Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: DKs New Tacoma Coming Soon
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 06:13 AM
DKs New Tacoma Coming Soon

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/reviews/drives/2012-toy...
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/reviews/drives/2012-toy...

He better get in line now---they're only making 750 of them this year...
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 06:44 AM

With only 750 being built for 2012 the prices might offer no discounting.
This truck was at the Fred Hall show in Long Beach. It lacked a "WOW" factor in my opinion. Interior is basic, looks too much like my 2WD Highlander. However, I will seriously consider buying one. Toyota has strong reliability and good resale value.
Fred Hall show starts this week in San Diego (Del Mar) and they might have it on display there. Worth a look for sure.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 06:57 AM

My God. 32-35k for a truck that can tow how much? Can carry how much?

This is a truck, right?

[Edited on 3-20-2012 by Hook]

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 07:27 AM

Why spend that much when you could get a Tundra for less?

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 07:33 AM

It's time for more HP (236hp) with better mileage than 21 highway.
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 07:38 AM

I have a 2002 4wd Tacoma that gets 16/21 MPG. I wonder why that hasn't improved in last 10 years.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
I have a 2002 4wd Tacoma that gets 16/21 MPG. I wonder why that hasn't improved in last 10 years.

The horsepower has probably increased since then, no?.

Even the F150s whimpiest V-6 has 302 hp.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 08:03 AM

The "gas mileage issue" is a mystery and a nightmare. My old 1989 Crysler le Baron 4-dr 4-banger automatic got 38 mpg consistantly on the highway, and had all the hp that I needed------------38 mpg!!!!!

------and now some 23 years later look at the mileage on supposedly "efficient" vehicles?!?!?!?!?!?!

Go figure!!!!!

Barry
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

and the ecoboost 3.5 v6, 4 by 4, has 365 hp with 420 #'s torque and is rated 15/21

Step up Toyota! At least up the mileage and retain the same HP as an option.

[Edited on 3-20-2012 by tripledigitken]
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

Horsepower still the same for the new one. I have a 2005 V-6 automatic TRD and the power is 236 and the mileage is about what has been mentioned above. Jim

http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/specs.html
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
The "gas mileage issue" is a mystery and a nightmare. My old 1989 Crysler le Baron 4-dr 4-banger automatic got 38 mpg consistantly on the highway, and had all the hp that I needed------------38 mpg!!!!!

------and now some 23 years later look at the mileage on supposedly "efficient" vehicles?!?!?!?!?!?!

Go figure!!!!!

Barry

Well, I would question your math or you took a reading one day, coming back to Redding from Mt. Shasta or Lassen.

Here is what the guvmint says it got WITH A MANUAL TRANNY. Usually the EPA figures are low (as vehicles break-in, they tend to get better mileage) but not almost 100% off. I'm going by the EPA combined figure.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/5521.shtml

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 08:48 AM

Hook--------we have had this discussion before, or at least someone on this board refuted my statement with similar, or the same, "gov facts". This is one of several reasons why I look at published "facts" and "stats" with suspicion and doubt. I KNOW what my le Baron got on the highway as I had it for about 5 years, and it was consistant. My present 1997 Camry gets 29 (consistantly) on the road, and it has the v-6 in it, and is automatic. Maybe I am just lucky?!?!?!?

My '94 Ford F-250 stick-shift 5-speed with a 460 v-8 only gets 10mpg consistantly, so it consumes what I save with the cars.

Barry
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 09:03 AM

As far as diesel engined vehicles are concerned, and, I assume, gas engines as well, the government pollution standards restrict various chemical compounds in the exhaust gasses. Meeting those standards are the focus of new engine design, and fuel economy is secondary.

The rest of the world, with it's expensive fuel costs, focuses on fuel economy. That's why you can buy small diesel powered SUV's, cars and trucks everywhere but here that get much better milage than anything we can buy here.

Kia makes a 4x4,crew cab-forward flatbed that gets 25 mpg. Just can't get it here. Diesel Tacos, Monteros, 4x4 mini vans getting 30+mpg............

