Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 4WD Article: The Desert Is Not Your Personal Sandbox
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

shocked.gif posted on 3-15-2012 at 06:45 PM
4WD Article: The Desert Is Not Your Personal Sandbox

I saw this on Tom Severin's Badland's Off-Road Events page. Tom Severin is a well-known 4WD Consultant and former Baja Grande participant.

link: http://www.4x4training.com/Articles/EnvironmentalImpact/Dese...

It’s no secret that Americans generate a lot of trash. Millions of tons of it every year. Not all of it ends up in garbage cans, either. Our streets are littered with cigarette butts, gum wrappers, and other trash. Sadly, our parks and other recreational areas are also cluttered with this stuff.

As a conscientious 4-wheeler, you adhere to the Tread Lightly! philosophy. One of its core principles implores you to leave an area in as good or better condition as you found it. You know you’ll be taking supplies with you, so what can you do about your garbage and trash?

This whole process starts even before you leave home. The best way to minimize the amount of trash you generate is to eliminate as much packaging as possible. Take cereal, for example. You don’t need that big box with you. Pack just the bag of cereal inside. A rubber band will keep the bag closed, and you can use the rubber band for other things. Ditto for the plastic bag. If you eat up all your cereal, fold up the bag for future use.

Some products, such as glue and batteries, often come with extra packaging. The individual unit(s) are blister-packed onto a larger package. Take out the one or two items you need for your trip, and leave the rest, including all the packaging, behind.

Beverages present other opportunities for creative packing. If you’re a wine drinker, transfer the wine to a soft plastic container or the Platypus Platy Preserve Wine Preserver Bladder. The wine tastes just as good, and you’re not stuck with an empty bottle. Plus, as noted above, you can use the bladder to hold other stuff if you manage to polish off your wine.

Glass bottles present a real challenge. They break easily, and take up lots of space. In fact, some public lands prohibit glass containers. When possible, consider buying beverages that come in aluminum cans. Once emptied, you can crush them into mini-pancakes for easy storage.

Steel (“tin”) cans also are a bit of a hassle. They don’t crush down well, so unless you can find a new use for empty cans, you’re stuck with bulky trash.

Many folks like to cook while off road. You can save on waste and packaging there, too. Chop or cut up your onions, peppers, carrots, and whatnot at home, taking only the amounts you need for your weekend meal(s). You save space and have less garbage left over.

Food waste presents a special problem for the outdoors. It takes up space, and attracts unwanted critters to the campsites. You’ve heard of the grizzly bears in Yellowstone digging through Dumpsters and climbing into people’s cars. Out here in the southwest, we have a real problem with ravens. Their populations are soaring (700 percent in the past 25 years) because too many people are leaving food waste at their campsites. It doesn’t take much. A few crumbs or morsels at each site add up to a lot of food.

What’s the big deal with ravens? Other than a nuisance, ravens are a major threat to the tortoises. Until it is about five or six years old, a tortoise’s shell isn’t hard enough to protect the animal. A raven can easily puncture the shell and munch away.

Consider reusing your drinking water, when possible. The water used to wash potatoes and other vegetables, for example, can be used to clean your dishes. Afterward, that water contains chunks of food which, as noted above, attracts ravens and other critters. Strain the water through a commercial-size coffee filter or similar product to remove the food particles. Pour that water on your campfire ashes to make sure they’re out.

What about burning trash? That’s a bad idea, too. For starters, it is tough on the environment. The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality addressed this issue in its brochure titled, “Don’t Burn Trash at Your Campsite”:

“Burning trash, even paper, can release acidic gases, heavy metals, particulates, and toxic chemicals such as dioxin into the environment.”

