Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: The Road to Gonzaga Bay
Wanderglobe
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2012 at 12:50 PM
The Road to Gonzaga Bay

I had been in San Felipe working out some bus issues and getting some other things done but, as you can see, I had been here a bit too long so I decided to head south to Gonzaga Bay.

I packed up some gear and started on the roughly 150 KM trip south. Part way through I had to stop for refreshments and there was no better place than a cantina that had a bus parked outside advertising my favorite elixir.

The road was smooth sailing and in good shape, having recently been paved, and it was an enjoyable drive with the bus handling well...for the most part.

At the following GPS co-ordinate the paved road stopped and the gravel road began.

http://fms.ws/7JtFv/29.9383N/114.52591W

It was slow going and a bumpy ride but the scenery was lovely. Still, it was getting on in the day so I didn't have time to hang around snapping pics. I didn't want to be driving these roads at night.

After about an hour of slogging slowly down the dirt road I crested a hill, rounded a bend and passed through a military check point. Beyond that was Gonzaga Bay. I had no idea where to camp or what was offered so I took a drive out past the mainly ex-pat houses until I came to the end of the road with a sand spit and a hotel.

I thought I had seen an RV park sign back up the road so I went in that direction but as it was getting dark I couldn't quite make out the road. When I realized I was heading towards the beach it was too late.

Ah well, I'd just try and rustle up some help in the morning and bunk down in the bus for the night. It wasn't all that bad a location to get bogged down mind you.

And the morning view out of the front window wasn't to be scoffed at either.

After a quick coffee I hopped on my bike and rode into the town and was able to recruit some kind Americans to help bail me out of the sand.

***IMPORTANT NOTE*** Bring a shovel, air pump, tire guage and rope when you travel off the beaten path. Don't drive at night and let the air out of your tires OR you will feel like a complete idiot. This comes from experience.

The folks told me about a camp up the road called El Sacrificios that had recently gone through some renovations. They had cabins for rent as well as dry camping palapas although they did put my near an outlet so that I could plug in. The cabins were $60 per night and the palapas were $15. They advertise hot showers but those are only in the cabins. It's cold, salt water for the palapas but I'm sure you could rangle the use of one of the cabins if needed.

I spent 2 nights here but with a terrible wind storm I was only able to get the kayak into the water for all of about 30 minutes. There were some nice beaches in the distance that would have been great to visit and kayaking around the island back by the main town looked amazing as well. There are sometimes whales, whale sharks, dolphins and there are seals here. I could hear them at night.

I finally had to give up with all the wind blowing and I made my way back to San Felipe to get a mis firing issue sussed out with the bus and to take a warm shower. I'm also going to hold off on taking the bus down these types of roads when possible, it's too hard on it. There will be video soon to follow.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-19-2012 at 01:20 PM

WG,
Where is this ?

Don't believe everything you think....
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2012 at 01:21 PM

I think DK had advised you in an earler tread about bringing

Shovel
Air pump
tire gauge
rope or strap
tire repair kit
some blocks of wood for the jack
oh forgot air down

[Edited on 3-19-2012 by desertcpl]
mcpuitar
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2012 at 01:31 PM

Nice post, great pics! Don't kick yourself too much for forgetting a few important items...at least you had your trusty bicycle.

McPedro
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-19-2012 at 01:31 PM

It's been my experience in the long past that those old VW buses can handle anything those rough roads throw at them, with the exception of soft sand or mud-------they are tough vehicles, and can handle the old dirt Gonzaga Road many times over, I am thinking.

Great trip report and photos, for sure.

Thanks

Barry
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2012 at 02:02 PM

Nice report and photos.

Allen R

"motoged", if I may be so bold as to answer your question to WG about that arroyo, I believe that's looking north and is the cut leading down into Salvatierra arroyo just south of Campo Los Delfines.

[Edited on 3-19-2012 by bufeo]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2012 at 02:12 PM

Half of a good time is getting stuck and the other half is getting out. You had a good time thanks for sharing.
Wanderglobe
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2012 at 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
WG,
Where is this ?

That's the dirt road returning from Gonzaga Bay to the paved highway. It may be part of a detour as it was close to where the work was being done.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-19-2012 at 02:21 PM

My guess is that is Arroyo Mal de Orín (on the Baja Almanac) just south of Campo Delfines.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Wanderglobe
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2012 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
I think DK had advised you in an earler tread about bringing

Shovel
Air pump
tire gauge
rope or strap
tire repair kit
some blocks of wood for the jack
oh forgot air down

[Edited on 3-19-2012 by desertcpl]

I repeat:

"you will feel like a complete idiot. This comes from experience. "

No need to rub it in further.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 3-19-2012 at 03:22 PM

Looks you had a great trip otherwise and thanks for posting. Agreed, nice view in the morning...

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Wanderglobe
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2012 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Looks you had a great trip otherwise and thanks for posting. Agreed, nice view in the morning...

Thanks. It was a pretty good trip just unfortunate with the wind.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-19-2012 at 05:56 PM

at least you were able to have some fun, wind or not.

now, if you'd turn that surfboard upside down there will still be some wax on it when you need to ride it. :light:

edit: i had a '68 that was pretty good in baja. i like yours!

[Edited on 3-20-2012 by woody with a view]

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 3-19-2012 at 06:27 PM

Great pictures! You had what is called an adventure. There's something about those VW vans! Love 'em. Although I never had one. My buddy followed me down to Loreto once about 18 years ago in his but he couldn't keep up. If I had one now I would kit the motor for near double the horsepower put on beefy tires.

Back before the road was paved I trashed the skid plate on the Tundra and rattled the bolts of of my grill guard. We pulled several LOCALS out of the sand at Gonzaga. Yes we had tow ropes.
AZMIKE

[*] posted on 3-21-2012 at 06:42 AM
Gonzaga trip

You talked about a military check point just before Gonzaga. Did they require FMM's or similar or were they just checking for drugs?

We are heading down to Gonzaga in May.

Beautiful pics.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-21-2012 at 06:56 AM

Wanderglobe, Thanks for the report and the pictures.:D
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 3-21-2012 at 07:00 AM

The military check points....including the one here at Gonzaga Bay...don't ask for FMMs. They are checking for drugs and weapons. The soldiers are uniformly pleasant and professional...ver nice young kids.

BB:-)
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-21-2012 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonanza bucko
The military check points....including the one here at Gonzaga Bay...don't ask for FMMs. They are checking for drugs and weapons. The soldiers are uniformly pleasant and professional...ver nice young kids.

X2 :cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2012 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonanza bucko

man I wish these ver nice young kids would set up shop somewhere else. those of us across the bay get stopped comin and goin every trip to the ranch!:lol:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2012 at 12:03 PM

I know this is a bone of contention for David, but the military can and will ask for identification (especially at Tomatol). It has not happened to me at Ranch Grande.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.