Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 03:23 PM
Young U.S. Citizens in Mexico Brave Risks for American Schools

From the New York Times: http://tinyurl.com/73hxpo8

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 03:28 PM

Can't wait for the responses on this.......I'm getting the popcorn and Pacifico ready.

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 03:32 PM

God bless them and their motivation to succeed. Mexico needs a generation of these people who are bilingual and bicultural.

Iflyfish
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
God bless them and their motivation to succeed. Mexico needs a generation of these people who are bilingual and bicultural.

Iflyfish

Maybe God should bless the taxpayers as well who support these educations. Did anyone ever say, "Thank You," for that?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Can't wait for the responses on this.......I'm getting the popcorn and Pacifico ready.

hilarious.:yes:

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 04:21 PM
Now what????

While I don't support the illegal activities of the parents, I do applaud the efforts of these kids to get a decent education....

However, I wonder what the backlash from this article will be from cash strapped school districts and overburdened taxpayers.

Will be interesting to sit in at the next Chula Vista School District board meeting...........

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 04:44 PM

Been going on for a very long time----in Calexico, we had students from the other side of the border who paid to attend the public schools, those who "lived" with a relative on this side, those who were citizens but lived in Mexicali, some of the parents living on the other side had businesses on this side and paid taxes, most of the parents shopped a lot on this side----on and on.

At times the district would post someone at the border with a camera---that didn't last long.

As a teacher how many of the students who I knew were breaking the rules did I report, even when asked? ZERO

Yes, it will hit the The Sweetwater Union Highschool District Board Meeting and will be a big stink and then go away. Right now for that school board this is probably the least of their problems, or at least for some of the board menbers :lol:

:lol:

[Edited on 1-21-2012 by DianaT]

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 04:48 PM

The premise of our educational system has to be that to do otherwise than educate our citizen children, no matter where they live, would create a larger burden and be much less beneficial to the country, down the line. These do not appear to be children deemed as illegal immigrants, but potential future citizens that live for differing reasons, close enough to invest the effort and participate in our countries education system.

Let me put this another way. I spend my Saturdays in visitation at Donovan State prison. One of the inmates I have come to form a relationship with, was released after 16 years of incarceration, this last year. While at his home two weeks ago, repairing a faulty door, I used my air compressor and finish nail gun. In wrapping up my tools while conversing with this ‘ex-con’, he marveled at my compressor and exclaimed, “That’s amazing, I’ve never seen on of those before”. I knew this was probably true because 16 years ago he was a young 20-year-old idiot who crossed the wrong line of law.

What I also realized, was that in 16 years of incarceration in a system that simply warehoused men with no potential growth opportunities, that system had turned out a 36-year-old idiot, with no beneficial attributes to society.

What will we do with Mexican educated citizens when they decide to exercise their right to live in this country, years from now? Oh, yea, clean our floors.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 04:55 PM

Diane........

It's great that you were a teacher, and I appreciate that. My daughter is an elementary teacher........Teachers do great work.

But why should we subsidize "illegal" students?????

My kids are grown and gone, why do I still have to pay school taxes????

I hope the "stink" in the Chula Vista School District and other districts does not go away........be legal, save money, lower taxes.....what's wrong with that????

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Will be interesting to sit in at the next Chula Vista School District board meeting...........

This isn't anything new, Terry. It's been going on forever and everybody knows about it. I mean, it's hard to miss if you're around the border early in the morning or when school lets out. There are kids with school books crossing in droves.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 05:02 PM

I have my daughter in the best school (secundaria: equivalent to Junior High School) in Ensenada. The English and Math programs are wonderful, and I can't say enough about private Mexican education....
Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

This isn't anything new, Terry. It's been going on forever and everybody knows about it. I mean, it's hard to miss if you're around the border early in the morning or when school lets out. There are kids with school books crossing in droves.

in droves and strapped with drugs.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 05:08 PM
American citizens living in TJ??

I had a choice to go to medical school in TJ or Ensenada...I have spent an untold amount of money on gas and a considerable amount of time in the past six years driving the extra hour to Ensenada...Ensenada's rents are cheaper and no one in their right mind would raise a child in Tijuana...I drove the extra hour as well to work on the other side of the border to have my daughter raised in Ensenada. The author also states that American citizens are living in TJ?? I beg to differ...probably deported American citizens....no one would live in TJ by choice..JMHO....
Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 05:16 PM

Quote:
Diane........

It's great that you were a teacher, and I appreciate that. My daughter is an elementary teacher........Teachers do great work.

