Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: looking for a portable battery powered fish finder
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-6-2012 at 07:14 PM
looking for a portable battery powered fish finder

for my 13 foot Valco. the boat has no battery so i need a unit that works on AA batteries. the unit doesn't really need to be portable but i found this one and it seems like a pretty decent set up.

http://store.humminbird.com/products/271366?product_id=2f7fe...

i'm trying to get dialed in for a run to LA Bay later in the spring and i'd like to have a fish finder for scoping out some structure. anyone have any good ideas you've used on your setup?

also, what VHF channels are used in Bahia?

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-6-2012 at 07:43 PM

last time I checked, they were all over Ebay..not much money Hbird 170's..I have one 12V powered in my boat..works great...In Mulege we use VHF 22 on the water...

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2012 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

also, what VHF channels are used in Bahia?

Town 16

The Coconut Telegraph 68

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2012 at 09:26 PM

Try bigwatersedge.com. They are a San Diego local kayak fishing website, some of those guys have setups that are really dialed in.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 07:36 AM

I went & signed up at bigwatersedge.com. I didn't see a selfcontained FF but they have this VHF radio that is impressive http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/servlet/the-Kayak-Access...

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 08:51 AM

Well quess what ? I just happen to have a portable!!!!

Eagle Magna 111 never been in the salt! and damn few hrs in sweet water...........ITS a RUNNER just come on down,why even the heater works:lol:

Headed for BOLA we will have to spend some time working out a plan of attack,maps and such,should be fun.
Rob
Tin boat fishin in BOLA

[Edited on 3-7-2012 by baitcast]

[Edited on 3-7-2012 by baitcast]

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 10:16 PM

i have 2 VHF's already. use them for comm on the road and on the water.

hey Rob, trade me that FF for a trip to LA Bay and you can show me some of the good spots! then we can go to the other side and stretch some spotfin lips?

castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 09:02 AM

I'm a great portable fish finder and I don't use batteries---just a few cervezas:tumble:

Live Indubiously!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 10:17 AM

Check this out for really portable they have different model to explore.

http://www.amazon.com/NorCross-HawkEye-F33P-Fish-Finder/dp/B...

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 11:08 AM

There are many good portable sonar units on the market today. A internet search will give you dozens for sale.

Here's some history on these units:

Back in the early sixties I used a great new fish-finding product by Lowrance..called 'the little green box'...the first portable, transistorized sonar unit built for sportsfishermen. It went on the market in 1959 for $150...a lot of dinero back then, but had to have one, of course. The improvement in my fishing success was outstanding, and from that experience became a 'structure' fisherman ever after. I used that 'little green box' for many years, both in fresh and salt...and now it's gathering dust in my garage 'treasure box'. I'll get it out..someday?

Uses 2 six-volt batteries..the big square ones, which was a pain.

A collector's item now, but if you can find one...they might be perfect for your intent.

Little Green Box on console of Lund 16', Baja 1975, Playa Requeson clamming day

Lac La Ronge, northern Saskatchewan, Canada - deep water Lake trout

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 06:09 PM

Hey Woody, I'm in Loreto, didn't bother to read the whole post, try Harbor Freight.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 09:27 PM

Thanx Pablo! i didn't know HF sold stuff for the boat! i got a line on a slow-mo unit from Baitcast so maybe you, me and Stan can have a tin can regatta this fall?

PRAY4TUNA!

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 08:56 AM

Slow-mo??

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 4-22-2012 at 09:04 AM

Hey Woody, We're back in Poway. If you're still lookin, try this: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=fish+fin...

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2012 at 09:24 AM

thanks, Paul. Baitcast hooked me up already. gonna put it to the test a week from tomorrowat Bahia LA.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2012 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
Slow-mo??

regarding the suction cup. i have since fixed that little problem and removed the suction cup!

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2012 at 10:30 AM

It looks like the Eagle requires cables to an external transducer. That means I have to drill holes in the hull and have this appendage that can get caught on things during launching or backing up. I've been down that road and didn't like it for a small boat.

I switched to the hummingbird and was a bit happier. The transducer is enclosed in the post which also shoots to the side. I use it to find schooling rockfish here in HMB. The problem is that the post creates a drag on the water. So you have to scan slowly and you have to remove it when moving. A royal pain.

I no longer use them and I suggest you do the same. The reefs at BOLA seemed obvious to me. They begin at the points of the islands and extend outwardly. For islands that are close together, you can assume a submerged reef between. Once the tide starts to move you will see whitewater in places. Make a note: this is a reef. Don't try to ride the whitewater in that 13 footer!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2012 at 10:43 AM

i'll try not to ride the whitewater!

i mounted the transducer to a piece of 1/2"x3"x12"long oak. really hard wood and with an old C-clanp vise grip it mounts and unmounts easily when launching or retrieving.

based on my years bobbibg above reefs and points i have a grasp on the reef sitchiation but thought it would help me get an idea on the deep mounts and reefs that normally you would pass right by. regardless, it will be fun!

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2012 at 10:57 AM

I concur with with Ijor with regards to the reefs and such,BOLA is an easy place to read and is a small boat heaven.

No vast expanses to wonder about but it will still take time to learn the waters just as it does with a stream,river,lake or the salt,but as we have agreed ed to before thats half the fun of it all the hunt,throw away the gadgets,what would many of you do without your GPS,finder braided line and all the other stuff?
Rob

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2012 at 11:19 AM

One reason I never used my finder in the salt was watching one was to much fun,fresh or salt and would miss things birds,boils and the things you need to see to be right on top of your game.
Rob

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.