Author: Subject: SF250 Post Race Quotes
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2012 at 06:24 AM
SF250 Post Race Quotes

March 11, 2012

26th MasterCraft Safety Tecate SCORE San Felipe 250
March 10, 2012—round 3 of five-race 2012 SCORE Desert Series
San Felipe, Baja California, Mexico (248.64 miles)
POST-RACE QUOTES

SCORE TROPHY TRUCK
ROB MACCACHREN, No. 20 (First in class and first overall four-wheel vehicle. MacCachren drove the entire race.)--We started first on the road, which means we were cleaning the trail. At mile four, there was something buried in the ground. We were going 80 miles an hour or so and once I saw it there was no way to miss it. It popped the left front tire immediately. We had to pull over to the side of the road. (Co-rider) Cisco Bio changed the tire. We lost a few positions but once we got going again we started picking them off one at a time. I think we were second behind Andy McMillan. We were just trying to pace with Andy because he started right behind us. When we first got going we were about four minutes behind him at mile 24. Then we started picking up. At about mile 100, I hit a bump and the truck just took off into the desert like I had no control. I thought something broke in the steering so Cisco jumped out and looked at everything. Meanwhile I was checking the steering and everything felt fine. He jumped back in and we took off real cautious. It seemed something had gone very bad and it went great. I was trying to keep pace with Andy and going into Azufre Wash about five to 10 miles in, he was pulled over. We still had to keep a pretty good pace, we knew there were people hovering around five minutes or so and we ran strong all the way to the finish. Everything on the truck was awesome.

B.J. BALDWIN, No. 97 (Second in class, second overall four-wheel vehicle. Baldwin drove the entire race.)--We started far back and the only wind we got was a tailwind. That just made the dust worst. I don’t think today was one of my better days. I didn’t perform as good as I usually do. I’m a little dissatisfied but I’m satisfied with a podium finish for sure. We didn’t have any flats. I’m usually able to do more pre-running, but we were having some issues with the pre-runner. If we would have fixed some stuff on the pre-runner, I think we would have had as much knowledge as everybody else and we could have taken all the right lines and none of the wrong ones.’’

MIKE JULSON, No. 17 (Third in class and third overall four-wheel drive. Julson drove the entire race.)--We had a little miscue in the pits. We couldn’t get a lug nut on. It took us a while to get through it.

TIM HERBST, No. 19 (Fourth in class and fifth overall. Herbst drove to mile 124 and Roeseler drove to the finish). Larry Roeseler said: All in all we had a pretty good run. Tim started 13th and he got to me in fifth at about the halfway mark. San Felipe is always a tough race. There is no shortage of bumps, that’s for sure.

KEN LOSCH, No. 34 (Fifth in class, sixth overall. Losch drove the entire race.)--By mile 30, we had a flat tire. That cost us about eight or nine minutes. Our air jack didn’t work. If you take off that flat tire, we were on a winning pace. That’s the good news. We were driving at pace rate. We were driving at MacCachren, or B.J. Baldwin speed. We had a coil that went down and we lost a bunch of power on the motor.

ANDY MCMILLAN, No. 31 (Leader to near mile 172. McMillan drove the entire race.) We were leading and there was no traffic in front of us. We got by Rob (MacCachren) somehow, because I didn’t see him. We were running a really good pace and we had about a four or five minutes (corrected time) physical lead on Rob. He started closing the gap a little bit. When we made a left turn onto Azufre Wash and came around a corner, the truck was all over the place. The steering rack, where the tie rod bolts into it, got bowed out and I think it just pulled the bolt right out. It was a hell of a race until about mile 175. We just didn’t have the luck today.
CLASS 1

LUKE MCMILLIN, No. 113 (First in class, fourth overall. Justin Smith drove to mile 104. McMillin drove to the finish.). McMillin said: Justin did a great job. He got me the car in third place. This was my first time racing in Class 1 and first time to race the car. It takes a little bit to get used to it, but not a single problem. Not a single flat tire, which is amazing. The tires (BFG) were awesome. The car ran flawless all day.

