BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: McDonalds in Tijuana (Yes, Really)
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 07:17 PM
McDonalds in Tijuana (Yes, Really)

Hubby had to go to San Diego from Baja today.

He called me when he was near the Cuauhtémoc roundabout, saying he was hungry and didn't want to wait until he got across the border.

I suggested the nearby TJ McDonald's just because it is very visible and easy to find.

Hubby called me from the restaurant to say the food was great and that the owner came up to him to talk about the sourcing of his food.

The owner said that when the franchise first opened, McDonald's insisted that they only use McDonald's suppliers,

Business was not good and the owner told hubby that was because Mexicans won't eat meat that doesn't have good taste.

After McD's was ready to give up, he bought the license (franchise?) and now uses his own providers including grass fed beef from Sonora and now, business is very good.

[Edited on 1-1-2012 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 07:39 PM

Hey, my EggMcMuffin had some diced green pepper or mild chili in it, muy rico! That was three years ago in Ensenada, and have not been back since. I sure miss the fries though!!!;D

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 07:49 PM

eggmcmuffin served with refried beans ON the sandwich. odd but tasty

sbwontoo
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 10:12 AM

I'm not a fan of this review. I think from what you are saying he is in violation of the law. As a franchisee he was required to use specific food suppliers and execute the menu he agreed to in his contract. McDonalds alters their menu and flavor profiles for most every country it operates in- sometimes drastically, but no one gets to "wing-it" under the golden arches. What this guy does is get you in the door using the golden arches brand and offers you a different experience. It may be a better experience, but that is not the point and I'm sure McDonalds wouldn't be pleased. The McDonalds in Rosarito is corporate run. I used to eat at McDavid's in Tel Aviv years ago... you just have to tweak the name so yo don't rip off McDonalds and the public. jmho

[Edited on 1-1-2012 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 10:24 AM
McMouse's

Didn't want to put a negative connotation to this either, but now that you mention it...about 10 years ago I went up to the drive in window at that McDonalds, (by the glorietta) and ordered...while waiting a big mouse was nibbling by the menu board in full sight...when I told the management they just shrugged their shoulders...
Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
I'm not a fan of this review. I think from what you are saying he is in violation of the law. As a franchisee he was required to use specific food suppliers and execute the menu he agreed to in his contract. McDonalds alters their menu and flavor profiles for most every country it operates in- sometimes drastically, but no one gets to "wing-it" under the golden arches. What this guy does is get you in the door using the golden arches brand and offers you a different experience. It may be a better experience, but that is not the point and I'm sure McDonalds wouldn't be pleased. The McDonalds in Rosarito is corporate run. I used to eat at McDavid's in Tel Aviv years ago... you just have to tweak the name so yo don't rip off McDonalds and the public. jmho

[Edited on 1-1-2012 by Woooosh]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Didn't want to put a negative connotation to this either, but now that you mention it...about 10 years ago I went up to the drive in window at that McDonalds, (by the glorietta) and ordered...while waiting a big mouse was nibbling by the menu board in full sight...when I told the management they just shrugged their shoulders...[quote
Same thing happened to us last year when we were eating on patio of a 4star restaurant in the Yucatan except it was a giant rat. The waiter just said "don't worry, it is a pet and we call him Miguelito Raton.:lol:

Bob Durrell
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 05:49 PM
Curtis Sliwa in the Tijuana McDonalds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJi8MeqLwbU

—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJi8MeqLwbU
That was interesting in a painful sort of way. Two crime-fighter "Guardian Angels" who travel the world and use local McDonalds for their meeting place. They were at the closed Tijuana McDonalds wondering out loud if they had a "One Peso Menu." (7 cents)

[Edited on 1-2-2012 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 06:12 PM
Hey, It is What It Is

Hubby is a stickler about cleanliness and is picky about food.

He liked the owner and since his uncle owned several McD's franchises in California, he would have commented to me if this one was operating in a less than legal manner.

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Hubby is a stickler about cleanliness and is picky about food.

He liked the owner and since his uncle owned several McD's franchises in California, he would have commented to me if this one was operating in a less than legal manner.
If he is using outside suppliers and tweaking the menu- it isn't the real deal. That's all. If someone was to promote buying lobsters from a non co-op here many nomads wouldn't think it wasn't right. It's easy to hate big companies, but the fact is the legal Rosarito store is paying for the marketing that feeds the illegal TJ store his business. I made my lving creating and branding restaurant concepts so I'm a bit touchy when it come to bandito-franchises. It is usually the customer who loses-out and it hurts the brand if what you expect is not what you get once you walk in the door. Any places serving turtle soup you can recommend?
:saint:

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 09:37 PM

Ok, so they somehow got a burger to taste better than what I remember from my childhood? I don't buy it. I know several Mexican friends who like Taco Bell just fine. They like McDonalds just fine too. I challenge anybody to find something better than the fillet o fish or fresh fries.
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 12:33 AM