Further, trash burning is a significant cause of wild fires, and the ash can contaminate soil and groundwater. If you must burn anything, use a fire pan so you can collect the ashes and throw them away when you get home. Many areas now require the use of a fire pan even for campfires.
There is a new product on the market that makes it even easier to haul your trash out. The Trasharoo carries up to 50 pounds of trash on your spare tire. A 30 gallon trash bag will fit inside and the sturdy Trasharoo is lashed to the tire so it does not flop around like a burlap bag. www.trasharoo.com

Finally, make a point to pick up trash you see along the way. Unlike hikers and backpackers, you have lots of extra room for trash. And as an off-road driver, you are held accountable for the garbage out there. It may not be fair, but that’s reality. Plus, we want to show everyone else that we are good stewards of the land. Leave your area in better condition than when you arrived. You’ll feel better, and our hobby will be better for it.

generubin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2012 at 08:42 PM

Amen!

From Baja to the Sahara to the Arctic and all places in between.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2012 at 07:08 AM

Leaving trash has always been a pet peeve of mine. Never understood why people do it. A few years ago I had to go to our companies mtn site to do service work. There was a fresh snowfall and when I was driving up there was a young couple parked on the side having fun with their two young kids in the snow. On my way back at the very same spot they had left their fast food wrappers and drink containers on the ground. I picked it up and had hoped to catch up to them on the way down to have a talk with them. What a way to teach kids. I've always wondered if these same people do this at home. In my book they are ignorant scumbags not worthy of the great outdoors.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-16-2012 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Leaving trash has always been a pet peeve of mine. Never understood why people do it. A few years ago I had to go to our companies mtn site to do service work. There was a fresh snowfall and when I was driving up there was a young couple parked on the side having fun with their two young kids in the snow. On my way back at the very same spot they had left their fast food wrappers and drink containers on the ground. I picked it up and had hoped to catch up to them on the way down to have a talk with them. What a way to teach kids. I've always wondered if these same people do this at home. In my book they are ignorant scumbags not worthy of the great outdoors.

Seriously!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 3-16-2012 at 10:11 AM

How about ignorant Americans in need of education and counciling? A lot of city folk come to the "wilderness" with no knowledge that there is no trash truck staffed with minorities to roll along behind them and pick up their trash like when they are at home.

Our biggest problem is that beer cans are evidence, and the kids don't take their evidence back to town. I've been amazed that there is no McDonalds crap on the ground at the party site, just the evidence. Education?

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-16-2012 at 10:18 AM

Ken----------GREAT post. Right on!!!!

Thank you.

barry
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2012 at 10:32 AM

I'm not sure you can educate some people. Look at the city parks. I see trash laying on the ground near or not far from a trash container. Signs are posted no littering or please dispose of trash in container. I once pulled into a mini-market and as I was walking to the store there were two teenage girls setting in a convertible and the driver opens her door and sets a large soda drink on the pavement shuts her door and starts her car. I walked up to her and said please don't do that, the trash can is right there (about 10 feet away) see looked at me kind of startled and got out and put it in the trash can. Maybe she thought I was the store owner I don't know. I did says thanks.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-16-2012 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
How about ignorant Americans in need of education and counciling? A lot of city folk come to the "wilderness" with no knowledge that there is no trash truck staffed with minorities to roll along behind them and pick up their trash like when they are at home.

Our biggest problem is that beer cans are evidence, and the kids don't take their evidence back to town. I've been amazed that there is no McDonalds crap on the ground at the party site, just the evidence. Education?

Vag---------your right------as a Patrol Ranger way back when, I encountered this phenomena daily, and was very thankful that at least they knew, and were sensitive enough, to pick up most of the "non-evidence" and take it with them. I really could not blame them for leaving the beer cans----and sometimes they were even in a plastic or paper bag left for "me" ( or somebody) to pick up, I suppose. They really did not want to be caught with the cans, and I did not blame them. I gathered litterally thousands of beer cans over the years, cashed them in, and put the money into the Office Party Fund.

It all worked out. :spingrin:

"Education" is certainly part of the solution, you're right!!! Heck, I learned some things from Ken's post above that I never knew before.