RONNY WILSON, No. 101 (Second in class….. Wilson drove the whole race.) I didn’t leave anything on the table. We hit a rock and I thought I’d turn the front end apart and I stalled it a few times. We pushed it the last 20 miles. We didn’t have one flat. The motor ran great. We put it to the test today.

RANDY WILSON, No. 112 (Third in class….overall. John Herder started and drove the first 160 miles and Randy Wilson drove from there to the finish.) Wilson: We may be old, but we’re still there. I had surgery and this is the first time I’ve driven really since the Baja 500. John had some problems. Believe it not, a rock flew up and got stuck in the shift linkage in the gear-box and locked the gears up. We couldn’t shift at all. We had a weggie. We had to dig all that out.

DAMEN JEFFERIES, No. 103 (Fourth in class, … overall. Jeffries and Bruce shared the driving. Jeffries said: It was kind of hairy, but I felt like I was reeling them in.

TONY MIGLINI, No. 107 (Fifth in class, … overall. Armin Kremer started and drove the first 125 miles. Miglini drove to the finish.) It was fun.This is my first Mexico race in a Class 1 car and it was amazing. Armin drove first and gave me the car in super solid position.

CLASS 3
DONALD MOSS, No. 300 (First in class. Brother Don Moss started the race and drove to mile 110. Donald drove from there to the finish. Donald said: No problems all day, no flats, nothing. I had a strap come loose on one spare tire but we didn’t lose anything. We just went around.

CLASS 5-1600
ERICH REISEN, No. 552 (First in class. Reisen drove the entire race.). The only problem was we didn’t have a very good suspension. We got beat up pretty bad. The other guys had pretty good suspension in the bumps, but our vehicle held together pretty good. Late in the race there was a pileup but we managed to avoid it by bouncing around the boulders. It was awesome.

CLASS 7SX
ELIAS HANNA, No. 740. (First in class. Hanna drove the entire race.) It was a long day. We had electrical problems before we got to mile 60. I changed the alternator and we went on. We only had one flat. I hit a rock pretty hard and busted the tire.

STOCK FULL
WES BEVLY III, No. 860. Bevly started the race and drove the first 125 miles. Chad Bunch drove from there to the finish. Said Bunch: It was typical San Felipe, pretty rough. Our competition broke off fairly early on so we were trying to take it easy. There was a big pile up near the end but we have four-wheel drive so we went up and around some cliffs.

PRO MOTORCYCLES

CLASS 22
KURT CASELLI, No. 3x. (First in class and first motorcycle to finish. Caselli started the race and rode to mile 30. Teammate Ivan Ramirez rode from there to mile 170 and Caselli finished from there.) He (Ramirez) had the majority of the tough going. It was a rough course and there was a lot of attribition. Ivan rode perfect and it was just a good day. I just did the easy sections. My part was fun, I had a good time. The changes to the course were good. It’s just a little different with a couple of new washes. It’s always good to have something different. Everybody looks forward to that. The course was marked really well and it wasn’t too dangerous. The SCORE crew did a really good job. Ivan said: Everything was perfect. The most difficult part was the Cuevitas Wash.

COLTON UDALL, No. 1x. (Second in class. Udall started and rode the first 30 miles. David Kamo drove from there to mile 106 and Timmy Weigand raced to mile 167. Udall took over there and finished the race. It went great. We had a break leverage that got knocked down just a hair but other than that, everything was fine. We were pushing the limit of beating him (Caselli). We were right at two minutes, two fifteen. Timmy went down and that cost us about 15 minutes. He just pushed it two percent too hard. Overall I think it’s a more fun course. It’s always fun when they put new washes in because the course isn’t so beat up. It’s definitely a better course.

MARK SAMUELS, No. 6x. (Third in class. Samuels started and rode to mile 30. Max Eddy rode to mile 106, then Matt Eddy drove to mile 169. Ian Young then drove to mile 250 and Samuels finished from there. Samuels: The bike was awesome. We decided to do it in the last two weeks and put it all together.