Sorry if this goes long, but… several years ago, I went with some friends to purchase prescription medications in Juarez. After several minor events during shopping spree, we decided to wait and eat lunch after we were NOB, McDonalds was the first easy chain type of restaurant that we saw… so hey, why not. After eating our meals, I went to the counter to ask for a refill on my soda, while standing there waiting for my drink to be refilled, I watched one of the hired help, (in uniform) dump our uneaten fries back into the basket of fries, waiting to be served to the next customer. She did pick out most of our trash before going back to clean the next tables, all the while I was glad I did not order fries with my meal. I told the guys about what I had witnessed, I thought one of them was going to chum right there in the brand new Chrysler 300, we were able to laugh about the whole event later. JH:barf:
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 09:02 AM

I've always wondered how crappy fast food chains like McD's could survive in a country like Mexico where superb high quality street food can be had for so cheap!
I applaud the TJ McD's owner for sourcing better meat for his burgers though!
I personally have not eaten at any fast food chain for 4 years now , firstly mostly they are disgusting food with little nutritive value, secondly they are a huge negative environmental drain. And if you think disgusting health violations only occur in Mexican McD's and the like you are sadly mistaken!

\"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened\"

Douglas Adams

our website: http://bajadarkskies.com
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 10:08 AM

I've always wondered how crappy fast food chains like McD's could survive in a country like Mexico where superb high quality street food can be had for so cheap!
With close to 300 outlets across South Korea, McDonald's has built its success on localizing its operation and menus. It has come up with shrimp burgers, kimchi burgers and bulgogi (marinated beef) burgers. It also draws many of its ingredients from local suppliers.
Till now, the world's largest fast-food chain has done well in the country: Out of its 37 overseas markets, South Korea was No. 1 in terms of customer and operating income growth .
This year is shaping up differently. Amid mounting anger at all things American, its South Korean home page has been attacked by hackers and its local headquarters has been targeted by protests. Most hurtful: A leading politician accused the chain of making burgers from intestines and cattle older than 30 months, which are believed to have a higher risk of infection with mad cow disease.
In fact, the South Korean subsidiary has only used beef from Australia and New Zealand since 1995, but according to South Korean media, the accusation led to a drop in foot traffic at its restaurants.

[Edited on 1-2-2012 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja I applaud the TJ McD's owner for sourcing better meat for his burgers though!

Who decides what is better meat? Is it what is cheaper for them to buy and produce? Is it beef? Does it have added hormones (infamous in Mexico)? BTW there are a dozen or so corporate-compliant McDonalds in TJ, not sure if the location in this thread is one. He could just be tinkering with the concept and not a renegade franchisee....

[Edited on 1-2-2012 by Woooosh]

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
With close to 300 outlets across South Korea, McDonald's has built its success on localizing its operation and menus. It has come up with shrimp burgers, kimchi burgers and bulgogi (marinated beef) burgers. It also draws many of its ingredients from local suppliers.
Till now, the world's largest fast-food chain has done well in the country: Out of its 37 overseas markets, South Korea was No. 1 in terms of customer and operating income growth .
This year is shaping up differently. Amid mounting anger at all things American, its South Korean home page has been attacked by hackers and its local headquarters has been targeted by protests. Most hurtful: A leading politician accused the chain of making burgers from intestines and cattle older than 30 months, which are believed to have a higher risk of infection with mad cow disease.
In fact, the South Korean subsidiary has only used beef from Australia and New Zealand since 1995, but according to South Korean media, the accusation led to a drop in foot traffic at its restaurants.

[Edited on 1-2-2012 by durrelllrobert]

Many of the fast food giants that have reached out globally, have tailored their menus to local tastes. Consider what McDonalds does in India, for instance. Sorry that I cannot find the link, but I do recall reading an article that outlined many of the local "accommodations" that the traditional US fast food guys have made throughout the world. Some of it is mind-boggling.

So, I really don't think the guy who owns the TJ McDs is violating any contract.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 05:07 PM

I went to a few McDonalds in India. They do not offer beef at all. The veg-burger is popular. I mostly ordered the chicken burger and the fillet-o-fish. McDonalds is considered upscale dining in India for locals.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2012 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
I went to a few McDonalds in India. They do not offer beef at all. The veg-burger is popular. I mostly ordered the chicken burger and the fillet-o-fish. McDonalds is considered upscale dining in India for locals.

How about a McVeggie, McCurry, McPuff, McSurprise or a Maharaja?
In IndiaBeef and pork products are not offered to observe Indian religious sensitivities. Halal certified chicken and fish are the only meat products used in India.

In India, meat and vegetarian meals are prepared in separate areas of the restaurant because of religious laws about preparation of food for vegetarians and meat-eaters. Cooks preparing vegetarian dishes wear distinctive green aprons.