*sigh*

I don't need to go fast, or haul a lot of stuff, but I want to go cheap!
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 09:11 AM

I guess I'm wondering why you ever sold a 1989 LeBaron that got 38 mpg, then. Cars that get that mpg are much more cramped these days.

Unless you sold it to Ripley's, of course. Or maybe to a clandestine oil company front that buys up efficient vehicles like that. :lol:

I just got back from AZ for a week of baseball. On the way up, I was a lone passenger with nothing but clothes in my F350 SuperCab, long bed, 4x4. 7.3L Powerstroke diesel. Probably doing 75 mph on freeway for 80% of the drive.

I got 17.89 mpg, based on my analog trip meter on the dash. Stock tire size, the Michelin LTX MS2s, running at about 60psi. 3.73 rear. And I am running an increased hp setting with my engine tuner, meant for towing. Mexican diesel. I never had to burn ULSD as I filled up at the border and made it back to Mexico easily. Diesel was 3.00/gallon, based on an exchange rate of 12.6.

I was most pleased.

Not bad for a vehicle that can tow about 12,500 lbs, legally. that might be close to the combined weight of THREE Tacomas.

I will never sell this vehicle, barring a major problem. 188k on it.

I guess my point is, my mileage is about what that Tacoma will get.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 09:42 AM

Hook--------nope, not "Ripley's" :lol:

I sold it to a good friend's daughter who was going away to College and needed a car that got great mileage. I never liked that car ('89 le Baron) for the same reason that I have never liked any Chrysler-------tinny, noisy, lousy suspension, and uncomfortable, to me.

Your truck sounds like a dream-truck--------hang on to that puppy!!!! The only diesel I ever owned was a low-mileage used 1974 Mercedes 240 4-banger and it was a nightmare-----spent $5000+ on engine "repairs" & tuneups over a 12 month period and it STILL did not run right. It only got 17 mpg, which was a real bummer. Sold it, and never looked back------I will stick with gas burners, for now.

I love my F-250 Truck, but at 10 mpg it is a heart-stopping moment when I fill the 37 gal. tank these days.

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 10:10 AM

Not for me, I love the one I got now too much...

Two nice things about this special Baja edition Tacoma is the added suspension and the All Terrain TA's (over the Rugged Trails). What I don't care for is the 'loud' painted graphics. Baja with a peninsula map next to the word Baja would be cool.

The price isn't much different than the 2010 4WD Off Road TRD I got, but mine is a double cab (4 door), and the one in this article is an Access Cab.

The reviewer also was not informed well when he complained that it didn't have a front locker or limited slip... In fact it does in low range, called A-TRAC... and it is a 'hyper-limited slip' but actually is almost no-slip, like a locker. Amazing traction. In high range the limited slip is called TRAC and works very well, out climbing my previous Tacomas easily.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 10:49 AM

I would like to drive this new truck to see how well it handles in the rough. But I really wish the design engineers would talk to and ride along with real off roaders to get a better feel for what is needed in an off road truck. What they did was a good start now they need to finish it. Here is a good video on the subject.

http://expeditionportal.com/vehicules/51-toyota-other-models...

[Edited on 3-20-2012 by TW]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I would like to drive this new truck to see how well it handles in the rough. But I really wish the design engineers would talk to and ride along with real off roaders to get a better feel for what is needed in an off road truck. What they did was a good start now they need to finish it. Here is a good video on the subject.

http://expeditionportal.com/vehicules/51-toyota-other-models...

[Edited on 3-20-2012 by TW]

Nice video... good A-TRAC vs. lockers explanation too. Thanks Tom!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 11:37 AM

Good video and useful information. Joe's comments about the ABS were interesting. When I'm on back roads and not using 4WD (most ABS systems I'm familiar with disengage when in 4WD) I disengage the ABS by removing the fuse controlling it. On a past vehicle, Chev 2500, I installed a toggle switch to interrupt the ABS.

I see in the video that Joe used the Access Cab version, but it looks like the black one the Pop. Mechanics folks used is the full 4-door Double Cab model. I know the cargo bed is shorter on the DC, but is the wheelbase the same?

Allen R
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.