I hope the "stink" in the Chula Vista School District and other districts does not go away........be legal, save money, lower taxes.....what's wrong with that????

I guess I was just more concerned with working with my high school students than worrying about if they were legal or not. I guess I just never considered any of them "illegal"---they were just students.

In the argument over the tax issue, I often think that one thing is overlooked----the amount of US taxes the people from south of the border pay when they shop in the US. Also, many may rents for the right to use a US address. OK, that address may be a garage room, but the rent helps pay the property tax.

Just my opinion. When I taught in Honduras we used to joke about working illegally. The school could not afford to pay for us to be legal workers. But I still just felt like a teacher and not like an "illegal" person.

I sincerely doubt that any of this will change.

bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 05:20 PM

During a recent fairly lengthy stay at UCSD Sulpizio, I spent a lot of time chatting with the well-paid nurses (none of whom, to the best of my knowledge, were ever deported). It was surprising how many of those norteños live in TJ by choice, not out of any perceived necessity. And a good friend in Rosarito, also American, commutes to his job at the Department of the Navy in Coronado; again, his choice.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
I guess I just never considered any of them "illegal"---they were just students.

Ohhh...c'mon, Diane. That's like saying, "I never considered these things "deadly"----they're just bullets."

[Edited on 1-22-2012 by DENNIS]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 05:29 PM
These are the rules..

When I first considered putting my daughter into a school across the border in Chula Vista many years ago, I spoke to the school Board in Chula Vista who told me that no matter what, if you didn't live in the states your child had to pay a few thousand dollars a year to go to school in the US if you lived in Mexico, even though I was paying taxes and working in the US...doesn't matter what taxes Mexicans pay when they come to the US and buy things...think about the 30% taxes that items are marked up in Mexico that Americans buy in Mexico. And I never heard of anyone renting a US address...its usually a long lost cousin 8 times removed doing a family favor.
Quote:
Quote:
Diane........

I guess I was just more concerned with working with my high school students than worrying about if they were legal or not. I guess I just never considered any of them "illegal"---they were just students.

In the argument over the tax issue, I often think that one thing is overlooked----the amount of US taxes the people from south of the border pay when they shop in the US. Also, many may rents for the right to use a US address. OK, that address may be a garage room, but the rent helps pay the property tax.

Just my opinion. When I taught in Honduras we used to joke about working illegally. The school could not afford to pay for us to be legal workers. But I still just felt like a teacher and not like an "illegal" person.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 05:31 PM
living in Mexico...

I am talking about living in TJ per se, not Rosarito, not even Otay Mesa Tijuana side...
Quote:
Originally posted by bajamigo
During a recent fairly lengthy stay at UCSD Sulpizio, I spent a lot of time chatting with the well-paid nurses (none of whom, to the best of my knowledge, were ever deported). It was surprising how many of those norteños live in TJ by choice, not out of any perceived necessity. And a good friend in Rosarito, also American, commutes to his job at the Department of the Navy in Coronado; again, his choice.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
I guess I just never considered any of them "illegal"---they were just students.

Ohhh...c'mon, Diane. That's like saying, "I never considered these things "deadly"----they're just bullets."

[Edited on 1-22-2012 by DENNIS]

Dennis-- I believe that behavior and activities can be illegal, but people cannot be illegal. I think it is like labeling children born to single mothers illegitimate. IMHO, I don't think those labels should be attached to human beings.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 05:39 PM

Yes, there is a fee of several thousand dollars involved and some people pay it and many don't.

And yes, often the addresses are relatives or friends, but I know that in Calexico there were many garages turned into just a room and rented to more than one person---many of whom never even visited the room. The address was also good for a US Post Office Box. Usually the rent was very little, but it helped the family in the US maintain their place. Calexico had a huge post office box area for a town of its size.

I think my point about paying taxes was misunderstood. Yes, it makes no difference for qualifying for attending public school, but there still are a lot of taxes paid.

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
When I first considered putting my daughter into a school across the border in Chula Vista many years ago, I spoke to the school Board in Chula Vista who told me that no matter what, if you didn't live in the states your child had to pay a few thousand dollars a year to go to school in the US if you lived in Mexico, even though I was paying taxes and working in the US...doesn't matter what taxes Mexicans pay when they come to the US and buy things...think about the 30% taxes that items are marked up in Mexico that Americans buy in Mexico. And I never heard of anyone renting a US address...its usually a long lost cousin 8 times removed doing a family favor.
Quote:
Quote:
Diane........

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.