Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Trawlers
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 03:35 PM
Trawlers

Today I counted eight trawlers in the Mulege area..Conception bay was thick with nets...

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 03:49 PM

Those nets have killed the Bay of Conception. The inshore fisheries are dead. A few pelagics make it there year after year, fewer each year. Yet, they continue to wrap the whole area with gill nets, trawls, etc.:no:
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 05:01 PM

:fire:

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 05:19 PM

kinda like oil... there to be used.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 05:21 PM

rts551, there to be used....
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 05:26 PM

Cypress, How do we decide what is to be conserved and what is not? I was being slightly sarcastic to make the point.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 05:54 PM

When the mature adult fish are gone the fishery is in trouble. How many large snapper and grouper do they catch in the Sea of Cortez? Not many. Pelagics come and go, they're smaller and less plentiful each year. The resident fish? Mostly gone.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 06:47 PM

One argument is that the ocean is very large, 71%of the earth, and will always have fish. you may just have to go to another spot. How is that different than the argument about oil?
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 07:14 PM

It's not just down there,last night at dusk I counted 6 trawlers positioning in the bay in front of the house here in Punta Banda they work until dawn and then roll up. :fire::fire:
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Those nets have killed the Bay of Conception. The inshore fisheries are dead. A few pelagics make it there year after year, fewer each year. Yet, they continue to wrap the whole area with gill nets, trawls, etc.:no:

And cause you say it, it's true, right? :rolleyes:
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Cypress, How do we decide what is to be conserved and what is not?

We don't. "They" do. "They" don't seek, nor do "they" need our blessing or criticism. And trust me, this isn't the place to get all the facts. This thread is a perfect example of that.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Seiners, trawlers or gill netters?

Yes
The laws are on the books and have been long enough to set priorities if officials wanted to resurrect the inshore fisheries they could have paid attention years ago. I'm going to say Cypress is spot on! The sky has fallen. I am just so frustrated with the whole fisheries subject get sick just thinking about it. So don't ask me to argue a point. I just don't have the heart any longer.:barf:

trawler.jpg - 45kB

Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 02:32 AM

LaPazGringo you are intitled to believe whatever you want. The Sea of Cortez consists of over 60,000 square miles of water. A good portion of that area is barren. That's one of the reasons the commercial boats concentrate in certain areas.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 03:41 AM

Who cares what kinda boats? Big boats with lots of big nets...Way too many of them...I have been here for over 30 years and have never seen this many....Wasnt/isnt there some sport fish organaztion that was leading the charge on enforcement of laws? What happened to that..The were a few years where we didnt see so many...

acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 05:29 AM

Unfortunately thier pesos are paid in a more direct route than my sportsmans' pesos.:no:

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
LaPazGringo you are intitled to believe whatever you want. The Sea of Cortez consists of over 60,000 square miles of water. A good portion of that area is barren. That's one of the reasons the commercial boats concentrate in certain areas.

And it's also widely considered to be the most pristine body of water on Earth, which is why National Geographic is here year round. All the fear-mongering and ill-informed dire predictions on this forum remind me of the doomsdayers of the 70s and 80s who made all sorts of outrageous claims about the Amazonian rain forest.
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 06:48 AM

It was one of the most pristine bodies of water . Where have you been ?
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ligui

Check your facts. It's easy to do. Just cause some guys on an internet forum tell you the Sea of Cortez is "dead" doesn't mean it's true. It's honestly laughable...
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 07:12 AM

Sorry LaPazGringo , not looking a fight , but i've been diving for years an i've seen the facts with my own eyes . Ask every fishermen if they think the fishing and sealife is getting Better ? I never said it was Dead , but maybe you should look at the facts , get in the water and see the changes that have taken place over the years it's sad.

Say what you want , it isn't what it was . And that is a fact.:spingrin:
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaPazGringo
Quote:
Originally posted by ligui

Check your facts. It's easy to do. Just cause some guys on an internet forum tell you the Sea of Cortez is "dead" doesn't mean it's true. It's honestly laughable...

Whoa! It ain't funny! And yes you're welcome to voice your opinions and I believe that those of us expressing the "dead" description of the SOC have seen the decline of the fisheries over a long period without any enforcement of the law, in most areas, and are frightened that there is little hope to rescue an amazing resource. I doubt the bounty of the SOC 30 years ago will ever be seen but there examples world wide of fisheries recovering.
However, there also examples of fisheries not recovering because of stocks being taken below a level for recovery. ( 1 example: Pudget Sound cod) I really didn't want to get into this again but when you say "Check your facts." the red flags went off and I had to respond. I would like to see a reference to where these "facts" are. And, Yes, I still fish. I just don't catch all the time anymore.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.