BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ROTOPAX in THE BAJA? Nomads weigh in...
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 3-4-2012 at 09:29 PM
ROTOPAX in THE BAJA? Nomads weigh in...

The containers are pricey - $80 and up to hold a mere 3 gallons. Sure, they look trick. But, are they worth the price of admission?

First Aid Rotopax

Road Repair Rotopax

72 Hour Reparedness Rotopax

My NATO cans cost half that of ROTOPAX, can be dropped from a 2nd floor building, and will not blow up (when filled with gasoline)! I don't know how safe ROTOPAX is, but does anyone have experience with this new technology?

ROTOPAX on an expedition-level Jeep

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 3-4-2012 at 09:37 PM

I have a Rotopax gas can for my 690 KTM, my answer to your question (if I understand it correctly) is yes.

The gas can has a spout that has to be pushed in to deliver the fuel. At first I thought it would be inconvenient but in reality it is great. You don't spill any fuel till you are ready for it to spill and it has never leaked a drop until I'm ready for it. The construction is bullet proof, the bracket is strong and functional. Nothing short of a nuclear blast will compromise the integrity of the gas can. I can't speak for the other product lines but if they are anything like my gas can I'd say go for it.....dt

[Edited on 3-5-2012 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2012 at 09:40 PM

But, is this new technology superior to old? I understand that plastic is lighter than steel, but plastic can also melt a lot faster. I figure it is easier to carry on a motorcycle or Sidebyside than steel. Is less bulky and comes in assorted colors, does not rust, etc. But, is it as safe or safer?

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2012 at 09:57 PM

Ken, see my edited post. I don't have any experience with steel cans but I can't imagine them being stronger than modern day plastics. I doubt that you could compromise the integrity of a Rotoplax can, if you did you would probably be more concerned with the damage that has just been done to your Jeep. Here is a picture of my gas can, you can barely see it under the mountain of crap that I am carrying on my bike.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2012 at 10:06 PM

I didn't know that they had all of that other cool stuff, I have a feeling that this is going to get expensive......I hope motoged is following this thread, he is always looking for a better way to carry more crap than he will ever use:lol::lol:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2012 at 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
I doubt that you could compromise the integrity of a Rotoplax can, if you did you would probably be more concerned with the damage that has just been done to your Jeep.

Good point. Technology is changing, and this might be a future upgrade for me, too.

baronvonbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2012 at 06:06 AM

I have two that are placed on the back of my quad and have been in Baja for 1.5 years, and traveled over 1000 miles, Rain, sun, wind and a lot of nasty roads. no problem yet!

Contemplating one for my tequila!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-5-2012 at 09:18 AM

Is there a vent so the fuel pours okay (the 'eco-cans' that they sell in California are horrible without a vent)?

[Edited on 3-6-2012 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2012 at 04:15 PM

Mine is only 1 gallon, they make other sizes but that was as much weight as I wanted on the end of my rack. It isn't supported so it flexes up and down a bit, I had to repair and beef up the bracket. The vent is internal and it works well. The spout is rigid and has a sliding collar on it. you have to push the collar back to deliver the fuel. I thought it was going to be a PITA but it is easy to use. You catch the edge of the collar on the lip of the gas tank and push down, nothing to it, no fuel comes out until you depress the collar so you don't spill fuel all over your bike getting the spout in the filler neck......dt

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-5-2012 at 05:54 PM

If it vents, then great! Thanks David...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-6-2012 at 12:31 AM

I was going to say that Rotopax is just another yuppie upsale on the old red plastic gas jugs...when I see DT's endorsement of it....and you can see that he is not really into Name Brand Gear Bling....:rolleyes:

it looked like I was packing crap that I would never need....David forgets that it takes room to pack a few skirts so they don't wrinkle:biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.