The Vegetable McCurry Pan, the famous dish is very popular and is an original creation of McDonald's across India. It starts with a rectangular shaped crust that is topped with a creamy sauce, mushrooms and vegetables including broccoli and bell pepper. It is then baked until the crust is crisp and the toppings are hot and bubbly.

The Chicken McCurry Pan is the same as its vegetarian version. It starts off with a rectangle of dough and is topped with a tomato-curry sauce, spiced with thyme, basil and oregano. It is finished off with chicken, bell peppers, and cheese and is baked till crisp and bubbly.

There is an Indian version of the Big Mac, called the Maharaja Mac, which is made with two grilled chicken patties and is topped with onions, tomatoes, cheese and a spicy mayonnaise. It was originally made with lamb, but is now made with chicken.

Mexican-style wraps for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians, like the Mexican Chicken Wrap, and Curry Pans in shahi paneer and chicken tikka variations are also offered.

The Paneer Salsa Wrap is sold in India. It starts with a small slab of paneer that has been dredged in a coating that is a cross between Mexican and Cajun in flavor. It is fried and the paneer patty is wrapped in flatbread and topped with a mixture that includes lettuce, red cabbage and celery and then is finished off with vegetarian mayonnaise, salsa and cheddar cheese.

Other items on the Indian menu include chicken and fish products like the McChicken and the Filet-O-Fish.

The vegetarian burger menu consists of the McAloo Tikki Burger. It is a veggie burger which includes a patty made out of potatoes, peas, and spices. It also includes tomato slices, onions, and vegetarian mayonnaise.[5]

McVeggie is another vegetarian burger on the menu. It looks similar to the McAloo Tikki Burger (see above), but starts with a sesame seed bun. In between the bread, you'll find a vegetarian patty that is made from peas, carrots, green beans, red bell pepper, potatoes, onions, rice, and seasoning. The burger is then garnished with lettuce and has mayonnaise (referred to as Veg Sauce in India) spread thickly on the bread. Another menu item sold there is the Chicken McGrill. It starts off with a thin grilled chicken patty that is embellished with cilantro mayonnaise, onions and tomatoes and is served on a toasted bun.

Another vegetarian menu item in India is the Crispy Chinese. It starts with a vegetarian patty topped with a creamy Szechuan sauce and lettuce. Another new menu item added is the McSurprise burger. It contains a mutton patty, onion and Italian mayonnaise.

There is also a Pizza McPuff, which also starts with a rectangular shaped crust, but instead of a creamy sauce, it is flavored with a tomato-based sauce and then is topped with carrots, beans, bell peppers, onions, peas and mozzarella cheese.

Recently a breakfast menu is introduced in selected outlets. The menu includes veg items like Veggie McMuffin, hash browns, Cuppa Corn, hotcakes with maple syrup, and Spinach and Corn McMuffin. The non-vegetable menu features egg and cheese McMuffin, Sausage McMuffin and Chicken Salami McMuffin. These products are available at selected outlets from 7:00 AM to 11:00 AM.[6]

Bob Durrell
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 1-3-2012 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
So, I really don't think the guy who owns the TJ McDs is violating any contract.

And you would be wrong in this case. Every one of the variations you listed (there are hundreds) are test kitchen and marketplace tested (focus groups) by the corporate staff of McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, etc when they change menu ingredients and flavor profiles to match a geographic region. The spend $millions every year doing this. Then they will determine a food supplier, the exact recipe and pricing guidelines for the new items. NO ONE GETS TO "WING IT" or tinker with the concept in a franchise. That's the whole point of being a "brand." That simple.

"You'll pay an initial franchise fee of $45,000 directly to McDonald's. You'll go through a rigorous nine-month training period where you'll learn about the McDonald's way of doing things -- things like their standards for quality, service, value, formulas and specifications for menu items, their method of operation, and inventory control techniques. You'll have to agree to operate the restaurant from a single location, usually for 20 years, following their guidelines for decor, signage, layout and everything else that makes McDonald's McDonald's. You'll pay McDonald's a monthly fee of 4 percent of your sales, and either a flat base rent or a percentage rent of at least 8.5 percent of your sales. Think of franchising as paying someone for his or her business strategy, marketing strategy, operations strategy, and the use of his or her name. That's pretty much what franchising is -- you are establishing a relationship with a successful business so you can use its systems and capitalize on its existing brand awareness in order to get a quicker return on your own investment. You are using its proven system and name, and running it by its rules. Are you still your own boss? In some respects, no. You still have to answer to someone else and follow his or her direction. You don't really own the business; you own the assets you've purchased in order to establish the business."

"Suppliers and franchisees must follow rigorous quality and safety guidelines if they want to work with McDonald’s, because in a high-profile business that bases success on a consistent customer experience no matter where you are in the world, setting explicit food safety and quality expectations for (food) suppliers and restaurant employees is the only way to make it work."

From the McDonalds Malaysia Menu... still has strict specifications.

[Edited on 1-3-2012 by Woooosh]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.