Barry
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 3-16-2012 at 10:49 AM

excellent post and a good topic indeed. I like the idea of eliminating lots of would be trash BEFORE you come down. We find that most visitors bring far too much packaged foods with them particularly little water bottles. I try to advise people that rentals have a 5 gallon drinking water jug so they dont need to bring water down. Much of the fresh food can be bought here in less packaging.

At the moment we have a spanish immersion school group here who are learning low impact camping skills. In order to get the kids to realize just how much garbage they generate, each student is required to keep and bring back all garbage they create so they are very aware of what they buy because they have to pack it around and take it home....it works great.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2012 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Leaving trash has always been a pet peeve of mine. Never understood why people do it..... I've always wondered if these same people do this at home.

I bet that in most cases the answer is yes.

Pack your trash!

And Shari's suggestion about minimizing would be trash is excellent. Never specifically thought about that. I will from now on.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2012 at 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke

What about burning trash? That’s a bad idea, too. For starters, it is tough on the environment. The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality addressed this issue in its brochure titled, “Don’t Burn Trash at Your Campsite”:

“Burning trash, even paper, can release acidic gases, heavy metals, particulates, and toxic chemicals such as dioxin into the environment.”

I have shared many campfires with friends who have turned the campfire into a trash burning ritual. Next time, I will let everyone know that the effect this is having on our lungs, central nervous systems, DNA? :?: Ignorance is bliss.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2012 at 08:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I have shared many campfires with friends who have turned the campfire into a trash burning ritual. Next time, I will let everyone know that the effect this is having on our lungs, central nervous systems, DNA? :?: Ignorance is bliss.

So are you suggesting all the municipalities in Baja not burn trash at the dumps?

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2012 at 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Quote:

So are you suggesting all the municipalities in Baja not burn trash at the dumps?

I'm suggesting that everyone should carry a spare respirator with them (and damp paper towel inside) if they are near this sort of event. I have a retired Firefighter friend who suffers from the effects of repeated car fire calls. :no:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 11:14 AM

On my next camping trip I'll take some red and yellow glow sticks and set them off and put some logs over and near them to make it look like a real fire. Saving the earth one log at a time.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 11:26 AM

This thread is meant for preserving your good health in order that you can continue your Baja Travels. Take it anyway that you like, but good advice should be heeded.

The author Tom Severin in Baja, navigating the "Mission Impossible" 4WD trail - http://www.4x4training.com/

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
This thread is meant for preserving your good health in order that you can continue your Baja Travels. Take it anyway that you like, but good advice should be heeded.

The author Tom Severin in Baja, navigating the "Mission Impossible" 4WD trail - http://www.4x4training.com/

Well if you're worried about one's health might I suggest a hike or run instead:?: Would want you inhaling all the exhaust fumes....

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

Well if you're worried about one's health might I suggest a hike or run instead:?: Would want you inhaling all the exhaust fumes....

You have a point, BajaBoy! On this particular run, a San Diego Fire Fighter actually hiked the majority of the Mission Impossible trail from the Widowmaker section, past the peak (where you see the Sea of Cortez) halfway to Ralph Shoemaker's house!

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 12:02 PM

Troubles lurk in all deserts. I once took a camping trip through the Mojave, made a fire with a railroad tie. When I crawled out of my sleeping bag in the early morning I had a creasote headache you would not believe. I was in my early thirties then and ever since I've been crazy as a loon.

So was that railroad pollution? "My name is Doug, I have crazy creasote poisoning and if you have it too, call Dewey, Cheatem and Howe, attorneys -- you might be owed millions if you're crazy like me." Paid advertisement.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 12:14 PM

Osprye, i think maybe i've bin pizoned also. mite acount for sum of mi bad decsions. send me a million or to.:lol:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

eureka.gif posted on 3-17-2012 at 12:48 PM
regarding thread about preserving good health

Quote:

the driver would have been healthier in long run if he hiked that road, gotten a little cardio exercise, and mother earth would have been healthier too if he had hiked instead of burning fossil fuels and eroding soils through vehicle use. just saying,... :bounce::bounce:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.