Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fish ID help
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2012 at 08:39 PM
Fish ID help

Hey ya'll,

I had a nice 8 day trip over the Christmas break and did a lot of paddling and fishing this trip. We were camped on Ens Alcatraz north of BoLA.

We had good luck with sandbass and giant jawfish jigging spoons. I had one small tough fighting fish hit the spoon when it was falling and I am not having any luck with its identification.

Anyone? Thanks. :)

[Edited on 1-5-2012 by ursidae69]

[Edited on 1-5-2012 by ursidae69]

IMG_2406s.jpg - 49kB
jeffg
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2012 at 08:59 PM

Ocean Whitefish
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2012 at 09:02 PM

Awesome, thank you. I was getting bug eyed clicking through links of photos on MexFish.com! :)
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-4-2012 at 09:05 PM

Hey yourself, ursidae69..

Not a great close-up, plus I don't see a lateral line, but it may be an blanquillo, tilefish...called other names, like ocean whitefish, etc...not bad table fare at all, but then most Cortez fish are tasty.

I usually hook them over deep rock piles..200 - 300 ft when jigging for a pinto dinner. You can catch your limit quickly with a rock cod rig...baited with squid pieces. It's all good. The main thing is, you caught dinner and had fun. A success!

[Edited on 1-5-2012 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2012 at 09:53 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the locals call that fish "pierna"?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 04:54 AM

KaceyJ,

Yes, but it varies from local to local...in this area they do..although 'pierna' can mean a lot of different fishes that are used mostly in taco stands. Like 'cabrilla' is used for very similar types. Example: Gold-spotted bass, pintos, are sometimes called 'cabrilla' and so on..

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 06:51 AM

blanco.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 08:00 AM

OMG, that must've been you we met in the kayak.

You were removing a scorpionfish gingerly from the end of your line.

What a small world. I wish I had known. I've always enjoyed reading your posts.
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
OMG, that must've been you we met in the kayak.

You were removing a scorpionfish gingerly from the end of your line.

What a small world. I wish I had known. I've always enjoyed reading your posts.

That was YOU? That was my buddy Taylor, he said he met a gringo who had battery problems. He caught 2 scorpion fish this trip. We looked for you the next day at the next beach south figuring you had camped there and never saw ya. Was the battery issue major?

The mud flats leading into Ens Alcatraz were slick but manageable. We saw your tracks where you had turned around. The truck got quite muddy and I had to get a car wash in San Felipe so to not have border problems.

I'm still processing photos and vids, I hope to have a trip report up in a week or so. It would have been great to meet you. It's always cool to meet interesting folks in remote places.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 10:31 AM

Yes that was me.

The battery incident was interesting.

As you know sunset was at around 5 and it was pitch black by 5:30. So we kept the lights on in the camper for dinner and subsequent reading until almost 8PM. The following morning I would run the engine at idle until the temperature came up to normal running temp and turn it off (about 10 minutes). I thought I was recharging the battery completely.

Anyway, one morning I turn the key and it's barely moving the engine. And with each revolution is turning slower and sloooower and slooooooower. Finally on about the last possible turn there is ignition and the engine is running.

I breathe a sigh of relief. But start to feel really nervous about staying any longer. So the following evening I run the engine at 2000 rpm for 15 minutes and it fires up the next morning perfectly. I did that for the remainder of the trip and there were no further problems.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

More comments:

1. If I'm not mistaken the cliff in your picture is where we camped.

2. The high tides inundated the Salicornica beds and turned the road to mud. I feel much more confidant in sand than mud.

3. We had a coyote come by and steal our sandals one night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

We talked about the absence of lizards on this trip. They were not to be found. I thought the weather there was warm enough to keep them from hibernating.

What are your thoughts on that?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 10:50 AM

DEAD BATTERIES

If I am going to be parked for a day or more in the boonies, I use a very inexpensive and small "solar panel" to help charge my truck battery during daylight, and that has always worked for me.

Just an idea.

barry
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 11:27 AM

I'm really happy with my solar setup. My truck sat for 5 days with the fridge running and the battery was always fresh. I am running a 105 ah Dekka though and an 80 watt panel. A bit overkill, but it leaves me without worry.

Did you hear any of our fireworks? ;) We had a few nights of Mexican fireworks.

We had some resident coyotes. I saw their tracks through my kitchen every morning. They didn't steal anything though surprisingly. We had some Mexican fisherman camp a few hundred meters away a few nights and passed each other often on walks in the evening but we were never able to have a conversation. I am embarrassed that my Spanish is not very good. I think they were the octopus fisherman, but I'm not certain.

I thought it was warm enough for lizards too. The only lizards I saw were side-blotch (Uta spp) and not many. It was pretty cold the week before we got there which pushed then down underground for a while I think. I hiked a few of the mountains around camp and no lizards were there either.

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Yes that was me.

The battery incident was interesting.

As you know sunset was at around 5 and it was pitch black by 5:30. So we kept the lights on in the camper for dinner and subsequent reading until almost 8PM. The following morning I would run the engine at idle until the temperature came up to normal running temp and turn it off (about 10 minutes). I thought I was recharging the battery completely.

Anyway, one morning I turn the key and it's barely moving the engine. And with each revolution is turning slower and sloooower and slooooooower. Finally on about the last possible turn there is ignition and the engine is running.

I breathe a sigh of relief. But start to feel really nervous about staying any longer. So the following evening I run the engine at 2000 rpm for 15 minutes and it fires up the next morning perfectly. I did that for the remainder of the trip and there were no further problems.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

More comments:

1. If I'm not mistaken the cliff in your picture is where we camped.

2. The high tides inundated the Salicornica beds and turned the road to mud. I feel much more confidant in sand than mud.

3. We had a coyote come by and steal our sandals one night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

We talked about the absence of lizards on this trip. They were not to be found. I thought the weather there was warm enough to keep them from hibernating.

What are your thoughts on that?
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 12:42 PM

Barry (BTW I caught a few barries on this trip) and ursidae,

Thank you so much about the solar battery recharge suggestions. Good stuff. I learn so much from this website.

edit - Wouldn't a backup battery take less space than the solar panels?

[Edited on 1-5-2012 by Skipjack Joe]
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 12:54 PM

There are various ways you can go to handle your battery concerns. One is to do what you did, simply start the truck every day. Another is to have a second battery. If you're running a fridge a 2nd battery will last a few days and you'd need to charge it somehow. You can run one of the dual battery setups that they sell that has a relay that connects your batteries when charging and disconnects them when the truck is off. That still requires you to start the truck to charge both. I ended up replacing my starting battery with a group 34 Dekka which is 105 amp hours. That is about double the stock battery. That meant I did not have to wire in the dual battery setup or find a spot for a second battery. Instead of starting the truck every couple days I just deploy my solar panel. I keep it secured to the underside of my shell up against the carpeted roof of the shell so I have not had any loss of space. My charge controller is also mounted to the ceiling of the shell. I enjoy modding vehicles though. :)
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 02:48 PM
Coyotes stealing shoes

What's with that?

Dogs like to run off with their owner's shoes and now coyotes show the same behavior. We had stuff laying all over the campground and he came by every night. Except for food he targeted the sandals.

I'm just curious on your take on the same behavior by related species. I thought that at the time. What's your opinion.

Chewiness? The swim mask was next to it and avoided.

Body odor? He showed no interest in the wetsuit which also had scent.

Had we met we could have discussed these 'weighty' topics. :lol:
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 05:19 PM

That is one of my favorite fish to catch, filet and eat in BOLA.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.