Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bilstein 5100 explanation video
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 05:41 PM
Bilstein 5100 explanation video

Interesting. He show a late model Tacoma 5100 shock and it has 4 grooves. I thought a 5100 only had 3 which is what mine have.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/202051-simple-51...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Interesting. He show a late model Tacoma 5100 shock and it has 4 grooves. I thought a 5100 only had 3 which is what mine have.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/202051-simple-51...

They are great shocks... I had the rear 5100's on my 2005 Tacoma.

Here is that video clip your link takes you to on Tacoma World:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 07:55 PM

I put a set on the rear of my 2005 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner - what an improvement. Jim
KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 09:40 PM

Well at least the narrator pronounced bilstein correctly.:yawn:
Ramon
Banned

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 10:15 PM

Im a bit confused as well. These shocks are great since you can level out the stock "stinkbug" rake on newer trucks without using the cheesy spacers that tweek the front end. I have these 5100's on my 07 and I am almost certain there are only 3 settings... stock, 1.75", and 2.5" lifts. Maybe they came out with another model# since ours, eh TW?

DK, Mulegejim.... The 5100 rears are great as well but not adjustable.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon
Im a bit confused as well. These shocks are great since you can level out the stock "stinkbug" rake on newer trucks without using the cheesy spacers that tweek the front end. I have these 5100's on my 07 and I am almost certain there are only 3 settings... stock, 1.75", and 2.5" lifts. Maybe they came out with another model# since ours, eh TW?

DK, Mulegejim.... The 5100 rears are great as well but not adjustable.

Yes, I know... They are the 5100, for the rear, and the ride was great... was my point. Thanks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 12:40 PM

I went with the OME881 springs and set the 5100 to the mid clip position and that gives me about 3 inches of lift. The ride is a little more stiff than stock, but I like it that way. I also have an Add A Leaf in the rear and a 1 inch block and the Bilstein 5125 shocks. I never checked the other shock clip settings to see if it's stiffer. I don't think it would be much different because each setting is about a quarter inch maybe a little more on the shock body.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
The 4 versus 3 settings are not what confuses me but the difference between the pre-load and the ride adjustable and actually the "cheesy spacer system.The "RA" and the "preload" extends the shock to increase ride height.This lowers the lower control arm and raises the vehicle.The problem with this is your droop travel is decreased.
Plus,how can changing shocks increase travel?The only way is if the stock shocks severly limited the suspension in some way.

I agree Whistler...I think you are spot on. It seems to me using these would only decrease your droop.

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 07:10 PM

From Tacoma World

For pre-2005 Tacomas:

First Gen. OME coil info

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been doing some research on the OME coils and thought I'd share. This is specific to first gens.

The spring capacity ratios are designed to give you a reasonable idea how much more spring capacity you'd want for heavier front accessories to maintain ride quality, such as a bumper/winch. I used the curb weight of my 1998 4wd xtracab manual for these calculations (3345 lbs), it shouldn't make much of a difference if you have a v6 (3410 lbs). I don't know the weight distribution of our trucks so I can't tell you exactly how much weight is being born by the front coils. (So, the accessory weights lower down are likely to be a bit high.) If somebody knows the weight distribution please share so I can update the figures.

Also, heavier accessories on the rear are not going to make any difference as to what coils you want up front. The weight there isn't going on the coils anyway.

By comparing various lift products I got a spring/spacer lift ratio of 1.66 to 1. Meaning a coil (or spacer) that, once under pressure, is 1" longer should provide 1.66" of lift. This took a while to figure out, and I'm not sure it is totally accurate.

Coil 880
Spring length 14.37"
Spring rate 502 lbs/in
Total spring capacity 7213 lbs
Lift amount 1 in (This is from the toytec site and used as baseline.)
Spring capacity ratio 2.15

Coil 881
Spring length 14.76"
Spring rate 502 lbs/in
Total spring capacity 7409 lbs
Estimate lift amount 1.64"
Spring capacity ratio 2.21

Recommended additional accessory weight 91 lbs
Estimated lift with accessories 1.46"

Coil 882
Spring length 15.55"
Spring rate 502 lbs/in
Total spring capacity 7806 lbs
Estimated lift amount 2.88"
Spring capacity ratio 2.33

Recommended additional accessory weight 285 lbs
Estimated lift with accessories 2.02"

FYI: The estimated lift is after the springs settle. Before that they will be about 1/2" higher.

Here is info on the 5100s posted on Tacoma World. at the end of the firsts post is a Bilstein PDF that explains more.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/105166-1st-gen-b...

[Edited on 2-4-2012 by TW]
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 07:50 PM

5100 Bilsteins are good shock. Bilstein is a great company. This is an entry level product for them. It will serve you well, but don't expect miracles. Those are reserved for much more expensive models from that and other companies, like Fox, King, etc.

In fact, unless you have a specialized need, I would suggest you replace your stock shocks with Bilstein OEM Replacement shocks. At a much lower cost, they may well be all you need.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 09:00 PM

i got a set of 5100's on front of the tundy set to the 1.5" height to erase the stink bug and ALMOST level it. i could swear mine have 4 settings 1", 1.5", 2" and 2.5" of lift. i installed a differential drop kit even though it is only specifically called out for 2" and up on these shocks. what's a little insurance?

i run the HD's in the back with Air Lift air bags.

BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 09:32 PM

On a semi-related note, I put the Bilstein OEM Replacement shocks on my Chevy crewcab and they are a great improvement over the OEM/GM version, which were going bad every 35k miles or so.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Ramon
Banned

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 10:10 PM

These are set at I think 1.5" and levels the truck out without messing up any other components and keeps the alignment in spec. This shock was chosen because I needed to replace the worn Bilstein stockers and wanted to level it out at the same time without changing the geometry in the front end. Performance-wise, I'd go with new springs and reservoir shocks. The ride is not much different than stock, maybe a tad stiffer, but its my work truck so doesn't see much action.
Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Tw,Ramon.Is your ride a lot stiffer at the higher lift settings?I bet it is.
The only advantage in the Bilstein is that it can adjust ride height but that is the only difference between the other systems.

[Edited on 2-4-2012 by Ramon]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 08:13 AM

I got the OME881 springs from Wheeler and they say the OME 881 Tacoma Front Coil Set: Average lift from this coil set on a 1995-2004 extra cab v6 Tacoma is 1.75-2". These are made from 16mm wire, have a free height of 375mm, and have a 500lb rate.

The Bilstein 5100 shock for the same truck has three clip settings. I read different specs for the clip settings but never found anything published by Bilstein other than the up to 2.5 inches statement. Some sources say 0, .85 and 2.5. Others say 0, 1.25 and 2.5. If what Wheeler says is true above then I think the mid-clip is closer to the 1.25 since I got 3 inches from my package. I didn't want to go more than 3 inches total because from what I've read the upper ball joint won't handle it, I would need to replace the upper control arm with a uniball. Not ready to do than yet.

An interesting side note, my driver side rear is a 1/2 inch shorter than the passenger rear with a full tank of gas. About 3/16 inch or less near empty. In the front driver side is 1/8 inch lower reguardless of gas tank amount.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 08:33 AM

I found this for the 4 clip 5100.

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/pdfs/E4-WM5-Y323A00.pdf

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.