CLASS 20
CHAD BROUGHTON, No. 151x. (First in class. Chad Broughton started the race and rode to mile 30. His dad, Paul Broughton then drove to mile 170 and Chad finished the race from there. Said Chad: We didn’t have anything major, just a little tipover on my part.’’

GABRIEL WILLIAMS, No. 152x. (Second in class. Williams drove the entire race. It was a tight race. I just kept it smooth because I ran it alone.
I had no problems. The course is great. It’s fun, hard, fun hard, fun, hard. Even racing it solo it was great fun.’’

CLASS 21
FRANCISCO SEPTIEN, No. 149x. (First in class. Teammate Roberto Villalobos drove about 100 miles and Septien drove the rest.) Septien: I thought we were in second place. Everything went OK. We had no flats. We just took it easy because there were just two of us. We rode safe and made it to the finish, no problems. The course was rough, but that’s always San Felipe.

CLASS 30
MIKE JOHNSON, No. 300x. (First in class. Johnson, Jason Trubey and Steve Garnett shared the driving. Trubey started the race and drove to mile 70. Garnett took over and drove to mile 170. Johnson finished from there.) Johnson said: The ride was sweet. Steve brought it to me and I guess he knew we were in a good position. He told me just to ride it in carefully. I rode it from 170 in. Jason had only one day to pre-run and we were fortunate that he did as well as he did. Said Trubey: We tried to stay out of the dust as much as possible and tried to avoid all the got-you’s out there. I couldn’t get down to San Felipe sooner to pre-run because of my job.

CLASS 40
JEFF KAPLAN, No. 400x. (First in class. Kaplan started the race and drove to the end of the pavement. Wilson drove to mile 24, then Kaplan took over and rode to mile 106. Wilson drove to mile 195 and Kaplan finished the race from there.) Kaplan said: We started off first and the bike ran great. I tipped over in the dust trying to get past someone at about mile 38. I clipped a rock and fell. Besides that, everything else was good, no problems at all. Ronnie tipped over once and washed the front end out in Matomi.

CLASS 50
ERIC MCKENNA, No. 501x. (Mark Prince (rider of record) started and McKenna took over and rode to the first pit. Dave Potts rode from mile 101 to 195. Doug Smith then rode to mile 170 and McKenna finished the race’s final 30 miles. McKenna said: Our clutch got out of adjustment and that was the worst thing that happened all day. No one had any issues. We prepped well and you couldn’t ask for anymore luck.

PRO ATVs
CLASS 25
JOSH FREDERICK, No. 10a. (First in class. Frederick started the race and drove to mile 95. Teammate Dillon Zimmerman rode to mile 170 and Frederick drove from there to the finish.) It was a great day. We moved up quite a bit through the pack. When I got to mile 95, we were in first overall. My partner had a real knarly section. He rode a good pace and stretched out the lead a little. He got me the bike in excellent condition.

WAYNE MATLOCK, No. 1a. (Second in class. Matlock started and rode to mile 7. Josh Caster rode to mile 24, then Wes Miller took over and rode to mile 94. Caster then rode to mile 170 and Matlock finished race. Matlock said: No one made any mistakes. Everyone rode a really good race and we just got beat. That other team was just faster than us. We’ll come back for the 500, hopefully faster than them.

CLASS 24
RAFAEL TORRES, No. 101a. (Teammate Jose Meza started and drove to mile 30 and Torres finished the race. Other teammates Juan Naranjo, Arnoldo Castaneda and Julio Lizarraga shared in the driving.) Said Torres: It was a little complicated because there were parts where the vehicle was malfunctioning. The carburator got full of dust and we had to take the screws off and clean it out

MANUEL JIMENEZ, No. 109a. (Second in class. Other drivers were Dorian Mendez, Ponce Lopez and Aaron Fernandez. Mendez, who is from San Felipe said: We started out at the back of the pack and came in second (among finishers). We were in first after about mile 60. One of my teammates fell but we recovered. We only had one flat.

=

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.