BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Why didnt we die in Mexico???
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2012 at 11:46 AM
Why didnt we die in Mexico???

Hey guys, My girlfriend and I have been traveling now in our 1987 4Runner for about 4 months headed south to Argentina. We spent a month in Baja in Febuarary and recently another month in Mainland Mexico. I wrote this post on my blog regarding concerns over travel in Mexico. Thought you guys would like it as well.

It seems obligatory for all overlanders to write a “Reflections on Mexico” post after their travels through the country are completed. Not only for collecting their own thoughts but also to share the truth about this “dangerous” country. While Lauren and I were preparing for this trip many people thought we were insane. Oddly, It wasn’t for the fact that we were planning to drive 25,000 miles to the bottom of the world. We were primarily labeled insane for simply wanting to drive into Mexico.

“Cant you just skip Mexico?”

“Have you thought about shipping around Mexico straight to South America?”

“I have heard/read/seen that you are going to be beheaded, raped, robbed, scammed, schemed, murdered, sold into slavery; the instant you step across the border to Mexico.”

Honestly, I cannot really blame them. The media blasts us with reports of daily beheadings, bodies lining the streets, downright bloodbaths. Momentarily while preparing for the trip we would feel a shimmer of trepidation as well. What if our years of research, planning, and reports from people who are actually IN Mexico were wrong and they were all right? Would there be banditos waiting to have their way with our innocent American flesh?

We pushed aside these fears and stood strong, after all… hard facts beat out hearsay everyday.

There is no doubt that there is truly a war going on in Mexico. A bloody drug war, a struggle for power between the all-powerful gangs and the quickly dwindling police and military forces of Mexico. However this war is concentrated primarily to the border areas and rarely involves anyone that is not poking their nose where it shouldn’t belong. I will leave my opinions on America’s drug/immigration policies being a primarily catalyst for this war for another time…

The MAJORITY of Mexico is a beautiful, peaceful, tranquil place. We found plenty of farmers/fisherman/working class people quietly going about their business. We found zero insane banditos hellbent on attacking innocent gringos. We primarily encountered children laughing and playing in the streets, women washing clothes and making fresh tortillas by the roadside, and hombres walking their cows from field to field.

We also found lots of police and military checkpoints searching for drugs and guns along our way. We saw 50-cal machine guns mounted to police truck cabs. It was not rare to be shopping in a supermarket picking up some milk next to a sawed-off shotgun wielding security guard. However after the initial “gun shock” wears off these things start to just be part of the routine.

Never in our entire month journey all throughout the far corners of Mexico did we ever feel remotely in danger. Lost, confused, frustrated, yes. In danger? Never.

Mexico is getting a raw deal. There are tons of RV parks, campgrounds, and other tourist attractions that are drying up and going to waste down here. The media has put a downright HALT to peoples plans to visit this beautiful country. Every single traveler we ran into had the same story to tell, zero problems whatsoever, great people, great food. We are here to tell you, do not be afraid. It is a wonderful place, full of wonderful people, with a rich and vibrant culture.

Fear is a strangle-hold on life, Do not let the fear of the unknown keep you from exploring outside your comfort zone. We have found that good research, a sharp mind, and a easy smile will keep you out of trouble 99% of the time.

Next time you hear someone talking about how dangerous Mexico is, Ask them the last time they were there? And then… point them to our blog.

http://homeonthehighway.com

[Edited on 2-29-2012 by defrag4]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-29-2012 at 12:04 PM

Well said, deFrag--------thanks for your post.

Barry
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-29-2012 at 12:19 PM

I wasn't aware of the "......the quickly dwindling police and military forces of Mexico." Where did you find that out?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-29-2012 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by defrag4
Why didnt we die in Mexico???

lucky role of the dice?

p.s. re your long drive, i think you will find columbia, guatemala, honduras and few other countries along your way to be more dangerous than mexico.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-29-2012 at 12:31 PM
Police Machine Guns????

