tuna the winches could not handle the weight. Great news, eh?

[Edited on 12-17-2011 by Pompano]

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 08:42 AM

I share your your frustration and feeling of helplessness. Bahia Concepcion my a$$! Now mostly Bahia Mueretos. You'd imagine with with such a beautiful name the Government would go to extreme measures to preserve and enhance the fish stocks there. NOT ! :fire:

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
I share your your frustration and feeling of helplessness. Bahia Concepcion my a$$! Now mostly Bahia Mueretos. You'd imagine with with such a beautiful name the Government would go to extreme measures to preserve and enhance the fish stocks there. NOT ! :fire:

Hell yes, Russ. I believe the Bay was declared a maritime park sometime after WWII..?? (like the one near Loreto..HAH!)

To press home a point...when one went diving or snorkling anywhere in the Bahia de Concepcion...when your ears were underwater...it was a symphony of crackling, grunts, and other sounds of shellfish, fish, and whatever.

Now it's total silence....like a graveyard. Damn rapists.

What a waste of time it was for us who cared enough to make 3 separate trips to complain to the government...once to Ensenada and twice to La Paz. They glad-handed us...saw us out the door....and forgot about us.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 08:57 AM

Pompano, Between the local gill-netters and the big purse-seiners, there's not much hope for the fisheries to recover. That purse boat is riding very low in the water, must be filled to capacity.:( Number one reason why my fishing is now in US waters. The fisheries are managed. Most species are holding their own and some are actually on the increase. Dealing with the rules and regs can be a pain, but it's worth it.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 09:00 AM

I have pic ,my girlfreind took from behind me.. santapaic beach that had one truck on it,,we sat in the road and drank a six back before a car came by and drove around us,,,then,, the shrimper's would come into the bay a set the hook for the night and would trade HUGE shrimp for my play boy mags or even a baseball hat that had anything gringo on it then (1977) the bay still had life,,sadly no more and now ya gotta pay to camp,,sh-t !! but ya know,,it beat's the hell outta L.a. ,,S.F. sacamento, or any else in,the lower 48 for a winter hangout,,I think the local boy's have finally relized you cant keep rapeing the ocean,,cus now they/we cant catch sh-t..will it come back,,I cant say,,but I shure the F--k hope so..K&T

[Edited on 12-17-2011 by captkw]
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Pompano, Between the local gill-netters and the big purse-seiners, there's not much hope for the fisheries to recover. That purse boat is riding very low in the water, must be filled to capacity.:( Number one reason why my fishing is now in US waters. The fisheries are managed. Most species are holding their own and some are actually on the increase. Dealing with the rules and regs can be a pain, but it's worth it.

You have it right, my friend. I fished herring, reds, and dog salmon for 3 years in and out of Bristol Bay, Alaska...obeying the rules and my conscious...made lots of honestly-gained money. But that fishery was well-managed and kept healthy by an enforced authority. You kept your vhf radio on constantly ..or you missed Game&Fish and/or Coast Guard warning of a shut-down or severe weather. If you were so stupid as to continue fishing in the event of shut-down, the very least you would lose was your boat and catch.

A nation built on laws cannot exist with enforcement of those laws..

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 09:14 AM

Last night I saw 3 shrimpers & 2 seiners working but this morning with the binos I counted 4 shrimpers and 7 seiners. Now only 3 seiners anchored this side of Mulege the rest have either headed North or went into the Bay to anchor up.
Yesterday a local vendor borrowed a boat and went out to one of the shrimpers to get some shrimp & halibut and reported that the shrimper only got 60 kilos during the nights work. Not enough to break even and makes the point that our shrimp stock are gone.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 09:28 AM

Hola,,, bob and susan,,ummm I feel stupid to ask,,but where is mulege bay??? I used to run my livingston out of punta chivato to tortugo and then run down to playa escondeto for dinner with friend's..and never had a chart..running in a small fiberglass caterman,,, wind or direction is NO proplem..is that considerd out infront of the light house (el farro)?? I think I might need a noaa chart here,, LOL....
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Hola,,, bob and susan,,ummm I feel stupid to ask,,but where is mulege bay??? I used to run my livingston out of punta chivato to tortugo and then run down to playa escondeto for dinner with friend's..and never had a chart..running in a small fiberglass caterman,,, wind or direction is NO proplem..is that considerd out infront of the light house (el farro)?? I think I might need a noaa chart here,, LOL....

captkw....perhaps I can help you. 'Bay of Mulege' is defined on some charts as that area of ocean from offshore Pta. Chivato to Pt. Conception.

I don't know if these charts are 'official' or not...but what is in Baja??

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 09:54 AM

That is so depressing.

carpe diem!
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 09:56 AM

So sorry Roger...

KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 10:05 AM

"A nation built on laws cannot exist with enforcement of those laws.. "

Unfortunately , Mexico is not a nation of laws , it's dog eat dog. Law in mexico is enforced when it suits them.

What a shame to see this happening again. The only thing I can think of is to get it documented and then turn up negative environmental media publicity about the matter.

I don't think people in general realize that conception bay is a large part of the sea of cortez which is one of the major fish nurseries of the world.

Being raped to fill the bolsas of the tuna pen owners.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 10:14 AM
pompano

OH..ok, I never heard that before...I will craw back to my cave and keep pedeling my alternator for power....some times at night I wish I had a 50 cal. and do some target pratice out on the water:fire:
chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 10:16 AM

This activity is brutal. litterally putting the kabash on potentially good fishing befor it can start. Common sense from the food chain concept. Not sure of other areas up & down the cortez, but Chivato / Mulege area, serious pressure. Very much a shame.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 10:23 AM

It's too bad there is no way to Monkey Wrench an activity like those commercial boats. If there is no enforcement/regulations to prevent over harvests, the resources will surely suffer. And it's always the locals who depend on those resources who pay the price without any of the benefit......

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 10:32 AM

Sad, very sad. :no:

bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 10:55 AM

Greed!

bacquito
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 11:19 AM

In discussing this last night with some of my baja buddies one of the, uh, how do I say this....'less stable' guys quipped; "Why not just trade with the Zetas? Quiet, secure and unfettered routes north in exchange for enforcing current regs. I mean, the drugs are coming anyway, why not trade that for a vibrant fishery?"

The rest of us spit-took (or is it 'spit-taked?) our single malt but then it got kinda quiet as we realized that this just might work.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 11:58 AM

Maybe they can introduce an Asian Carp ... which does well in sea water...

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.