"We saw 50-cal machine guns mounted to police truck cabs"

Never have seen that, military, yes but police.....no

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2012 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
"We saw 50-cal machine guns mounted to police truck cabs"

Never have seen that, military, yes but police.....no

Not city police anyway.
It would be interesting to know how many different police agencies there are in Mexico these days.
grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2012 at 12:41 PM

The blog could not have been better if the Mexican Chamber of Commerce had written it. I too, am curious about the dwindling police and armed forces you commented about. Your agenda is clear, even without describing how those pesky Americans are causing the problems here in Mexico. That blame just never seems to end. I suppose that none of those drugs ever make it to other parts of the globe...that's for sure...otherwise those places might be responsible for some of the blame game.
Soy Mexicano, FYI.

The harder I work, the luckier I get
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2012 at 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grizzlyfsh95
The blog could not have been better if the Mexican Chamber of Commerce had written it. I too, am curious about the dwindling police and armed forces you commented about. Your agenda is clear, even without describing how those pesky Americans are causing the problems here in Mexico. That blame just never seems to end. I suppose that none of those drugs ever make it to other parts of the globe...that's for sure...otherwise those places might be responsible for some of the blame game.
Soy Mexicano, FYI.

"Blame" ????????? Curiously, I see no "blame" in his post-----just what he saw, and his interpretation of same, as we all do.

Barry
grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2012 at 01:05 PM

There is no doubt that there is truly a war going on in Mexico. A bloody drug war, a struggle for power between the all-powerful gangs and the quickly dwindling police and military forces of Mexico. However this war is concentrated primarily to the border areas and rarely involves anyone that is not poking their nose where it shouldn’t belong. I will leave my opinions on America’s drug/immigration policies being a primarily catalyst for this war for another time…

]

The harder I work, the luckier I get
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2012 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grizzlyfsh95

]

Exactly!!! You have confirmed my point, it seems to me---------"I will leave my opinions on America's drug/immigration policies being a primarily catalyst for this war for another time-----".

That is his opinion, and he does not want to clutter up his post with his opinions at this time-------sounds good to me-----he does not want to discuss "blame" at this time (even tho he did slip it in, sorta).

We all know that there is plenty of "blame" to go around, and he does not want to discuss it at this time-------I applaud that, as it is a quagmire, and he knows it. At least that is my interpretation.

End of point.

Personally I liked his post, and the way he handled it---------even knowing that I don't much agree with him (probably?) on the declared put-off subject of "blame" for the drug war. I spent a good part of my career involved in the "drug war".

Barry
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 2-29-2012 at 02:11 PM

" Why didnt we die in Mexico???"

Don't give up, go back and try again, don't be discouraged, all those media reports can't be wrong...:lol:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2012 at 02:13 PM

Meant Military vehicles with the 50-cals

and yes, I have my opinion on the drug war but this post wasn't about that.

This post is about our experiences in Mexico. Which were 100% positive

[Edited on 2-29-2012 by defrag4]
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2012 at 04:59 PM

you weren't in the wrong place at the wrong time...
the grand roulette wheel. unless it happens to you, you're fine...

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-29-2012 at 05:06 PM

Great report defray.

Love the positive spin.;D

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bigmike58
Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 2-29-2012 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Great report defray.

Love the positive spin.;D

X2!!! Checked out your travel blog, amazing!!!!! Good luck on your travels..I truly envy you kids!! ( I'm old-I can say that now). ;)
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2012 at 07:06 PM

Nice picture of the border crossing before its latest phase.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2012 at 07:12 PM

GREAT and what a great time. Can't wait to get back to the mainland.

I started your blog and I will read more.. Just continue to have a wonderful time, and I am sure you will.

And continue to share your experiences.

Thanks

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2012 at 09:08 PM
Love your blog

and I am sooooo jealous-- in a good way.

Thank you, how delightful.

I went straight-away to the Monarch Sanctuary.
The best photos ever-- felt I was there amongst them!

Will continue tagging along-- if you don't mind a hitchhiker!

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2012 at 08:00 AM

Would love some hitchhikers, maybe Ill start a new post on the board and updated you guys more frequently, We are currently in San Pedro La Laguna, Guatemala taking spanish lessons for 3 weeks. Loving the Guatemalan life as well, aside from gas everything is cheap cheap cheap. $25/week for our caban, $3 for a nice meal in a resturant, 2.50 for a weeks worth of vegetables. :cool:
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 3-1-2012 at 08:18 AM

All in all a well thought out report about his feelings(and mine) on Mexico.

bacquito
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.